Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crohn's Disease/IBD

Default Crohn's Disease/IBD

I was wondering if there were anyone else here suffering from Crohn's dicease or any Inflammatory Bowel Dicease?

If yes, how do you live with it? It's been really hard for me to accept.
    Even if I'm not sick at this time I know it will come again sooner or later and I already feel scared.

Default coping with crohn's

Hi

hehe.. not into baby stuff myself but saw your post come up in google news so i thought i'd respond. i did used to be a baby so i guess that counts

I have crohn's and was diagnosed about 6 years ago. Its not been too bad for me so far compared to what i hear from other people on the internet. Its easy to read stuff and get scared but you have to believe that everybody's crohn's is different. Many people go into remission for years and have very little problems, and for some life becomes a bit more challenging.

What you have to keep in mind when reading stuff on the internet, is that many people who manage crohn's well are not likely to be hanging around websites/forums and are getting on with their lives. So its rare you hear the positive stories.

Try not to be scared my friend. Crohn's rarely kills people, It's just a bit of pain in the ass sometimes.. excuse the pun

If you're following a unhealthy diet (smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods, lots of sugar etc) it would be a good idea to try and improve that.

Hope this helps, I don't really want to lecture you on what you should do as i'm no position to.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by mattko View Post
    hehe.. not into baby stuff myself but saw your post come up in google news so i thought i'd respond. i did used to be a baby so i guess that counts
    Even though most on this site are into baby stuff this Incontinence board is for well, people with Incontinence of any level. Actually anyone in the world is welcomed on this site even if they don't use or like diapers. Most of the topics here are outside the realms of that sort of stuff anyways, since well talking about this stuff gets old and boring really fast.

welcomed on this site even if they don't use or like diapers. Most of the topics here are outside the realms of that sort of stuff anyways, since well talking about this stuff gets old and boring really fast.
    Ahh.. thanks for pointing that out thats a nice rabbit BTW

What a nice guy you are mattko to take the time to register on to this site just to help someone else. Even though infantilism isn't your thing, like Fire2box said, you're always welcome here. We are also a help and self help site. Kudos to you for being a helpful person.

As for Crohn's disease, I know it can affect people differently. I know a friend of a friend who is having a difficult time with it. She keeps it under control, but she is very strict with her diet. As you may know, my wife is diabetic, and she has learned to control her diet. It's not something anyone enjoys doing, but it is so much better than being sick.

Years ago I developed a bleeding ulcer. The only thing that really makes me sick is alcohol, which mean I can't drink. I was a heavy drinker before the ulcer, so I think that maybe someone was looking out for me. I could have destroyed myself. Now, I simply don't drink. There are times I would really like to socially drink with the rest of the family, but I know how sick it would make me feel. My wife doesn't drink either because of its sugar content.

My point is that in order to feel well, you will probably have to make some sacrifices, but it can be done. After a while, it will seem normal. I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mattko View Post
    Hi

I have crohn's and was diagnosed about 6 years ago. Its not been too bad for me so far compared to what i hear from other people on the internet. Its easy to read stuff and get scared but you have to believe that everybody's crohn's is different. Many people go into remission for years and have very little problems, and for some life becomes a bit more challenging.

What you have to keep in mind when reading stuff on the internet, is that many people who manage crohn's well are not likely to be hanging around websites/forums and are getting on with their lives. So its rare you hear the positive stories.

Try not to be scared my friend. Crohn's rarely kills people, It's just a bit of pain in the ass sometimes.. excuse the pun

If you're following a unhealthy diet (smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods, lots of sugar etc) it would be a good idea to try and improve that.

Hope this helps, I don't really want to lecture you on what you should do as i'm no position to.

M.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to join and reply my message! It's really kind of you, and you seem to be quite wise and open minded!

Welcome here by the way!

You are right about everything you said.

Since my doctor discovered I had many food allergies I try to avoid the food I'm allergic too and since then it's much better! It's kind of difficult because the list is impressive: milk, eggs, apricot and all fruits from the same family, banana, onion, almonds and all kinds of nuts, corn, strawberries, (and all other red fruits like raspberries, blueberries,..), cabbage, and all others from the same family (cauliflower, brussel sprouts,...), chicken, turkey, apple, peer,... sigh ^^

Beside that I'm a candy addict, it really difficult for me not eating sugar. I'm such a foodie...I just can't help it. It's like a drug.

Glad to see you're coping well with the Crohn and thanks again for your reassuring post.

Hey, I wish I could offer you some help. I know somone that it ended his career so he and his wife had to move, though he had additional complications with his. He and his wife were athletic trainers, and their home was based on their both training the team. When he was diagnosed he could not train or compeat on his own personal level anymore. It broke my heart to see him this problem to start with, and then to loose everything because of it. Though now that he is in a career that is not as hard on his body he is doing better. I hope that you are able to find a balance in life.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsGurl View Post
    Hey, I wish I could offer you some help. I know somone that it ended his career so he and his wife had to move, though he had additional complications with his. He and his wife were athletic trainers, and their home was based on their both training the team. When he was diagnosed he could not train or compeat on his own personal level anymore. It broke my heart to see him this problem to start with, and then to loose everything because of it. Though now that he is in a career that is not as hard on his body he is doing better. I hope that you are able to find a balance in life.
    Hey LuvsGurl,

Thank you, Actually I got fired because I was too sick I was head waiter in a restaurant but couldn't cope with the job anymore...never missed a day of work thought, I went to work everyday, with like 10-12 diarrheas a day, fever and all (a few soiling too) I lost weight and had no more strenght. It was getting more and more difficult. Then my boss decided I wasn't capable of working there anymore. Actually he feared I would be off work sooner or later. It was a pity because I made good money and customers liked me as well as my co-workers.
    As the guy you know, I stopped looking for jobs in my domain, and now I do feel better. This lifestyle change helped me a lot.

Zeit

Hey,

Been a while since I posted but I felt this was a good reason to come back from the dead.

I was afflicted with Crohn's disease back in 2004 and it took two years, countless medical strategies/procedures and 2 doctors to finally diagnose me 2 years later. My first "flare-up" was so bad that when I first was admitted to the hospital, I was told I couldn't leave for 10 days and the meds were terrible as well.

I've been in remission for a few years now, which is great, but it came at the cost of a few lifestyle changes; I cut down on red meat, milk, spice, alcohol... not to say I don't indulge in any of those things, just not as much as I did.

It is a little freaky to think it will come back, but I'm trying to get along without meds and so far so good. So long as I eat well and rest, I can work and stress myself just as hard as anyone else, with no painful repercussions.

My advice is, regretfully, not to push yourself as hard as you used to. Not at least until you have an idea of your physical limits. Like mattko said, everyone's experience is different. Just don't despair.

TeenbabyTOM

Default i suffer from ibd

Its awful always having that constant fear of not making it to the toilet then again i do think my self lucky that i dont have chrons all you chrones and ibs sufferers out there i symathise