Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay for having money and accomplishments!

annierighthurr

Default Yay for having money and accomplishments!

I am so proud of myself because I just managed to pay off most of the debt that has been following me around for quite while, plus my school tuition as well. I have always been really terrible at saving anything and now to see my bank account glowing in the green at $1100 and not to owe much of anything.... is a HUGE accomplishment. I am so proud of myself and I actually feel like I can work my credit back up, which jas felt so helpless for so long (I had tons of medical bills, to anybody who is gonna comment about how much debt you can have at age 20. The answer is, when you have a medical condition... a LOT.).

I don't even know what to do except squeal and be sooo proud of this. I don't even have the inclination to go out and spend more since I actually have it to spend (well okay maybe a little...) and that is also a huge habit reversal for me.

What have you accomplished lately that you are really proud of?

I feel so totally motivated now, lol.

That's good to hear, A! It sounds like you've taken a lot of solid initiative to get yourself into a place where you can smoothly sail without debts bogging you down! And also good that you're appreciating these accomplishments in yourself -- people need to keep tabs of what they do well to benefit themselves. Self-respect and confidence is always a plus!

Over the past few months, I've been really focusing on my writing. I'm just two chapters (out of 42!) away from completing my third edit of my first novel. I've been trying to consolidate ideas, remove needless description, and work on brevity. I'll be skirting through one more quick edit for story continuity before giving it out to beta readers. It's almost 800 pages long (gaaaah), which takes a lot longer than I'd like to go through with a fine-toothed comb. -_- In addition to that, I've been proofing a new concept through a series of short stories. I've been sending queries for those out to anthology publishers, so maybe something will come of that!

That's really been the only thing I've been proud of over the summer -- school is about to start up again, though, which I'm immensely excited about. Time to learn some more horseshit!

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I got a job
    Congratulations!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    That's good to hear, A! It sounds like you've taken a lot of solid initiative to get yourself into a place where you can smoothly sail without debts bogging you down! And also good that you're appreciating these accomplishments in yourself -- people need to keep tabs of what they do well to benefit themselves. Self-respect and confidence is always a plus!

Over the past few months, I've been really focusing on my writing. I'm just two chapters (out of 42!) away from completing my third edit of my first novel. I've been trying to consolidate ideas, remove needless description, and work on brevity. I'll be skirting through one more quick edit for story continuity before giving it out to beta readers. It's almost 800 pages long (gaaaah), which takes a lot longer than I'd like to go through with a fine-toothed comb. -_- In addition to that, I've been proofing a new concept through a series of short stories. I've been sending queries for those out to anthology publishers, so maybe something will come of that!

That's really been the only thing I've been proud of over the summer -- school is about to start up again, though, which I'm immensely excited about. Time to learn some more horseshit!
    Nice! I love to write and have written many, many stories. 800 pages is huge! I would say that's a pretty big accomplishment, lol. What is your novel about? That is really awesome.

I'm excited for school to start up too, I'll admit it haha -especially since I don't have to worry about paying for it. I have to wait almost a whole month still though. (Sept 21 is when I go back.)

Now if you can just keep saving you be in good shape for the future, 1100 is a good start I find it easyer to save once I get above the 1K mark it looks like you have something.

Now the big trick is to keep saving, and don't spend more money than you have comming in, this is where alot of people get in trouble, they count on that paycheck to be there without fail and they over extend themselves.

I know I was an expert at this when I was in my 20's, I would buy a car and put myself in a hole, then I would sell the car to get out of debt and pay off my bills.

I always made a few bucks on each car and over the years I have collected a good chunk of change.

Anna, a major accomplishment in these lean times. Congrats!
    I wen't from deep in debt to a 70k savings and then bought a house from ages 24-34. Will power is a hard thing when your young, your mastering it will carry you a long way.

you asked, "What have you accomplished lately that you are really proud of?"
    I'm working on a relationship with a younger girl, (over 21) who seems to care for me. I'd become a sworn hermit after my last few roomies and haven't dated in almost 4 years. I know the 50%+ age thing will become an issue sometime but nothing ventured nothing gained. Risking my heart again is an accomplishment for me.

Congrats Anna.... Like others have said, saving is a great accomplishment, especially in this economy. Many people have discovered how ruinous credit card debt can be, so getting your ledger clean is great.

Dawes....800 pages!!! I'm so behind you with only 180. I did get two more chapters written this summer, and I really like where my story is going. Like all novels, I'll just have to see. The fear is that I'll just dry up, but that hasn't happened at all. There's so much that's in my head. Today at supper I was looking out into space, and my wife asked me what was wrong. The truth was that I was thinking about more plot line. It just stays in my head like an alternate reality.

So great accomplishment to you on your novel. It's an incredible accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Annastacia View Post
    Congratulations!!

Nice! I love to write and have written many, many stories. 800 pages is huge! I would say that's a pretty big accomplishment, lol. What is your novel about? That is really awesome.

I'm excited for school to start up too, I'll admit it haha -especially since I don't have to worry about paying for it. I have to wait almost a whole month still though. (Sept 21 is when I go back.)
    Keep writing! Even if they're just little short stories, at least you're exercising your creativity, and those ideas could flare up into something big!

The manuscript I'm editing is a fantasy novel. It's got a lot of parallels with American history in it, too, but it's mostly the beginning to a sword-and-sorcery series I want to work on. I've got the second book written, but it's going to endure the same rewrites and edits as the first, which have taken three years at this point. ;/ It's been a hassle so far, but I love every minute of it!

As for school, you are so lucky! I start back on Monday, but I'm really excited about it, too! I love going to class.

Dogboy, I'm so glad to hear that you're still writing! As for the 800-page length, it's going to be hard for me to sell -- the market seems rarely interested in such long novels as debut works. I've been trying to drop the word count, cutting out every single needless word, but it doesn't seem to do much. ;/ I slit out 70,000 words my last run through, so I'm hoping to cut just as many on the next.

It's awesome to see that your story has gathered so much of your own attention. Those things will take you over! You'll find you thinking about them at the strangest times. I remember you sharing your idea, and it was outstanding, so I'd be excited to read it once you got it done! Just push through and complete it -- you'll get it done soon enough!

just takes one credit caed to destroy it again so stay away!! and i know the costs of a medical condition since my mom had back problems and was in majoer debt and my grand ma would have been if not for medicare. and i have a job and have plans to save money up.

COOL! Always is good to pay off a debt and have some extra money Anna. I have been lucky myself not to have money worries. Just one small medical bill I am paying down and I was able to buy myself a Cleveland Indians Rick 'Wild Thing' Vaughn jersey as a reward for hard work all summer.

Plus, also I mentioned this earlier in another thread I lost 45 lbs this summer and I plan to lose more. I've gone down five inches on my waist and I feel better. I turely do. Anna, I gotta say accomplishments in life feel great. Enjoy yours!

WildThing121675