Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tutoring Thread!

FullMetal

Default The Tutoring Thread!

OK, so I think that the title is self explanatory but I will explain it anyway. Since we have a good amount or teens in middle/high school and those in college I have decided that it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for those who need help with homework or just need help generally understanding their subject matter. I think that it could really do good, since education is a huge priority.

It is simple:

Post your question:

Example:

"I need help with my algebra 1 homework: The equation is X+1=4, how do I do it."

For easy view, post what subject you need help in and the level of difficulty, so if its a subject matter or a difficulty level that someone is unfamiliar with, they know not to even attempt it and get you more confused.

Example response:

"

"I need help with my algebra 1 homework: The equation is X+1=4, how do I do it."
    Well what you need to do is, since you want to find out what X is, you have to get it alone, you can do so by subtracting 1 from the equation, and since it is a rule in math that what you do to one side of the equation, you have to do to the other, you will have to also subtract it from 4, like this:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9175/mathhxd5.png

And that is how you would do it!"

Needless to say, if you are not 100% about your answer, it would be better not to try and help because you might end up confusing the person more. So just be sure you know it! Anyway, I hope this helps some of you.

FullMetal

EmeraldsAndLime

I could help people with the following:

Mathematics (Calculus mainly, all the way up to multivariates)
    English (namely persuasive speech writing)
    And a certain few topics on Physics, Basic Chemistry and Engineering fields.

Of course, I'm one to work it out on paper. So my idea of a response will be to do it myself and then scan it as an image.
    Last edited by EmeraldsAndLime; 19-Mar-2008 at 01:58.

I'll put my name in the hat too!

I'm specifically oriented to English and analysis of various styles of work. I'm familiar with considerable amounts of Enlightenment-era literature. Moreover, if you need help structuring or planning a paper, it's something that I love doing, so I would be glad to help with that too! Other than that, history is my other area of strength (with a specific focus on American history as well as ancient European).

Hopefully, I can use this cobwebbed brain to good use for someone else!

Any of the sciences I'm good at teaching. Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc. I'm also very much into American history and government.

I have 100+ hours of tutoring experience in high school math, science and English, although math is my speciality.

I'm also a part owner of a company that does online tutoring, in case anyone wants to try that.

I am really good in most sciences. Except not so much in Phyisics, but I am good in Biology, Enviormental Sceince, and some Chemistry. I am also pretty good with writting essays, I have never ever got lower than a C on any of my papers in a 3 year college history, and that one C was from a hard grading teacher anyways.

I will be taking a College Algebra course next semester in the fall, so I will come back to this thread for help, if it is still here, if not I will post a new thread haha. I think our new memeber Izzy would be good with helping with a lot of subjects, he is in Yale after all!

FullMetal

This isn't the "I can help with this ____" Thread, it is more like, just someone asks a question, and a random person that KNOWS it answers. You do not have to sign up or anything like that, just help when and if you can, thanks

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I could help people with the following:

Mathematics (Calculus mainly, all the way up to multivariates)
    ha-ah I'm tied with you, unless you haven't taken differential equations, then I've won the math game!

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    ha-ah I'm tied with you, unless you haven't taken differential equations, then I've won the math game!
    Hehe, I have taken differential equations. They were a huge part of my course. I think we spent about 6+ weeks doing them. (Keep in mind, 6 weeks in a university semester is a long time, as a uni semester is only 13 weeks for me)