Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: astronauts

Default astronauts

i saw the other day on discovery channel that astronauts do indeed wear diapers ( their exact words) while on their 8 hr space walks. just thought i'd mention it.

Gone

.. and what do you want to discuss in this topic? Usually when you write a topic you bring up a subject which people might say something about oh Ive done that such and such happened or something like that but really there's nothing to discuss and no offense but most people already have known this.

well, there might be some people who didnt know, for them...
    I think they call it a MAG or something fancy scientific name. They wear them during liftoff/entry, as the g-forces are so strong it forces you to empty your bladder, causing the astronaut to wet themself without control. I have read that some of the astronauts try to go without water etc, inorder to try to prevent wetting themself, but it happens anyway. Then obvously during a space walk, not like you could unzipper your space suit and just take a leak, and crossing your legs and hopping around trying to hold it seem a little imposible, so not much choice but to let loose and hope your 'MAG' is really that absorbent

And NASA certainly doesn't want any of their astronauts soiling one of their million dollar space suits.

racer pretty much summed it up. They are called MAG s which stands for Maximum Absorbency Garment.

When you think about it, it's a sensible precaution and everyone is mature enough to take it as a necessary one.

Nothing more to say on this topic.

Being the NASA nut that I am (I watch missions from day 1 to landing, every mission), they each get 3 one for launch, one for landing, and another as a backup. If they are doing EVAs (extra-vehicular activities or spacewalks) they get more. As for them not trying to drink anything, I think its true. But for the last few missions, this being one of them, they drink in the white room (where they enter the shuttle). Once they get the suits on, they have to wear them for 4 or 5 hours and it gets really hot in there. Thats about it. They ordered them bulk in the 1980s and they still have a huge stalk of them.

Man, i'd love to get my paws on some of that stack. I bet those diapers are out of this world

i dont know if they are the exactly the same diapers as they use but one of my furends in the states has tried these. he says they are the same ones, no wetness indicators and really really absorbent. i want to get my paws on these but just need the money now

Unique Wellness Briefs

Quote Originally Posted by SulliLan View Post
    i dont know if they are the exactly the same diapers as they use but one of my furends in the states has tried these. he says they are the same ones, no wetness indicators and really really absorbent. i want to get my paws on these but just need the money now

Unique Wellness Briefs
    The ones astronauts wear is a very very absorbent pull-up. If I'm correct, the manufacturer has gone out and from the 1980s only a third of NASA's MAG supply remains.

Quote Originally Posted by SulliLan View Post
    he says they are the same ones
    They're not. That's just marketing hype from the company. "OMG NASA TECHNOLOGY."

They're talking about... the same technology used by basically every diaper - superabsorbent gel.