Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special education classes

Default Special education classes

(Should this go in the TB section?)

This thread is dedicated to Choirbrat- wherever he may be..

Ok, so as some of you may rememeber, Choirbrat started a thread about his special ed class on the old TBDL forums, as I always thought it was a good topic. I am restarting it, because I want to expand it beyond where it was, and make it better.

I was in those classes, form 1st grade through the beginning of seventh grade. My experiences in there are rather mixed. I got bullied a lot in my early years, strickly because I was in that class. It was viewed as the "retard" class, which was a horrible term for it. Very few in there(one?) was mentally challenged, and most were failry normal but had some type of social problem. Most of the time, it was alright, but sometimes being in there was stressful, or just horrible, because of outbursts, tantrums, etc.

With going into a lot of drama: How many of you were in those classes, and how do you think it contributed to the way you are now? (Personality/TB/DL/Furry.) Do you think it did you good to be in that class? How was your overall experience; good or bad?
    Last edited by Drosera; 21-Mar-2008 at 20:39.

I remember there was the 'special' classroom next to the normal grade 6 classroom. I was in it for some classes with about 5 kids (not advanced or slowed down, just different... like an education experiment or something), and there was a bunch of kids that were always in there - one would have tantrums a lot and flip out. I remember hanging around with him outside school and being appalled at how his parents treated him...I've always wondered what he did with himself and hope he's doing well. Another one of the kids I'm still friends with. He had anxiety problems in large groups, and also some learning problems I guess. There was also a girl, but I don't remember much about her as she was really quiet.

I don't remember anything bad going on, just a lot of unsupervised, wasted time. I think that's why my math was poor going into junior high school, because I wasn't in the 'normal' class to get a good handle on the basics :/ I ended up taking advanced calculus after high school, so I don't think it was me who was the problem :P

For one, there's absolutely no reason why someone should be bullied for being in the so-called "retard" class. That's not at all what it is. Although I've never been in a special needs classroom, I had plenty of friends who were, and I've also spent a bit of time tutoring and teaching in special needs classes, and some of the kids are honestly the most fascinating, lovable, and attentive students someone could ever want.

I've also spent a lot of time doing hands-on physical care of people with disabilities and special needs, and even though some people scoff at the idea of changing adults' diapers (yes, even here!), showering them, putting them onto the toilet, etcetera etcetera, it's actually quite a rewarding and engaging experience.

What I'm trying to say is this: I have a lot of respect for people who live in those kind of conditions and get educated in those kind of classrooms, whether the experience was good or bad for them, because it usually alwaos goes to turn them into a more well-rounded person. Special needs classes aren't just for "retarded" people -- they're for people who have special, if slight problems -- social, emotional, physical, or mental -- that might need just a little extra guidance to get past those difficulties. But once they get past them, they can soar and accomplish just as much as everybody else!

So you know what I say, to people who once went to school in classes like that? If it was a good experience, be proud of it, because you've clearly been able to use that education and get the most out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by andysetra
    I don't remember anything bad going on, just a lot of unsupervised, wasted time. I think that's why my math was poor going into junior high school, because I wasn't in the 'normal' class to get a good handle on the basics :/ I ended up taking advanced calculus after high school, so I don't think it was me who was the problem :P
    Same here, minus the advanced calculus part. I do blame that class for my lack of skill in Math. There just wasn't enough time to dedicate to each student, and so some were left behind in certain things. I had to work hard at it, but I learned everything I missed in Junior High. I am still medicre in Math though, it just isn't my favorite thing to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Rance
    Special needs classes aren't just for "retarded" people -- they're for people who have special, if slight problems -- social, emotional, physical, or mental -- that might need just a little extra guidance to get past those difficulties. But once they get past them, they can soar and accomplish just as much as everybody else!
    I know it isn't, and I didn't mean it like that either. That's just unfortunately, how others viewed us. I do agree with you on almost everything else though.

Oh, I didn't take it like that from you, Chromos. It was just my response to what might be a rather poor generalization, but I totally understood what you meant!

I've always felt sad for the people with Asperger's, they're quite often rather intelligent, but because they can't act, according to society, "normal" in social situations. The damn idiots, who will most likely end up flipping burgers, always pick on them.
    That's a bit of awkward sentence structure and ranting, but I've never been in a special needs class, although in junior high I took the short-bus as a personally shuttle to high school classes.

I wasn't what you could call "special" classes but I was in a small class setting for certen things from 5th-8th and have been in co-teach (two teachers in the class) from 5th to this day. Basicly things started to go down hill when I started in 3rd grade.

My 3rd grade teacher loaded us down with homework, we had 4 homework assiments everynight (yes even on Fridays.) and it took be about 2-3 hours to get my work done and the teacher didn't really care she just wanted it done.

So I really struggled in 4th grade and when I look back on it now my whole 4th grade year is a bler. so I was put in a small class setting with about 10 kids which reached about 16 by years end and I regained alot of ground and I was ready for middle school.
    When I got into 6th grade I was put in the same setting for Science, Reading, and English. By 7th I was only in a small class for reading and it was the same for 8th grade.

As for my expereance with kids who have had special needs I have found some cool people. I once had a friend who's older brother was in a speical needs class, he was interesting and very smart. The only weird thing about him was he thought that Star Terk was real. I was also a teachers assisstant in a special needs class when I was in 8th grade and those kids were really cool and alot of them looked up to me as a role mode.

I have never been in a special education class. thought a lot of people at my school in it get made fun of i see it as mean. Though many of them are not actually retarded and not like anyone can help that. I am a genius myself though. I never had any problems in school.

In my school the special education class has a lot of people that are to lazy to try to get the work or in there on purpose because they acted like they didn't get it. This is mainly because they have an xbox360 and wii in the special education class like being in there is a good thing because of that.

Kenshin Himura you know what the reading in 7th and 8th(always small classes btw) is not because your dumb but because your not ready for a forien language. At least that is how it is here.

[QUOTE=genbaby;26437]This is mainly because they have an xbox360 and wii in the special education class.{/QUOTE]

Lazy bastards alot of the kids in the special ed classes in my school are like that.

Kenshin Himura you know what the reading in 7th and 8th(always small classes btw) is not because your dumb but because your not ready for a forien language. At least that is how it is here.
    I was just a bad speller and I have a learning disability.
    Last edited by Takashi; 22-Mar-2008 at 01:48.

I was just a bed speller
    Was that on purpose?

Rance, I don't think I could do what you described, but it was interesting to read.

Below content may be offensive if you fail at life.

I hate, yes, hate, some of the people who are in those classes. Not the people with actual problems like severely mentally impaired. But just people with minor stuff such as in Pre Algebra in 9th grade. Most of them are extremely stupid, and they just have no idea about anything, anything in the real world, the same holds true for many girls, don't really know anything, hate bush because their parents do, and have no idea why they hate the things they do. Most of these people are douches, and they make fun of people, for being stupid, and call them fags for no reason etc. I don't exactly see how people in those classes can make fun of people for being stupid. You know the people I am talking about, I hate those people, does anyone feel the same as me?