Thread: Scot Free

Default Scot Free

There was a report on FOX NEWS that the Obama Administration had given British PM Gordan Brown the okay, that they would not object to the release of Lybian terrorist bomber, Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, convicted in a Scottish court of the taking down of PM-AM Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

What are your opinions of the release of al-Megrahi and the actions of the Lybian leader, Moannmar Ghadafi, giving him a hero's welcome in Tripoli? Do you think that this action by Scottish justice minister will have harmful effects on Brown's government? If this report is true, what consequences will it have on the Obama Administration in the Congress and across the USA?

I personally am abhorred by the decision to release this terrorist. OK, I can understand if Scotland doesn't do the death penalty (not sure if they do or not, just saying) but I just cannot, for the life of me understand how a terrorist bomber like this did not at least receive life in prison with no chance at parole.

And now he's back in Libya??? This is just stupid, the Libyan's don't like us. As for implications for Obama, this is just another mark that he is soft on terrorists, that he want's to appease them and apoligize for america's arrogance.

There's no point in even worring about the man's release, he is dying of incurable cancer and will be gone in a few months.
    The taxpayers in Scotland are the winners here, since they will not have to bear the medical costs of treatment and care while he slowly dies in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    this is just another mark that he is soft on terrorists, that he want's to appease them and apoligize for america's arrogance.
    how terrible! we should be proud of our arrogance!

Honestly it was a lose lose situation for Obama. If he wasn't ok with it he could screw up our relations with Britain and if he was he looks like a dick for being ok with the terrorist being let go. Not like he makes good decisions anyway so this is no big deal.

I couldn't care less that the guy got released. If true, the report will have absolutely no effect on the administration, congress, or the US. It's just not that big of a deal.

This release matter has already been discussed on another thread.

He's served time, he's been released, there's nothing you can do about it, he'll be dead by Christmas anyway.

I think the report you stated has got things slightly muddled. The US government were very clear that they did not want him released, I think what it means is that they wont take any actions against the UK for it.
    It's already been said it was a lose lose situation. Either he's accused of being soft on terrorists, or he loses his best friend and America looks like stuck up pricks to the rest of the world for sanctioning someone because they made a decision they didn't agree with.

Personally I admire Scotland. Compassionate release is part of their system, and they weren't going to change their system just because the US didn't like it. You lot have to learn that despite all your resources, you are just a country like anyone else, and don't have the right to bully others.

you claim that Fox had a story about the release of terrorists. yet you provided no link for verification of the existence of this story. and secondly, you're source is Fox; could you get a REAL news organization yo verify this story that Fox put out?

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    I couldn't care less that the guy got released. If true, the report will have absolutely no effect on the administration, congress, or the US. It's just not that big of a deal.
    To you its not a big deal. To others it might me, such as me or the victim's family's. Plus I don't know how anyone can say he has cancer, so he can't be a threat. Having cancer doesn't prevent people from committing insane crimes, plus it was bad enough he got a hero's welcome like he did something as great.

Also harris, you seem to be in a pretty low majority of not caring. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...kerbie-bomber/ (no the poll was not on fox, it was Rasmussen Reports)

Anyways I guess here's Obama's thoughts. U.S. President Barack Obama declared the decision to release Abdel Baset al-Megrahi "a mistake," and said he should be placed under house arrest on his return to Libya, rather the feted with a hero's welcome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_263879.html