Thread: Is it Illegal?

Default Is it Illegal?

To download military marches (for free) from nations that don't exist anymore? I am thinking of downloading the march Preussens Gloria. It was composed after the Franco-Prussian war and was made in Prussia. Has the copyright for it expired? Or is it still illegal to download it?

Short answer, if the copyright has expired, then its fair game.

It depends on the source. What we call the mechanical royalty on it (the copyright the artist holds) has probably expired, but whoever created the copy that you will actually download, be it a scanned piece of sheet music, or programmed in through a program like finale, that entity has the right to charge a (record) royalty for (basically) distribution and arrangement. These fees are not an actual copyright and thus do not expire as they are held and maintained privately by individuals or record companies. However this fee is essentially just a charge for a service that the record company provides for you, which is of coarse providing you with a copy of the music. However once the artist's copyright has expired, you are legally able to copy the music, in whatever form, yourself and thus omit the middle man (the record company).

Hope it helps, copyright law is whack.

Does it matter? I am willing to bet my life that you downloaded one song illegally before and I am willing to bet my life again that no one noticed and/or cared.

The pieces themselves are more than likely in the public domain. However, I think it would depend on the performance of the piece. For something like a national anthem I am sure you can find a free recording, or if nothing else, a MIDI of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    The pieces themselves are more than likely in the public domain. However, I think it would depend on the performance of the piece. For something like a national anthem I am sure you can find a free recording, or if nothing else, a MIDI of it.
    ^ This.