Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with W123 Chassis Mercedes Benz?

Default Anyone have experience with W123 Chassis Mercedes Benz?

I recently bought a 1983 Mercedes Benz 240D, Diesel with 144,000 miles.

I have wanted one of them for as long as I could remember.

I haven't been on for a while, so I just thought I'd share this ( because the car is the reason I haven't been on.. I've been working on it... )

How is everyone?

I just managed to get a full-time job.. $10.00 an hour.. so I put in 2 weeks at my part time..

I turn 18 in 30 days!

Good car, but they're slow. Watch out when you pull out into traffic. The 300D felt like it had twice the power, but it had an extra cylinder, and a small turbo, so...

Check the front ball joints, tie rods, and idler arm bushing for wear. They don't usually have excessive tire wear because of this, so you'll have to physically look underneath and see what has excess play.

I think the W123 had a rag joint at the front of the driveshaft like a W124. If it does, make sure it's not cracked.

The only benz I ever had was a 190e, the car wasn't that quick but it did ride nice and had the weirdest turning radius I have ever driven.

That car had the tightest turning circle I have ever experienced, and the air conditioning/heating system was weird I could never get it to work right, and if I remember correctly it was lousy on gas which I tought odd for a 4 cyl.

I do want to get myself an older SLK one of these days, I just like the styling of that car good luck with your benz.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    Slow as they may be, they are tanks. Street legal Panzers :P
    Hah! I was going to say the same. Those old diesels are loud and slow (IE - the PERFECT diesel) ... on yeah, and they run forever.

Yeah...

I have a question.

The car shudders at 50+ miles an hour, and it quits shuddering at 63 MPH and up. Could this have something to do with the joints? Because a mechanic told me I do not need an alignment.

Also, is it possible to adjust the valves myself? Or do i need specialize hardware?

Where can I buy Window Regulators and Tracks, or is there a way to get to the windows and chock them up with wood ( I have 2 Windows that are messed up and the interior gets wet if I dont cover it )

190E gets about 11 MPG.. A buddy of mine owns one.. he is trading in tomorrow for a Diesel New Beetle ( I convinced him.. ) the one hes getting is a 2004 with 120k Miles on it.
    Last edited by Trevor; 06-Sep-2009 at 01:12. Reason: merging posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    Slow as they may be, they are tanks. Street legal Panzers :P
    HAHA!!! That made me laugh. Gret use of historical knowledge

Plus 1 rep.

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Yeah...

I have a question.

The car shudders at 50+ miles an hour, and it quits shuddering at 63 MPH and up. Could this have something to do with the joints? Because a mechanic told me I do not need an alignment.
    That's a tire either out of balance, or marbles inside the tire. Sometimes when the tires are installed, any bit of debris that ends up in there rolls around as the tire rotates, gathering up rubber as it goes. After a few years, these marbles can get big.

Also, is it possible to adjust the valves myself? Or do i need specialize hardware?
    You'll need 2 14mm open wrenches, a .10mm feeler gauge for the intake, and a .15mm for the exhaust (I think). This site shows it done to a 5 cylinder, but the 4 cylinder is done the same way. Start at #1 TDC, and work thru the firing order. It's not a very easy job, but necessary because the valves do tighten up from mileage.

Where can I buy Window Regulators and Tracks, or is there a way to get to the windows and chock them up with wood ( I have 2 Windows that are messed up and the interior gets wet if I dont cover it )
    There are lots of places to get MB parts from. Just Google search, and price-shop.

190E gets about 11 MPG.. A buddy of mine owns one.. he is trading in tomorrow for a Diesel New Beetle ( I convinced him.. ) the one hes getting is a 2004 with 120k Miles on it.
    He has my condolences. On both cars.

I never thought about the issue with rubber balls. Its not something I've seen in years, but I guess I just don't think about tires that last for more than 10,000 miles lol. I need to find a cheaper hobby...

The shuddering could also be a driveline issue. If the driveshaft is slightly bent or out of balance in any way, or if there is play in the u-joints/cv's (whatever MB uses) that could cause a vibration at certain speeds. Are you going to convert it to run on fryer oil? That is a popular model to convert if I'm not mistaken.