Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Computer Dead?

Default Is My Computer Dead?

So I have an old laptop that I'm trying to sell on eBay or Craigslist. It's an HP Pavilion ze4300. I tried to wipe it clean and restore it today, but I've been having some trouble. It is a 4 disc process, and today while installing the 3rd disc, the computer turned off. I turned it on and started again with the 1st disc, and this time it turned itself off during the installation of the 2nd disc.

I'm not to sure what to do. If I turn it on with no discs, it just pops up with a black screen and tells me there is no operation system. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? The standby light is still on, so I know its still getting power from the AC adapter. Thanks

Perhaps the CPU could be overheating -- once the temperatures reach a certain point the system will turn itself off to prevent damage or a fire.

try install ubuntu, it takes like 20 mins and will install before shutting down.
    when i had this problem i took out the cpu cooler cleaned it and it ran fine

Make sure air is getting under it cause lack of air will make one heat up badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    What operating system are you trying to install?
    I'm trying to install Windows XP. I'm using the the 4-disc "recovery disc" pack that was made specifically for that pc.

There is a good chance its overheating. The overheating is most likely due to dust/crap in the air intake for the cooling fan. Hit it with an air duster real good and see if the problem persists.

Quote Originally Posted by goodnitesgirl View Post
    There is a good chance its overheating. The overheating is most likely due to dust/crap in the air intake for the cooling fan. Hit it with an air duster real good and see if the problem persists.
    ^^ What she said ^^

I've seen many laptops fail (run slow, power off, overheat) because of hair and dust in the heatsink fins. You can also try sitting it on a hard flat surface (no beds :P) if you aren't already doing so.

^I'm doing it on a table, (no bed andy), so I'll have to try and get some air duster and see what happens.