Thread: Ubuntu 9.10

Default Ubuntu 9.10

Ubuntu 9.10 is out now, so what are people's opinions of it?

Mine is that it hasn't made much of a difference to me. Since I upgraded to 64 bit at the same time, my sound card has stopped working (no drivers).

The second problem I found was that by default, it now displays the user accounts at the startup screen, rather than the username/password box of before. If you are using 2 accounts, one for TB stuff, and one for normal stuff, I'd advise you to turn this off. You can't do it in the Login Screen settings however.

Google finds these instructions (run in terminal):
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true
    About the only other change I noticed is that Firefox 3.5 is now the default (and no longer called Shiretoko).

I have got as far as downloading it. I havent yet had a chance to install it but i was gonna try running my media center off the USB key and see how it runs. Ill keep you posted

Butterfly Mage

I downloaded it too but have not installed it. I need to pick up a 4gb usb drive first. it looks reasonably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Fox View Post
    I have got as far as downloading it. I havent yet had a chance to install it but i was gonna try running my media center off the USB key and see how it runs. Ill keep you posted
    You won't want to run a swap partition from that USB key/thumb/flash drive; it'll suck the life right out of it.

I've had Karmic Koala as a VM for a while now... kept up with the updates and everything, so it is essentially the same final product now. I already had FF 3.5 on 9.04 when the final was released, so so far I haven't bothered upgrading my 9.04. It works perfectly, so why change really? I'm stubborn. Plus, ext4 doesn't seem to quite click with some of my hardware yet, so... I'll give it more time before I fully migrate.

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    You won't want to run a swap partition from that USB key/thumb/flash drive; it'll suck the life right out of it.
    Yah but a 4GB key is only like $10. < wow when i was in highschool, a 128MB USB drive was like $100

I've not upgraded yet, but what does everyone think of the Empathy?

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    I've not upgraded yet, but what does everyone think of the Empathy?
    I'm still using Pidgin. I can't be bothered to try out the new IM program.