Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do 'extended wear' diapers have wetness indicators?

Default Why do 'extended wear' diapers have wetness indicators?

If you have a diaper that's meant for 8-12 hours of wear and intended to absorb multiple voids, just what is the purpose of a wetness indicator? If you have a need for such a diaper, you likely aren't going to be dry by then, and you won't be changing it after one wetting either..

I would think cost could be reduced by removing the ink and machine used for applying it too.

Thoughts? Comments? I don't see the purpose of it!

EmeraldsAndLime

To see how wet it actually is. The volume of pee you actually void can vary - you may need to change after 8 hours, or you might still be going okay after 11.

@ original post: Hmm, yeah. I agree, They could save alot of money just by removing that proccess. I can't think of any other reason they would have it on there. Maybe incase they absorbed something along the way? So you could tell if it was 'defective' as it were?

Then again, maybe it's just an excuse to get us to pay more. But they do still have to pay for the machine and ink, not to mention keeping to in good repair, refilling it, jobs needed to use the machine, service charges (electricity, water maybe if the ink is packaged in a powder form at first).

Seems like a stupid idea to have it on there...

EDIT: @ Lukie: I did start writing first, but that does seem like a good answer...

Generally, if it's wet at ALL, most of the indicator changes color/fades over time.
    Also, how much of it can you see? Do you check in the mirror to see if the backside shows wetness?

Uhhh, Just 'Cause They Are Stupid (The Designers)? xD

Seriously, Who The Hell Would Have A Wetness Indicator On An Extened Wear Diaper? It's Pointles... Isn't It?

Quote Originally Posted by WoXxY View Post
    If you have a diaper that's meant for 8-12 hours of wear and intended to absorb multiple voids, just what is the purpose of a wetness indicator? If you have a need for such a diaper, you likely aren't going to be dry by then, and you won't be changing it after one wetting either..

I would think cost could be reduced by removing the ink and machine used for applying it too.

Thoughts? Comments? I don't see the purpose of it!
    Well the purpose is to let the wearer know when the brief requires changing this is especially true for an individual with heavy urinary incontinence to let him/her or the caregiver know when the brief is at maximum capacity which is when the indicator is no longer visible, this is especially useful for preventing leaks or bursts. In 2005, a similar device was once used in the Huggies training pants which came before the "Feel and learn" which involved the indicator being a "learning design" that faded when wet but the purpose was completely different as its intention was to help kids learn to stay dry but the design is made from the same kind of pigment that the wetness indicators is made from . does that answer your question?

Not actually. As I mentioned, the indicator becomes useless far before the brief is near maximum capacity.

By the way, the second part of your post is irrelevent to the topic. This isn't about wetness indicators in general, only applied to extended wear.

Because they want you to ask yourself that question.

I love that answer >3

To let the wearer know he/she is wet. I kind of like them but does it really matter anyway?