Thread: Going to my First College Tour/Openhouse

curiousitykitten

Default Going to my First College Tour/Openhouse

The title says it all! I'm so excited. In just a half an hour I am leaving for Boston. I'm going to see Mass School of Art and Design. They came to my schol last week to talk to my graphic design shop. Something just clicked. I think I'm going there. (providing I don't get the MCAS scholarship. The MCAS 4 yearscholarship doesn't cover MA school of art and design even though its considered a "public school"...meanines. But eh scholarships are good either way)

so anyway wish me luck!
    Has anyone else been touring colleges lately on here?

I toured Illinois State University and loved it. It was the only school I applied for and got in. Saw that the tuition was 20,000 a semester. Now I'm at community college.

Money can be a huge factor, so watch out for that. I'm working hard to get a scholarship now so I can finish college at ISU. The Scholarship will pay for the last two years of your college (80,000 for me!!!) as long as you work at a school that's hard to staff for two years.

The college was beautiful. They had every tree native to Illinois planted around campus with tags so you can tell what they are. Their castle like buildings had vines covering the entirety of the walls, which I thought was so cool. I heard people complain about the dorm size, but they were huge compared to the living space I got while working at summer camp. Even though I can't go there now, I'm really looking forward to being able to go there in 2 years.

curiousitykitten

i was extremely impressed with the art school. People couldn't have been nicer. I just feel like its where I want to go. I think my mom doesn't want me to go though. She keeps repeating that its a 50% acceptence rate and i might not get in. I think shes saying it to herself honestly. I dont want to sound overly confident but I have gotten straight As for the past two years and have worked my ass off at filling a portfolio. On this matter I won't listen to my mom because I'm not going to be an engeneer and spend 8 years doing something I hate...even if it does make more. However, I'll steer away from fine arts and remain in the design umbrella.

ISU is has lower acceptance rate and I got in without straight A's or the portfolio. Your golden. Don't let your mom tell you what to be because you'll get frustrated and change majors, and that just waists everybody's money.

Asher

That's awesome, curiousitykitten MSAD is a great design school in definitely one of the coolest cities in the United States. Like Link said, don't listen to your mom on this one; follow your dream and be happy at what you do.

College searches have been a real blast so far. Going to be visiting Tulane, UMich - Ann Arbor, and Johns Hopkins near Thanksgiving, so can't wait for that

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    That's awesome, curiousitykitten MSAD is a great design school in definitely one of the coolest cities in the United States. Like Link said, don't listen to your mom on this one; follow your dream and be happy at what you do.

College searches have been a real blast so far. Going to be visiting Tulane, UMich - Ann Arbor, and Johns Hopkins near Thanksgiving, so can't wait for that
    Good luck asher! are you in the class of 2010 or 2011

im in 2011

angelabauer

Back in the Middle Ages when I was still in high school, the only universities I could tour were in California. One of the women attorneys mentoring me had attended pre-law at an Upstate New York university. She also was a Southern California gal so warned me it would get bitter cold in winter. I had to take her word and that was my first choice. Lucky for me I was accepted. At least when considering law schools my first choice was only a few hundred miles away, with a change of trains in NYC. I did visit it a few times before being accepted there.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Back in the Middle Ages when I was still in high school, the only universities I could tour were in California. One of the women attorneys mentoring me had attended pre-law at an Upstate New York university. She also was a Southern California gal so warned me it would get bitter cold in winter. I had to take her word and that was my first choice. Lucky for me I was accepted. At least when considering law schools my first choice was only a few hundred miles away, with a change of trains in NYC. I did visit it a few times before being accepted there.
    Well Mass School of Art and Design is only an hour drive away. However, theres no way in hell I'll commute in Boston traffic alone my freshman year. Its simply too dangerous and I wont even be used to driving (im putting off getting my licence...i just dont feel ready). I also don't have a good directional sence.

Other schools I was considering are in the state and no more than an hour a day. My dream location would be Boston or Cambridge MA because I just love cities. They may be expencive to live at, but the stress taken away from walking everywhere opposed to driving will be worth it. I'm glad I don't need to take a long train ride anywhere (i would if it were avalable...but by the time I reach a T station im 1/2 way to Boston so whats the point...?)