Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, I've been to Mars.

EmeraldsAndLime

Default Yeah, I've been to Mars.

Actually, HUGE dust storm going on right now. Years of drought are finally catching up, eh?

Attachment 519
    Last edited by EmeraldsAndLime; 30-Nov-2009 at 15:51.

That sucks. Here in the South they've had a foot and a half of rain, flooding out many homes. In fact 6 people have died including a 3 year old toddler. The rain has barely gotten to us, and we could us some. It seems like it's feast or famine.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    That sucks. Here in the South they've had a foot and a half of rain, flooding out many homes. In fact 6 people have died including a 3 year old toddler. The rain has barely gotten to us, and we could us some. It seems like it's feast or famine.
    -,- The weather here has been the same for the past 2 weeks, rain everyday, flash flood warning everyday. It's supposed to be like that until saturday.

The thread title made me think of Bill Clinton in a Family Guy episode "Wanna go to Mars duuude?"

Yeah, the rain is getting old. Its been pouring every day for weeks, and the humidity is making everything in my house curl. It was fun to get to race in the rain, as our annual governors cup auto-cross was held on Saturday. Sometimes bringing a rally car to a pavement party can be fun >

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, "apocalyptic" is a term that was liberally thrown around today. Many people down south woke up to a hellish red/orange haze just absolutely blanketing the city. The dust cloud itself stretched about about 1500km/930miles up the Eastern coast of Australia.

To give you an idea, visibility in my city is usually 20+km on a fine day, and certainly over 60+km if you get high enough. Today you could barely make anything out beyond a few hundred metres. I live only 7km out from the main city area, on top of a hill, and I couldn't see the city at all.

The one good thing about it is that photographers have been out all day making the most of this rare photo opportunity. Some great shots of the city have come from this (although the one's I just linked to are Sydney).

Here's some photos I managed to grab. Note that none of these have had any colour enhancements done to them.

So is it...... "finger licking good" there too!?

Strange. The pictures you, Lukie, took were a lot less orange. Are you on the outskirts of the storm, were they taken before it got bad, or are the other pictures toned?

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    Strange. The pictures you, Lukie, took were a lot less orange. Are you on the outskirts of the storm, were they taken before it got bad, or are the other pictures toned?
    Probably a combination of both.

I don't actually live in Sydney (far from it actually, about 1000km north in Brisbane) which, like the country towns inland, suffered the full force of it. The dust cloud itself stretched about 1500km up the coastline and whilst Sydney woke up to a red/orange blaze, Brisbane didn't get anything until about 11am.

Nevertheless, I'm not a professional photographer and only own a point&shoot camera. The images I linked to look a lot more professional and touched-up. My guess is that they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    So is it...... "finger licking good" there too!?
    I actually had some today. Better than in the USA methinks.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Oo, that's a nice shot!

Walking around, I found it incredibly weird. I don't know how many of you here have been caught up in one, but wandering about the city while everything has a permanent orange-tinge to it is... something you should experience once in your life. There's no way to describe it other than being completely in another world.

Despite not getting the full force of the storm, the dust was still pretty thick. As I went up to the top of the hill I live on, it was like facing a giant wall of monochromaticism. All the cars had this unusual orange-metallic shimmer to them. The sun itself was rather obscured such that it looked like a bright white disc in the sky, as if the corona had completely enveloped it. I imagine this is as close as you can get to experiencing being surrounded by fire.