Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balloon Incident with boy in Colorado: Real or fraud?

Default Balloon Incident with boy in Colorado: Real or fraud?

Balloon boy incident raises more questions, officials say

This is a story about an incident in which a Colorado boy was working on a weather balloon and the balloon flew away with alledgedly the boy in the balloon. After frantic searches by the parents and the police, the boy was found hiding in his basement.
    When I heard the news about this at first I felt like it was a miracle but now I am more leaning towards this being fraud by the parents behalf. What do you think about this story?

My money is on "it's a hoax". What caught my attention in particular, is that on Wolf Blitzer's show, they asked the kid if he heard his name being called. He indicated that he had, so they asked him why he hadn't come out. He kind of mumbled something and then said something like "you said we did it for the show". Wolf asked the father to explain his son's answer, and he proceeded to say something completely different. Later in the show, Wolf returned to that and asked more directly, at which point the father became indignant and refused to answer.

Plus, my understanding is that the kid was in the attic above his garage, which was onloy accessible via a ladder. How did the kid get up there? If he went up alone, you'd think the ladder would still be there.

Plus, to be honest, the whole family sounds cuckoo.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    My money is on "it's a hoax". What caught my attention in particular, is that on Wolf Blitzer's show, they asked the kid if he heard his name being called. He indicated that he had, so they asked him why he hadn't come out. He kind of mumbled something and then said something like "you said we did it for the show". Wolf asked the father to explain his son's answer, and he proceeded to say something completely different. Later in the show, Wolf returned to that and asked more directly, at which point the father became indignant and refused to answer.

Plus, my understanding is that the kid was in the attic above his garage, which was onloy accessible via a ladder. How did the kid get up there? If he went up alone, you'd think the ladder would still be there.

Plus, to be honest, the whole family sounds cuckoo.
    I agree with you chevre.

My response is: who cares. First, everyone was all "I hope he's okay" and "Where were his parents?". Then the balloon crashed, and there was either no boy, or no boy and no basket (I've read both), and more were like "I hope he's okay" and "Oh no, he fell!", especially when a Sheriff or some bystander said they saw something fell. Then they found the basket, but no boy, and people started getting confused. They soon found him in his attic. After that many people jumped the fence and started accusing the whole thing as a hoax. As I see it, people only worry when someone may be in danger (if that even). Either way though, I don't even see why it was that big of a deal. Sure, if he actually was in there, that would be sad, but he wasn't. Sure, he said a comment about his parents saying it was for a show, but they've been on television before, and he could have easily confused the camera attentions for another show. He's 6 for Christ sakes. It's not even worth looking into. He's safe, the 'damage' is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    My response is: who cares. First, everyone was all "I hope he's okay" and "Where were his parents?". Then the balloon crashed, and there was either no boy, or no boy and no basket (I've read both), and more were like "I hope he's okay" and "Oh no, he fell!", especially when a Sheriff or some bystander said they saw something fell. Then they found the basket, but no boy, and people started getting confused. They soon found him in his attic. After that many people jumped the fence and started accusing the whole thing as a hoax. As I see it, people only worry when someone may be in danger (if that even). Either way though, I don't even see why it was that big of a deal. Sure, if he actually was in there, that would be sad, but he wasn't. Sure, he said a comment about his parents saying it was for a show, but they've been on television before, and he could have easily confused the camera attentions for another show. He's 6 for Christ sakes. It's not even worth looking into. He's safe, the 'damage' is done.
    Well, people should care because of the large amount of resources that were invested in the rescue effort. Emergency responders and volunteers poured out to help, potentially making them unavailable for real emergencies. It was also an air hazard, and could have interfered with air traffic as it went near an airport. That kind of thing won't go over well with the FAA. If it's an accident, then I think it can be forgiven easily enough. However, if it's a hoax, that's pretty unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by BluTack View Post
    The kid will be grounded now.
    You never know, he might sue them in court for that