Thread: Elastic Leg Gathers

Default Elastic Leg Gathers

I have been wearing diapers for a little while now and so far I have had no issues with diaper rash but my biggest complaint is the elastic leg gathers. For some reason that pesky elastic always seems to cut into my thighs and leaves very sore red and purple marks.

Am I the only one who experiences this or do others deal with this same problem? I know the diapers are the correct size (not too small) and I'm pretty sure I'm taping them correctly.

Does anyone else have ways to remedy the situation?

angelabauer

The leg gathers on adult disposable diapers are designed to keep runny poop from leaking. Urine is held in the diaper mostly by the SAP pulling it into the fluff core and the cling of the diaper covering sticking to your skin due to moisture.

My suggestion, assuming you do not mess your disposable, is to manually stretch-out the leg gathers before you put on a new diaper. In this way they will not cause as much irritation.

As part of a change, use a clean wipe or two on the marks from the leg bands. Then apply a small amount of a rash ointment, such as Desitin. Be sure to rub that in very well, until you no longer feel it on the surface. After wearing diapers in this way a few months your skin in that area will get tougher.

This principle applies to plastic pants as well. The correct size will feel loose. Tuck the waist of the panties into the diaper top, so some of the plastic clings. If the panties are large enough some of the excess plastic will also cling around your legs. The elastic needs only be slightly snug, just enough to start the clinging process.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    The leg gathers on adult disposable diapers are designed to keep runny poop from leaking. Urine is held in the diaper mostly by the SAP pulling it into the fluff core and the cling of the diaper covering sticking to your skin due to moisture.

My suggestion, assuming you do not mess your disposable, is to manually stretch-out the leg gathers before you put on a new diaper. In this way they will not cause as much irritation.

As part of a change, use a clean wipe or two on the marks from the leg bands. Then apply a small amount of a rash ointment, such as Desitin. Be sure to rub that in very well, until you no longer feel it on the surface. After wearing diapers in this way a few months your skin in that area will get tougher.

This principle applies to plastic pants as well. The correct size will feel loose. Tuck the waist of the panties into the diaper top, so some of the plastic clings. If the panties are large enough some of the excess plastic will also cling around your legs. The elastic needs only be slightly snug, just enough to start the clinging process.
    You are correct, I do not mess in my diapers so the leg gathers really don't serve any purpose. Thanks for the advice I will try stretching out the elastic and using the rash ointment and hopefully that will help.

During urination, the leg gathers do server a purpose; to keep the urine from getting to the outer seal. It pools up against the gathers and since they are attached on the padding part it contains it until the padding absorbs it. If they weren't there, when you wet, the urine would have to rely on the seal of just the backing against your skin. That's a quick way to get diaper rash and encourage leg leaks. It would sit there and not get absorbed because the padding isn't at that part. Last I checked, diapers didn't have padding all the way to their very edges.

Back to the issue at hand, I think you are putting it on too tightly. Leave the lower tapes a bit looser, possibly a bit higher up. It's the outside of the diaper that's digging into your skin, I'm certain.