Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peta?

Exclamation Peta?

I beleive everyone knows the organization for animal rights, 'Peta.' They go undercover to exploit labrotories, shelter, food that requires animals etc. and show the public that animals are being harmed and killed. Understandable that it is inhumain (sp?)

However, I do not approve of Peta. I know there's a lot of Peta people around the globe and internet, but I feel like I'm defying animal rights if I'm against Peta. From what I know, they are known for having explict advertisements, euthanize many animals for seperate reasons (want a better death, not enough money) and tend to have very vicious tactics to get noticed. Here's the source (Sorry it's from Wikipedia, but I also want clarification on Peta, if needed):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

So curious for those out there, do you approve of Peta BEFORE this thread? How about after you read this thread? How does this make you feel? Do you think others memeber of Peta know their past records?

Once again, I find killing/torturing animals is TRULY inhumain; I am still not approving of Peta.

P.s. Should a warning should be put on this thread? I'm all for it if needed be.
    Last edited by Angelicus; 19-Mar-2008 at 22:13.

Most people don't like PETA. It doesn't make you an animal hater to dislike them. I particularly dislike them because I am an animal lover, and they make people like me into a joke. I volunteer at an animal shelter, try not to buy meat that I don't know where it came from and how it was killed, I don't wear fur, etc. But PETA just turns all that into something so extreme that it is mocked by most. For example, years ago they had a campaign where they tried to tell people that beer was healthier to drink than milk. And I think they also have done some extreme things with celebrities who wear fur or leather. It's disappointing because the message behind all their actions is one that I support, but they go about it in too extreme of a way.

Well before this thread I had heard of them, but didn't much about them.

I think that animals do have certain rights, "The question is not, can they reason? Nor can they talk? But, can they suffer?". (Bentham)
    And I think that using explicit advertisements is perfectly fine; even the government uses explicit adverts go important things (Don't drink and drive campaigns, don't speed etc.) so I have no problem with them doing that. (But the adverts have to realistic though, like saying beer is healthier than milk is silly).
    But euthanasia on animals... In my opinion they should only rescue the animals they are able to save, what's the point it if they kill the animals? I think they could be doing something more useful than taking suffering animals just to kill them. Either fully save them, or work on other ways to prevent the mistreatment of animals.

And supporting people who raid places and cause damage... well that's just not right. People who help animals are meant to be the good guys, surely things can be done inside of the law. I think that this kind of stuff gives you a bad name, and so will probably result in less support!

So I'd never support PETA, because there are other animal rights groups that I would find more trustworthy. (Not even taking into account PETA is against things that i think are fine, like eating meat and doing scientific experiments on animals*)

*There's a lot I could say about that, but that's for a different topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    But euthanasia on animals... In my opinion they should only rescue the animals they are able to save, what's the point it if they kill the animals? I think they could be doing something more useful than taking suffering animals just to kill them. Either fully save them, or work on other ways to prevent the mistreatment of animals.
    Most of the time the animals are put down is because it is cheaper for them than to pay the vet bills. They just don't get enough from donations etc.. to care for every needy animal.

But they can't just leave the animals to die. If they know an animal is in need and it sounds like they'll have to put it down so they leave it to die by itself. No necessarily the best when to get a good reputation, which in turn would reflect on the amount of donations they get.

But in the end, Its kinda harsh that there is animal cruelty. I do support the fact that they try and prosecute the guilty people responsible by gathering evidence etc...So there is some justice done on the animals behalf.

As for PETA. Yes, I pretty much agree with the above of extreme views and sometimes working outside the law is just not the way to go. Physically attacking researchers known to do animal testing? I think all those protesters should have all drugs, medicine and possible make-up confiscated from them and see if they still have their views after a few years. Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicus View Post
    A Peta army has been summoned to trample over you!

http://www.targetofopportunity.com/peta_protest1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    My Sierra Club Moderates own your Peta extremists (their little Peta hearts are in the right place, or at least the right direction... but...)

http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages/imagefolder/miketidwell.jpg

Now let's have a nice, orderly protest here... Robert's Rules Of Order, please
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...+army#post1724

I'm a proud member of PETA...it means "People Eating Tasty Animals"...right?

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    I'm a proud member of PETA...it means "People Eating Tasty Animals"...right?
    Amen!
    I support animal rights....but these people are crazy, I mean, I eat a ton of meat but I don't hate animals. Can you blame an animal for naturally eating another animal?

If I may bring out my nerdy MMO side for one second:
    "Peta needs to lrn2darwinism"

I love animals. I hate PETA.

I will avoid a forty-page-long rant about how much I ****in' hate PETA by just saying that ... I think they suck!

What Rance said! I'll just put it this way: I hate extremists, therefore I hate PETA. Their ideas for helping animals is laughable at best.

And then one day... This could happen. If they don't stop to think.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mGae5vkMekA

***CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE***