Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper preference, and speculations about the future

Default Diaper preference, and speculations about the future

Hello,
    A new analysis of data from the second AB/DL survey is now online:
    Diaper Preference among AB/DLs

The study found that AB/DLs tended to prefer the type of diaper that was most prevalent during their early childhood, on average. Since the dominant type of diaper doesn't change often, this is usually the same type as the AB/DL wore as a baby.

(To be honest, I was hoping that the data would support the argument that Bambino should come out with a line of classic, rectangular disposables - my preference in fantasy. However, the numbers don't support it. For example, most who were raised in rectangular disposables reported a preference for hourglass-shaped disposables. I was raised in cloth with plastic pants myself.)

Anyway, now that the research is done, I thought I'd invite some much less scientific speculation about the newer "cloth-like" disposables. Will...
    A) they be the diaper of choice for the next generation of AB/DLs
    B) their lack of diaper-likeness or their use after the period of infantile amnesia be the end of infantilism as we know it
    or
    C) something altogether different happen?

The data so far is consistent with "A," but this isn't yet certain and the others will make for more interesting discussions. What do you think?

I vote for A. I don't think the fact that them being cloth like covered is going to distract from the sensations of wetting, or being in a dirty diaper. Also, there will still be a strong link between parental love and diaper changing.

When we invent a diaper that never feels wet, changes itself, and lasts until potty training, we will see the end of infantilism. Maybe not even then

I think I may have just found it:
    Vacuum Diaper
    Last edited by Peachy; 07-Oct-2009 at 20:01. Reason: merging double post - put all thoughts into one post

I predict that cloth like diapers will be the new norms with an added infatuation toward pullups style diapers.

I still wonder why parents are putting their babies and toddlers in pullups when they are not even potty trainning yet. It's not like it's more practical for diaper changes.

At the end of the day, I think people will use what's most available. If when you get into ABDL, there's no plastic backed diapers available, you won't even think twice.

With that said, it was cloth for me 100% as a baby, as far as I'm aware, a depend was the first disposable I ever wore.

Infantilism won't die. Worst case is it'll just change form from what it is now. And if the adult diaper industry changes to a different solution or diapers that are radically different, there will still be fetish suppliers who will procure diapers for ABDLs.. much like Bambino do now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbravo2 View Post
    I think I may have just found it:
    Vacuum Diaper
    I wonder it if is too late for us to get this dismissed as a myth, like the car engine that runs on salt water?

Quote Originally Posted by bob111 View Post
    I predict that cloth like diapers will be the new norms with an added infatuation toward pullups style diapers.

I still wonder why parents are putting their babies and toddlers in pullups when they are not even potty training yet. It's not like it's more practical for diaper changes.
    Perhaps it provides parents with the illusion that their children are more mature, and the hope that they will somehow train themselves?

There is also a mid-range, called "convertibles." They pull up initially, but can be opened at the sides. Changing standing up is sometimes more convenient (at least when changing one's self), but just is not the same as being changed laying down. These convertibles weren't covered in question #59, but pull ups were.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    Thanks for your work, BitterGrey. I enjoyed reading the results.
    You are most welcome.
    Last edited by BitterGrey; 07-Oct-2009 at 13:37. Reason: Punctuation:

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    Hello,
    A new analysis of data from the second AB/DL survey is now online:
    Diaper Preference among AB/DLs

The study found that AB/DLs tended to prefer the type of diaper that was most prevalent during their early childhood, on average. Since the dominant type of diaper doesn't change often, this is usually the same type as the AB/DL wore as a baby.
    ... I was raised in cloth with plastic pants myself.
    I was also raised with cloth diapers and plastic pants. The diapers were made of a cloth called birds-eye, I think. The plastic pants were sleek and smooth to the touch, and they were very " crackly-sounding " and noisy.

@Bittergrey - I don't know about that being a myth this website looks credible, and that they are a resource for the industry, although I admit I haven't checked their credentials
    Richer Consulting services has the vacuum diaper listed at the end of the timeline, and they have applied for a patent.

+1 Thank you for your work, and especially your website. It helped me grow in my self acceptance growing up (which I'm still doing )

@Bittergrey - I don't know about that being a myth this website looks credible
    Certainly. Disposablediaper.net is a great resource. I referred to it frequently when working on the study. (See citation #2) Mr. Richer is also AB/DL aware and somewhat professionally positive in his views toward us.

Who knows, he might even have a few points on the topic of 'why big babies leak' that I've missed.

To be clear, I was jokingly wondering if we could get the vacuum diaper dismissed as a myth, so that it wouldn't replace conventional diapers. I didn't mean to imply that it was a myth. There will be some practical hurdles (such as bacterial growth) but these might be overcome.

Thank you for your work, and especially your website. It helped me grow in my self acceptance growing up (which I'm still doing
    Glad I could help.
    Last edited by BitterGrey; 09-Oct-2009 at 03:39. Reason: clarifying

I too was raised on cloth and plastic pants, hence that's what I'm now attracted to. There also is a movement of new mothers to "greener" cloth diapers, so there may be a modest return to that. It's still a messy alternative, though.

There will always be diapers of some sort, and my suspicion is that those who regress would tend to find that which they wore as a baby, or that which gives them the most comfort. Thanks for your work Bittergrey.