2 20.00%
  • Not at all

2 20.00%
  • Didn't watch it

5 50.00%

Thread: Derren Brown - controlling the nation- for UK viewers

Default Derren Brown - controlling the nation- for UK viewers

Hi everyone, just wondering:

tonight Derren Brown played a PWA video clip which was supposed to make people get stuck to their chairs, please could people tell me if they got stuck or not?

I for 1 didn't and nor did most of my friends, but 1 claims to have been stuck. I do understand hypnosis and suggestion etc but this 1 is a tricky one =]

Quote Originally Posted by wannabesissybaby92 View Post
    Hi everyone, just wondering:

tonight Derren Brown played a PWA video clip which was supposed to make people get stuck to their chairs, please could people tell me if they got stuck or not?

I for 1 didn't and nor did most of my friends, but 1 claims to have been stuck. I do understand hypnosis and suggestion etc but this 1 is a tricky one =]
    ...wut. Yes they get stuck. It's one of the simplest suggestions around.

Edit: didn't understand the question. It's a pretty simple suggestion that will definitely work if done hands on if all the givens are there (suggestibility, true belief, etc.).

Yes!

But only on my second viewing. My tip would be to sit very close to the TV screen, following the instruction on how to sit.

Obviously it is you who is stopping yourself from getting up, so if you fight it or resist it, it won't work.

What happened with me is that I felt incredibly heavy, and my arms were unable to lift my body of my seat. I wasn't completely stuck though, I could just about remove my body of the seat if I really forced it, but I'd quickly come crashing down.

It was certainly a lot of fun!

This is it for you non-UK people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQFKIK4Tf8
    Don't expect it to work though, earlier in the programme he warns that it won't work on the internet due to resolution problems, but you never know.

I didn't get stuck at all. I watched it on the TV and twice on the internet, all 3 times getting absolutely nothing.

One quote from the show:

Derren Brown: those of you with the best talent for to responding to the film.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't consider the film working on you really well to be a talent. If anything it means you are more open to suggestion and can be easily manipulated.

I seem to be half open to suggestion. In some of his demonstrations I consciously realise what he is trying to suggest. This would be great if I were on the show, if it still worked I could really muck up his tricks.
    For example: (hidden due to spoilers if you hadn't seen the show yet)

This is perhaps more confusing though. They call it Perception Without Awareness, which strictly speaking it isn't if I realise it, but then I still have no idea why I perceived that.

Oh well, it's designed to confuse you I suppose. The end point is that it didn't work on me.

If anyone wants to watch the whole episode you can see it here, although I don't know if that link will work if you're outside of the UK.

Valence

I got stuck. And ignored the 'Don't Panic' messages.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't consider the film working on you really well to be a talent. If anything it means you are more open to suggestion and can be easily manipulated.
    Ah, now that's exactly what a person without the talent would say.

But seriously, a lot of what he says (including what you quoted) is purely toward to end of making the trick work. He admitted on his blog that he exaggerated how many people the trick was likely to work on, simply because anticipation is a large part of it.
    My guess is that calling it a talent, and basically making you sound a better person if it works on you (I think he said it works on creative people, etc.) is part of making it work.
    "I'm creative, I have talent, this will work on me."

I don't watch TV, but I did watch his show on how he predicted the lottery the week before. Which, I think most people are a little gullible to watch and believe he actually did it. That and I understood what he was doing with the 3 coin toss trick, Giving that he clearly didn't explain the rules. But I guessed from the glimpse on the whiteboard. That he was doomed to fail. But then again, I'll give Brown the credit when he does say the trick is to pick your combination after his. Which gave me a good inclination to guess what his rules were.

I have not watched yesterdays one. Might do it. See what things he has to ramble on to explain it. But for the talent comment. I don't see it as either something that can really put you at too much advantage or disadvantage over everyone else. It's like some people can bend their thumb all the way back easily. It's not a health condition that can impair them for life, nor is it really going to help you grip your dinner plate better. If at most you call them unique, but not entirely in an eccentric way. Just that small % of the population effected.