Thread: I did something I am proud to do every year

Default I did something I am proud to do every year

For the second time in two years, I did the Walk Now for Autism downtown Cleveland, Ohio this morning with one of my best friends from work and in my life. She and I went up to downtown Cleveland and did the walk.

Autism Speaks every year does a series of walks and for the past two years I have been a part of a team, but this year I lost contact with the team as they disappeared off the radar- or should I say internet. So, I did it by myself this year with my friend.

One thing that has constantly amazed me is the sheer size of the crowd of the Walk Now for Autism. The walk can have a HUGE line from the start all the way maybe over one block of downtown Cleveland just past the East 3rd Street bridge, and Cleveland Browns Stadium.

I was proud to do this walk, as someone who has Asperger's Syndrome, and someone who wishes they would have known more back in the 1980s when I was growing up than what they did. To me, I am impressed by all the resources that they have for autism now.

It makes one wonder what life would be like if I had known sooner. It makes one feel proud to be a part of something big and special and I plan on next year doing my own team due to the whole snafu with losing contact with my team.

Every year, I am proud to do this walk and I have my reasons for it, and I know some people will probably flame this thing but so what? I don't care, I'm proud to do the walk every year.

WildThing121675

*high fives* Good for you, WildThing! I'm planning on going to the one in Orlando next month. It's a really good thing to do, in my humble opinion.

It is always good to support a cause that you are close to.

In my professional side: We do the entertainment for a county Relay for Life (american Cancer Society) - Yes it is a paid gig, but deeply discounted, seeing as we are on site for well over 24 hours and working straight thru the event.

On a personal side: We sponsor a team for the Relay. We have to be out there all night, we might as well have a team. We are selling Breast Cancer (and other cancer) Awareness buttons, and "I walk in memory buttons" as our pre-relay fundraiser, and then will be doing cold candy bars at the event.

I lost an aunt, great aunt, and step mom to cancer. I personally was with my aunt in her final days, and many days before that seeing that horrible disease take somebody.

I always tell my staff and friends to make time for the causes that you feel close to. My one DJ is a paramedic, and she is always involved in events for the fire dept, we provide free or discounted services often to their fund raisers, fire engine parade (that was fun for me to do), etc....

This autism stuff scares me, cause it went frome being like 1 in 1000 kids, to 1 in 500, now 1 in 100 kids...... It MUST be something that is happening or is intruduced into the body and brain at an early age.... I don't think these parents being paranoid about the vaccines are that wrong, something tells me that finally after years of doubt and denial that we will find out that the vaccines are causing this or making things worse.

Eek...don't get me started on Autism Speaks. But don't get me wrong, I'm all for autism awareness and such.

Good for you!
    As someone with an autistic sibling, I know how many people out there are unaware of what it is, or worse, have completely the wrong idea. So I praise anything that raises awareness of, or raises funds for those with autism.

On top of that I think giving up some of your time to support a good cause out of charity, is something that everyone should do at least once in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    This autism stuff scares me, cause it went frome being like 1 in 1000 kids, to 1 in 500, now 1 in 100 kids...... It MUST be something that is happening or is intruduced into the body and brain at an early age.... I don't think these parents being paranoid about the vaccines are that wrong, something tells me that finally after years of doubt and denial that we will find out that the vaccines are causing this or making things worse.
    I don't want to derail this thread, but it's something I have to address. I do not think the number of people who actually have autism is going up by that much. The fact is, that like every condition in the medical books, knowledge is becoming more widespread and more people are being diagnosed, while not necessarily meaning that it's on the increase.
    As for the vaccines theory, that almost amounted to scaremongering, the guy who proposed the link never had any concrete evidence, and kept changing his hypothesis to fit what he was seeing. Because of this, we now have cities where there are measles outbreaks because the kids aren't vaccinated.

Sorry for the slight rant but I felt I had to say something, as I said earlier I don't wish to distract this thread from it's charitable purpose, so if you wish to continue this discussion, could you PM me or make a new thread.

I also contribute to Relay for Life with my boss at work and a friend of mine who is a cop. I also believe that I am doing something worthwhile with my time and I know some people have issues with Autism Speaks, as that was the reason I was expecting to get flamed for this.

My view is that I believe it is for a good cause, and I want people to be more aware of autism and stuff. When I was a kid, they were not aware of Asperger's Syndrome. So to me, I want people to be more aware of things that is why I support Autism Speaks. There were a few protesters but not many.

WildThing121675

I thought it was going to a Ohio State game. But it is honorable to do this walk each year for the cause. As an aspie myself I believe that this just shows an admiration for the cause and showing that you embrace yourself as a person with Aspergers and committing to help others with Aspergers. Representin but I think I will do the one in my area but I do need community service hours for my school though.

When I was younger (so much younger than today...) we had Miles for Millions Walkathon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and there was massive, city-wide participation. Other sponsored walks never got that kind of participation. A pity. These days I still donate to charity, but on a more personal level, to local causes or persons I feel for. The ones who/which are deserving but get overlooked... ones I admire...

I do drop off food for the food bank whenever I shop: even if it is one can of tomato soup, or a ramen.