Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood Carving Commissions

Default Wood Carving Commissions

I've talked about this once or twice, but now I think I'm really ready to do some real commissions. I've been wood carving for a few years now, and I think I'm starting to get pretty good at it. I've just started working on 3D sculptures, and the angle I'm working on is almost finished. I have all the pieces I've worked on here for those who are interested in seeing what I can do Message - My Photo Gallery.

I can do two types of carvings. One is a chip carving, which is carving a picture or design into a piece of wood. It's not 3D, it's just an etching. I'm sorry I don't have any examples of them in my gallery, but the ones I've done were for a friend. He wanted me to make him eight charms, each of which were very detailed. It was a lot of fun. The other type is a 3D carving like the angle I'm making. I've gotten really good at those and I'm assuming that's what most people would want from me.

If anyone wants to commission something, just send me a PM with the details or a drawing of what you want. I'll also need to know the colors if you want me to paint it. If your going to send a drawing, it doesn't have to be very detailed, I only need a coloring book type picture, just the basic details. If you just explaining it to me, I'll send you the sketch drawing before I start carving and you can say if you like it or not.

Although I feel very silly asking this, I really don't know how to work out the money. I'd have to ship the carving, but I'm not sure what is the best way for the commissioner to pay me. Would mailing a check or cash work because that sounds pretty easy. Also sense I've never sold any of my work, I don't know where to range it price wise. I'm thinking $20 for a basic 3D carving ($60+ for something like the angel) and $5-15 for a chip carving depending no how detailed it is. If anyone thinks this is too high or low, please say something as I'm kind of in the dark here.
    Last edited by link; 09-Nov-2009 at 04:33.

Those are really, really cool!

Wouldn't setting up a PayPal account be more convenient than mailing a check?

I was thinking about PayPal, but I don't know anything about it. Do you have to pay for it?

PayPal is free for a personal account. I would link your bank account to it in order to get verified and take personal payments to avoid transaction fees (or have the buyer pay them themselves).

That sounds perfect. I'll set it up as soon as I can. Thank you very much.

Edit: I just did and it's all working out well. Now I'm trying to sell the projects I've currently made on Ebay. Hope it works.

---------- Post added 14-11-2009 at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-11-2009 at 10:20 PM ----------

Normally I wouldn't double post, but it's been over a week so I don't think anyone else is going to post before me.

Edit: well it looks like there's a cool new double post combiner. I like it.

I have an update on the angel I've been working on, and it's turning out perfectly. I'm so excited. It is so close to being done, and everything you can see in the picture is done. I just need to finish the back and the base.
    Last edited by link; 04-Nov-2009 at 04:19.

Very nice, Link. I like the details, and the "blade-mark" appearance of the piece.

They look awesome Link, you are very talented, and you should rightly try to make some money out of it =) I'd be interested myself if I didn't live across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Very nice, Link. I like the details, and the "blade-mark" appearance of the piece.
    If by "blade-mark" you mean the fact that you can see the cuts, that's just because I haven't cleaned it up yet. I'm sorry to say that I will be removing those marks with some careful cutting and a nice piece of sandpaper. The good news is that it's just about impossible to get rid of all of them. I'm glad you like it though, because that's given me some ideas on how to Finnish some pieces in the future. Thanks.

Arlikra, I am trying to make some money off of it, and I'd be happy to give free shipping to my first commissioner. What do ya say to that?

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    If by "blade-mark" you mean the fact that you can see the cuts, that's just because I haven't cleaned it up yet. I'm sorry to say that I will be removing those marks with some careful cutting and a nice piece of sandpaper. The good news is that it's just about impossible to get rid of all of them. I'm glad you like it though, because that's given me some ideas on how to Finnish some pieces in the future. Thanks.
    I like to leave most of the tell-tale "blade-marks" on my wood carvings, they let the viewer know at a glance that the object has been carved by hand. I have sanded and 'cleaned-up' some carvings so much that, after painting, you could not tell if they had been molded from clay, cut and polished from stone, or if they were just another mass-produced piece of plastic. If you like the ultra smooth and clean look, you might want to use a Dremmel tool. They are somewhat expensive, about $100.00 for the tool and the various sanding and shaping accessories, but they do a wonderfull job. Anyway, good luck on your bussiness venture.

I was going to say "redneck!" asuming you were carving little ugly bear statues out of trees you cut down..... But that stuff looks gucking amazing! (gucking???)