Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Hats?

Default Top Hats?

Does anyone here actually wear one, like to a formal social event? Not like a Abe Lincoln Stove Pipe one, but one like Teddy Roosevelt or Andrew Carnagie? I so desperately want to buy like an 1890's beaver fur top hat and wear it to a dance or a formal party.

so, does anyone here own one and actually wear it?

I wear fedoras. A green one for every day use and a nice black one I wear on special occasions. call me old fashioned.

I know what you're saying but no. I've seen them for sale however. I think I would rather wear a Blues Brothers style hat. I already have the Ray Bans. It also would be cool to have a hat like Humphrey Bogart wore in Casablanca, etc. Yeah sweetheart. We'll always have Paris.

I don't wear top hats, but I do have a flat cap that I wear occasionally.

I've seen boys wear top hats to formal dances like homecoming and prom. But the rest of the outfit has to be just as snazzy as the hat. This means nice shoes, a nice tie (like one with a simple pattern or one-color. NOT that Looney Tunes tie in the back of your closet), a dress shirt that matches, and a suit that matches to top it off.

The top hat can be a nice touch, but it can look really stupid if you don't do it right. :/

Haha right, maybe get the cane with the brass top to go with it and grow out a handle bar mustache look just like JP Morgan.

What Ollie said. You can't wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a top hat. That would just look speshul. Now, I wear a newsboy cap all the time, but only when it looks appropriate. Which means that I'm usually wearing jeans and a dress shirt, or my biker jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post
    What Ollie said. You can't wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a top hat. That would just look speshul. Now, I wear a newsboy cap all the time, but only when it looks appropriate. Which means that I'm usually wearing jeans and a dress shirt, or my biker jacket.
    I would prefer it if someone wore a top hat with an "inappropriate" outfit. The contrast between the two would be interesting. Then again, interesting may not be what you're going for...

I think top hats can and should be worn casually.

Lemme correct that. I wear triliby hats, which look a lot like fedoras but have a shorter brim. There doesn't appear to be much of a difference at first, but it's all the difference between Michael Jackson and Indiana Jones.

I have two cheap top hats, a white one and a black one, that I occasionally wear to formal social gatherings during the winter, usually complimenting a black suit with white tie and handkerchief.