Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth w/ Parents

skyspydude1

Question Cloth w/ Parents

I was wondering. I would love to wear cloth diapers, but sadly live with me parents. Is there any way I can still use cloth, and wash it discreetly? Getting them is not the problem

Mesmerale

Do you already wash your own clothes?

I do my own laundry, so there is no issue there. I just make sure to switch it on time so no one gets to it first.

If you don't do your own laundry, I'd suggest having a "cleaning day." Maybe make a big deal about it, clean your room, etc... Then bring your laundry into your laundry room, and sit there with a book while it finishes. You're parents will be happy, and you can wash it without them knowing exactly *what* you're washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    Do you already wash your own clothes?
    If not, then can you use a washing machine and dryer?

If the answer is no, than learning to do so might be a nice idea. If you have such equipment at home you may be able to use when you parents are not home. Otherwise a visit to a laundrymat might be the best option. Keep in mind however that a laundrymat is a public place, bring a closed container and dump it straight into the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by twtw View Post
    If not, then can you use a washing machine and dryer?

If the answer is no, than learning to do so might be a nice idea. If you have such equipment at home you may be able to use when you parents are not home. Otherwise a visit to a laundrymat might be the best option. Keep in mind however that a laundrymat is a public place, bring a closed container and dump it straight into the machine.
    lol... now for people who like rushes... well there would be a rush..

Could you imagine just folding your adult size coth diapers as you pull them out of the dryer all casuaully like it is an every day thing?

If you do youre own laundry you should be fine with washing it, of cource theres alwyas a risk of bad luck and mom will decide that day that she will put your things in the dryer for you,.. before your can get to them.

I own a cloth diaper and do like how it feels however i do live at home with my parents, and although i do wash all my own clothes i just dont have the time or drive to wash it right away or to guard the laundry room till its ready... and I hate the risk involved so I almost never use it and just stick with disposables.

It also might be impractical having a wet diaper days before laundry day. I first wash mine when I take my shower, along with the plastic pants. That gets rid of most of the problem. They still have to be hung to dry, and then laundered, however, and that would also be a problem for you. It just looks like it's going to be difficult until you get your own place.

Your only option would be only wearing the night before you do laundry so you can put them in with your other stuff. Hiding a diaper pail would be really hard and you probably don't wear often enough to make a full load before they get really smelly. Sticking to disposables till you move out is probably the best idea.

There are a couple of ways to get away with this:

1: If you can, wear or take your diapers/plastic pants in the shower to rinse them off and ring as much water out of them as you can. Towel dry the plastic pants.

2. If you can't wash right away roll the diaper up in your bath towel. This will help dry the diaper and keep it form going a "funk."

3. Stick with plain white flat diapers, (not pre-folds or All-in-Ones.) If another family member opens the washer/dryer and sees your whites they are not going to stick out. They will just look like towels or rags in the wash.

If you prefer the comfort and can live without the plastic, then that could actually work. A package of 24" x 27" Gerber flat folds can be found fairly easily at places like Target. What you do, is fold a couple layers into thirds and insert like you would with a pad and pant system.

Having access to the laundry facilities would be to your advantage, obviously. If your parents do your laundry for you, then you may want to explain to them your need to be educated on the proper techniques. I was 11 years old when I learned how to do my own laundry. It's an excellent skill to have that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

If your parents run across the diapers, chances are they may confuse it with either rags or finishing towels, as many times they are used for polishing and in some cases as dish rags. If you go about it the right way, they can be far more discrete than disposables, thus helping you keep your dignity! Also, please keep in mind that it is perfectly OK to exercise some independence in self care. I used to get nervous when buying my own detergent and personal articles, but that had long passed. Learning some independence is just a part of growing up.

If this thread keeps going, then perhaps I may offer some laundry hints. Until then, stay discrete!

Honeywell6180