Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CIA Inspector General Report 2004 and Holder Announcement

Default CIA Inspector General Report 2004 and Holder Announcement

I saw that nobody posted on this, so I figured I should:

Today, the CIA's inspector general report on interrogation was released from 2004. Here's the link: The Washington Independent The 2004 CIA Inspector General Report on Torture

Some short snippets:
    "OIG found 11 interrogation videotapes to be blank. Two others were blank except for one or two minutes of recording. Two others were broken and could not be reviewed. OIG compared the videotapes to [redacted] logs and cables and identified a 21-hour period of time, which included two waterboard sessions, that was not captured on the videotape."

"One officer expressed concern that one day, Agency officers will wind up on some "wanted list" to appear before the World Court for war crimes stemming from activities [redacted] Another said "Ten years from now we're going to be sorry we're doing this ... [but] it has to be done." He expressed concern that the CTC Program will be exposed in the news media and cited particular concern about the possibility of being named in a leak."

"In one instance cited in the new documents, Abd al-Nashiri, the man accused of being behind the 2000 USS Cole bombing, was hooded, handcuffed and threatened with an unloaded gun and a power drill. The unidentified interrogator also threatened Nashiri's mother and family, implying they would be sexually abused in front of him, according to the report.

Other interrogators told alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, "if anything else happens in the United States, 'We're going to kill your children,'" one veteran officer said in the report."
    ----

Wonderful stuff, really. The depths of depravity that I'm reading in the report are scaring me.

Some good news though - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/us...detain.html?hp

Holder is appointing a prosecute to look into a dozen or so cases of interrogation. I wish it was a broader investigation, all the way to the Oval Office, but I think it will expand as more details are released.

Thoughts?

For the strangest reason the first thing I thought when I saw this was, "I wonder if the CIA keeps tabs on this site..."

To be perfectly honest, I've become so disgusted with the breaches of privacy, breaches of international law, and the (multiple) absolutely retarded politically-motivated interpretations of our own laws that came out of the Bush Administration, that I'm literally numb to this.

I've been kind-of-sort-of following the slow release of the report, and honestly, I can't even get myself to feel angry about it anymore. It's just really, really...sad.

EDIT: I feel obligated to add a link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EwTP...eature=related
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 25-Aug-2009 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I've become so disgusted with the breaches of privacy, breaches of international law, and the (multiple) absolutely retarded politically-motivated interpretations of our own laws that came out of the Bush Administration, that I'm literally numb to this.

I've been kind-of-sort-of following the slow release of the report, and honestly, I can't even get myself to feel angry about it anymore. It's just really, really...sad.
    Ditto (if I can say that without a nit-wit Rush Limbaugh connotation).

I think the US would do well to look at the possibility of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission, similar to what was done in South Africa at the end of apartheid. Simply investigate, uncover and air every awful breach and transgression--not with the intention of trial and punishment, but simply to expose for all to see the things that were done in our names.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Other interrogators told alleged Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, "if anything else happens in the United States, 'We're going to kill your children,'" one veteran officer said in the report."
    If anyone believes they were really going to do that, I would find that funny. Just how they near had the power drill touch him they were never going to kill anyone they didn't have to for safety and/or justice.

"putting them in diapers", yep, that's torture as most of us know. Diapers are REALLY painful. Also I find it funny that Yoo comes from of all places Berkley, califreakingfornia!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Also I find it funny that Yoo comes from of all places Berkley, califreakingfornia!
    Yes. Or at least, he teaches there. SEE LINK IN MY PREVIOUS POST ABOVE.

Wikipedia says he grew up in Philadelphia: John Yoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would seem that he teaches at Berkeley because he's really, really smart, like, you know, most professors that teach at Berkeley. That doesn't mean his opinions are ethically right.

Also, where someone lives has absolutely nothing to do with the logical validity of their opinions. There's really no point in mentioning that he's at Berkeley because I'd think the same thing about his views whether he lives in Berkeley, California or Provo, Utah.

On a different note, this is new as of today and awesome: Is Using A Minotaur To Gore Detainees A Form Of Torture? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

If anyone believes they were really going to do that, I would find that funny. Just how they near had the power drill touch him they were never going to kill anyone they didn't have to for safety and/or justice.
    Why would he have any reason to doubt them? It's not like they were following the rule of law. The CIA has done much worse stuff than execute a man in the past. They have a history and reputation for all sorts of things from mind control experiments, assassinations, military and political coups and medically unethical experiments conducted on unwitting subjects.

Don't forget the whole "School of the Americas" fiasco.

The CIA banks on its reputation of being the biggest, meanest badasses on the geopolitical block. Nobody can then turn around and say "well, a guy being held by the CIA in a clandestine prison should have known that they were kidding when they took out the power drill" with any intellectual honesty.

"putting them in diapers", yep, that's torture as most of us know. Diapers are REALLY painful.
    We wear them with consent. I've engaged in sex acts with women that would get me locked up for decades if they weren't done with consent. Consent is the missing component, here. Without consent, it's degrading and humiliating, as most *B/DL's know. A casual glance at any *B/DL story where someone is forced in to diapers highlights the humiliation aspect. The difference there is that the story is fantasy.

Basically, with the whole "it's just fratboy pranks!" excuse you just pulled, you are publicly admitting you don't know the difference between sex and rape, or fantasy and reality.

Also I find it funny that Yoo comes from of all places Berkley, califreakingfornia!
    Actually, he was born in South Korea.

But what does that factually incorrect red herring have to do with anything?

Oh wow we threatened the lives of people who assisted in the killing of hundreds or people. What is so bad about that. Those people were threats to the U.S. and though the tactics may have been harsh they were attempts to keep Americans safe. It is not like they were really going to kill children or sexually abuse people. This is all being taken a little more seriously than it actually is. Besides many of the groups those people belong to would treat their captives much worse and have terrible torture techniques that are much worse than what was used in those interrogations.

Quote Originally Posted by genbaby View Post
    Oh wow we threatened the lives of people who assisted in the killing of hundreds or people. What is so bad about that. Those people were threats to the U.S. and though the tactics may have been harsh they were attempts to keep Americans safe. It is not like they were really going to kill children or sexually abuse people. This is all being taken a little more seriously than it actually is. Besides many of the groups those people belong to would treat their captives much worse and have terrible torture techniques that are much worse than what was used in those interrogations.
    It's immoral, and against the law. Claiming that other people have done or would do worse is a pathetic excuse and shows you to be an unprincipled coward who drops any pretense of morality when someone says "boo". The founding fathers of the United States would be ashamed of you.