Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making an adult sized baby diaper

Default Making an adult sized baby diaper

I was just wondering if anyone had considered making an adult sized baby diaper.
    I had the thought to take a Pampers or Huggies diaper and run a series of
    measurements; length, width, curve angle, thickness with a micrometer and
    then increases the size to a fit. It seems as simple as basic mathematics.
    Multiply the measurements by 410% and use a protractor to get the angles,
    being sure to leave enough space to sew in elastic.

The only downside is that it would have to be a cloth diaper with Velcro
    tabs, but you would, perhaps for the only time in your life, be able to see what
    an XXXXL Pamper would look and feel like on you, at least as far as cut, size
    and thickness are concerned.

I dunno about anyone else but if you managed to recreate a cloth diaper that is identacle to a Pampers i'd shell out some good money for it. You get this thing off the ground ill be your best customer!

I believe it would be a long project and I doubt I would want to make more than one or two
    for all of the effort it would take. I'm not even sure I want to think about how many man
    hours it would take once the measurements were in place!

If I do happen to make one, I'll be sure to stick it on ebay and see how much it goes for though.
    If the bids get to be worth my while I am sure I could take the time to make more. It would
    make for interesting conversation for sure. Why yes I paid for Seminary by making replica
    adult sized pampers."
    Last edited by Peachy; 14-Oct-2009 at 17:32. Reason: merging double post - put all thoughts into ONE post!

angelabauer

Please understand that a whole lot of established companies do make adult-size cloth diapers called "Contour" Only in concept are those Pampers enlarged. The shape of each size adult contour has to be worked out individually.

The big problem is that the body shapes of adults vary so much. Generic contour cloth diapers have not sold very well over the past 20 years.

Which diaper fabric do you propose using? Nearly all the commercial contour adult diapers are made from cotton flannel. The advantage is flannel is easy to buy in small quantities from local fabric shops, but it is far from being an ideal adult diaper material.

To create a cloth diaper that will last, all the outer edges need to be finished or the fabric will unravel. Commercially manufactured cloth diapers finish the edges with a multi-needle over-lock machine. There are smaller machines called sergers sold for home sewing. Those require some professional instruction and experience. Please consider this when making your business plan. Cloth diapers can be very effective, but this is a small part of the ABDL industry. Only a tiny percentage of incontinent people go to the trouble of washing cloth diapers.

I would think that just making it 410% bigger in all directions would not work. I would think maybe 300% length wise and 350% width wise would be better (thinking of a pampers size 6 baby dry diaper here)

It was already stated in this thread that ABuniverse has such a product. It was also decided that it was very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by babyboy View Post
    I would think that just making it 410% bigger in all directions would not work. I would think maybe 300% length wise and 350% width wise would be better (thinking of a pampers size 6 baby dry diaper here)
    That was the point. To see how a scale model would fit on an adult. I didn't know if it was feasible, which is why I posted for the collective wisdom here.

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen View Post
    That was the point. To see how a scale model would fit on an adult. I didn't know if it was feasible, which is why I posted for the collective wisdom here.
    the scale model doesn't work - due to the weights and stiffness of the materials involved. for an accurate replication, you would need to source alternative materials to the originals. like, you can't just double the thickness of the pad as it would be relatively too heavy, both for the body and for the plastic and elastics of the diaper to hang properly.
    most AB clothing manufacturers make this mistake.
    of course, if you actually took into account the weights and stiffness in a scale model, it would then work. but you'd be balancing form and function and may have to sacrifice some function to get the right look and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    if you actually took into account the weights and stiffness in a scale model, it would then work.
    but you'd be balancing form and function and may have to sacrifice some function to get the
    right look and feel.
    In this case it would be a form over function endeavor as the entire point would be to recapture
    a sense of nostalgia many long for in this community.