Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New legislation

Default New legislation

So it seems soon a bill to decriminalize marijuana on a federal level is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Article

For the first time in nearly 25 years, NORML is spearheading a campaign in Congress to end the federal prohibition of marijuana. Congress created cannabis prohibition, and the courts say time and again to reformers: ‘Congress is the place to change marijuana laws.’

Therefore, NORML has teamed up with Democratic Congressman Barney Frank of Massachusetts to draft legislation that would strip the federal government of its authority to arrest responsible cannabis consumers.

Yes indeed, for the first time in more than two decades, we will shortly have legislation in Congress that, if enacted, would end the federal prosecution of adult marijuana consumers!Based on the recommendations of the 1972 National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse (also known as the Shafer Commission), this proposal would eliminate all federal penalties prohibiting the personal use and possession of up to 100 grams (3 ½ ounces) of marijuana. Under our measure, adults who consume cannabis would no longer face arrest, prison, or even the threat of a civil fine. In addition, this bill eliminates all penalties prohibiting the not-for-profit transfers of up to one ounce of pot. In short, for the first time since 1937, the possession, use, and non-profit transfer of marijuana for personal use by adults would be legal under federal law!
    Original Article can Be Found Here

Heres hoping it Accomplishes something.

i'll put down a $5 donation bet for this site that either that bill gets passed by either the house/senate or ye ol' Georgey "coke nose" Bush veto's it.

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, considering the amount you can actually carry is fairly low and that it's for personal use, then I see no problem in this legislation passing.

Not that I'm one to smoke it, but it's good to see this issue is finally going somewhere. Not stagnating in limbo...

At last, someone seems to have gotten some sense, and grown a brain.. Although I doubt the bill will be passed, it is a good first step.

I uncle has a legalize card, and he is allowed one plant already. So I dont see why this matters that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_d View Post
    I uncle has a legalize card, and he is allowed one plant already. So I dont see why this matters that much.
    Your uncle has a card form the state. Should the federal government decide to prosecute him he could be charged with the possession and production of an illegal substance and would face jail time and fines. This bill would make it legal for him Without The threat of prosecution.(in other words your uncles plant is illegal so i wouldn't be typing about it on the internet)(loose lips sink ships)

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    i'll put down a $5 donation bet for this site that either that bill gets passed by either the house/senate or ye ol' Georgey "coke nose" Bush veto's it.
    I agree, as long as Bush is in office, a Bill anything like this is going never ever going to get passed him. Best to wait until Obama becomes president, waaayyy better chance of him passing it. In fact I would be surprised if Obama vetoed it. Even Clinton would be more likely to pass it than Bush haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered4lyfe View Post
    Your uncle has a card form the state. Should the federal government decide to prosecute him he could be charged with the possession and production of an illegal substance and would face jail time and fines. This bill would make it legal for him Without The threat of prosecution.(in other words your uncles plant is illegal so i wouldn't be typing about it on the internet)(loose lips sink ships)
    :whs0be: Yes this is correct. Even though it is legal under state law for him, the federal government could raid his house any day and confinscate(sp?) all his marijauana and paraphanalia, legal or not, then he will be arrested. All because it is still illegal under federal law, and federal law over rides state law in America. It is pretty all pretty pathetic, I think.

Not too long ago several legal marijauna patients houses were raided in California, Montana and I think some other states too.

I think it's completely ridiculous. If marijuana is important to someone for pain relief or something like that, then I see no reason to arrest them. Why do we have stupid laws and why does the government have to screw stuff up? It's easy to get your hands on far more harmful things legally. -_-

The idiot president will probably veto this or something...

This won't get passed in Congress. The Liberal wing of the Democratic party doesn't have enough power to force this through. It will die a quick and painless death in Committee