Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a new AB/DL website

Default Building a new AB/DL website

For as long as I can recall, I've never been completely satisfied with AB/DL websites out there (all due respect to ADISC.org, of course). I've always wanted to build my "own" AB/DL website, something better than the pile of garbage that is DiaperSpace, etc., but it's always been mired in the logistical complexity of building a site like that without, essentially, ever having anyone outside of this community find out that I was behind it.

Anyways, I've been wondering if anyone else has given thought to something like this before. I've had an idea lately for a diaper-themed "microblogging" site, akin to Twitter, etc. One of the major problems I've noticed with diaper sites like DiaperSpace is that they become so complex and try to cater to so many user needs while paying absolutely no attention to usability that they become cluttered, unusable, etc. Anyone have any thoughts?

You should do a social-networking site, like diaperspace.com, but less lame.

Mesmerale

Twitter = Lame.
    The Majority of Diaper Sites = Lame

Twitter + Diaper Sites = ?

The math isn't that hard. You get 2Lame, or Double Lame.

~~~

On that note, no, I haven't thought about doing something like this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    Twitter = Lame.
    The Majority of Diaper Sites = Lame

Twitter + Diaper Sites = ?

The math isn't that hard. You get 2Lame, or Double Lame.
    Steal this idea and run with it. Call it "2Lame" too.

Quote Originally Posted by element View Post
    For as long as I can recall, I've never been completely satisfied with AB/DL websites out there (all due respect to ADISC.org, of course). I've always wanted to build my "own" AB/DL website, something better than the pile of garbage that is DiaperSpace, etc., but it's always been mired in the logistical complexity of building a site like that without, essentially, ever having anyone outside of this community find out that I was behind it.

Anyways, I've been wondering if anyone else has given thought to something like this before. I've had an idea lately for a diaper-themed "microblogging" site, akin to Twitter, etc. One of the major problems I've noticed with diaper sites like DiaperSpace is that they become so complex and try to cater to so many user needs while paying absolutely no attention to usability that they become cluttered, unusable, etc. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Well yes, I spend a lot of time thinking about this. It's not that any given website is flawed on its own merits, but that I don't think any given website can be all things to all people, especially past a certain size. I not only prefer the idea of a number of mutually supportive websites - each with a different focus - but I think this is inevitable down the road. I have discussed this publicly, and at some length.

ADISC is as near to ideal (for my tastes) as I could hope for; and there are many reasons it is flexible without being too vague and amorphous, it is robust, and it continues to fulfill its intended mission.

The practical difficulties of setting up a self-sustaining site are tremendous: whether as a non-profit, not-for-profit, or for-profit. There are technical, legal, financial, human-resource, and other types of challenges to face.

Here are a couple of threads where I aired some of my thoughts, since you ask:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/administr...-moo-wall.html

http://www.adisc.org/forum/administr...-proposal.html

You might also go through this Peach-thread, I am sure you would find it interesting for all sorts of reasons:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/regulars-...disc-site.html

I'll also point out one site that was set up as an alternative to ADISC, by some very sincere and reasonably bright people; you might check it out, and judge for yourself the chances of setting up an independent website.

ABDL Most Wanted - Index

I am curious as to exactly you would want your site to look like, what it would achieve, what rewards it would offer you, that you can't find elsewhere. Have you fully explored all the sites in whichever languages you speak, and verified there really aren't any sites where you would have your needs, interests, and desires fulfilled?

Would it perhaps be a more fruitful approach to see if a non-English site was out there somewhere that more closely matched your vision of an ideal site and just learn a new language?

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    [. . .]I'll also point out one site that was set up as an alternative to ADISC, by some very sincere and reasonably bright people; you might check it out, and judge for yourself the chances of setting up an independent website.

ABDL Most Wanted - Index

[. . .]
    ABDL Most Wanted wasn't set up as an alternative to ADISC. It was set up simply to be another ABDL site, more geared toward what the creators wanted to have in a site.

Yes most ABDL pages are completely flawed and owe their userbase solely to the fact that there aren't many places to go with that topic.

Thats the reason I'm here, too, I couldn't find another place with reasonable administration and good software. And thats why I dont really need another diaper page. Still, if its done very good it might catch my attention.

Didn't we have someone that wanted to do this and was banned for talking about it on here?

Quote Originally Posted by element View Post
    but it's always been mired in the logistical complexity of building a site like that without, essentially, ever having anyone outside of this community find out that I was behind it.
    1. Make sure your domain registrar has some sort of whois privacy settings. Most do nowadays.
    2. If you own a dedicated server already, don't host it there with your other sites. Anyone suspicous can easily tell it's the same server and therefore the same owner (the same does not apply for shared hosting, where there may be 40 sites on the one server).

Other than that, I don't have much advice. I do have one site attached to my name, and then my personal blog/programming stuff is seperate again. But that's only because I don't want my classmates reading my blog because I'm uber-paranoid. If your site has diaper stuff on it, you may need more privacy. (Mine is just to deter my classmates from finding it randomly, so it's far from perfect).

Here in Quebec we are saying that: "twitter c'est pour les twits", twitter are for the twits

From wikipedia

NOUN

Singular
    twit

Plural
    twits

twit (plural twits)

1. A reproach, gibe or taunt.
    2. A foolish or annoying person. (In the UK and UK English-speaking areas, usually used in a humorous or affectionate manner.)