Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Life after death?

Default Life after death?

I'm not really sure what to believe in when it comes to this subject...

My mother is a deeply religious person, but that's a sentiment she and I have never shared...

I do not enjoy talking to people about God or Jesus, and I do not care to go to church

When I was younger, I thought I belived in God, but now that I'm older, I'm just not certain...

What are your views on this?

I was pretty much how you described but then I looked at the world and guessed that all of this and us isn't here just by chance.

Whats the likelihood of sentient beings even existing if all we were born from is say, rocks.

As for the afterlife I assume there's a heaven and a hell being christian. However I pray it's not as boring as it's generally perceived. I am sure heaven is perfect but I just can't help but think it would be boring after say 250 years. As for Hell I think fire and brimstone is just over the top. Hell should be nothingness.. just you in a white room that goes on forever and its just you. It never gets dark, you never go hungry or anything. That way you don't need anything but you long for contact of any kind, human or otherwise. But you'll never get it.

Honestly, I think the lights go out and that's all she wrote.

Is there a cat afterlife, an ant heaven? Why would we be any different? We're just a species of primate that happened to mutate a particularly large brain.

I still hold faith in a higher power.

As time goes on I find myself thinking less and less about the afterlife.

But sometimes I have to have faith, ya know?

If this world is the highest point we can live for, humanity is a pretty shitty existence.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    If this world is the highest point we can live for, humanity is a pretty shitty existence.
    Why do you say that?

Earth is a beautiful, wonderful place, full of natural beauty and human creativity.

We humans haven't managed to totally screw it up yet

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post
    Why do you say that?

Earth is a beautiful, wonderful place, full of natural beauty and human creativity.

We humans haven't managed to totally screw it up yet
    Perhaps not totally screw it up.

Yes you raise a very good point, there are many wonderful things to experience in life. Friendship and Love are some of the greatest experiences we can ever hope to ask for.

But when you take into account that every life is full of hardship and pain (some more than others) one can't help but hope there is some higher existence free from all negative emotions and experiences.

No life after death, just nothingness.

Hopefully that won't be the case, I'd like to live on Earth 2, where everything is just like here, except everybody has already lived once and been born again. And we speculate on the existence of Earth 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    ...one can't help but hope there is some higher existence free from all negative emotions and experiences.
    But what good is the positive if there is nothing to compare it to?

Can one truly know what joy is, if one has not also known pain?

What meaning does victory have, if one has not also known defeat?

If everyone is a winner, does that not diminish the very thrill of the achievement? Would it really be the same feeling?

I'm not saying that bad things are good. I'm saying they're part of the human experience.

Well, this subject is way too controversial for me, so I'll keep my theories to myself.

Butterfly Mage

I'm a Wiccan, so I believe in reincarnation. Sometimes I get the feeling that I got mowed down by a machine gun nest in World War One. I think I got gassed to death in World War Two. I don't think I was ever anyone fameous.

So, considering that I'm healthy, alive, have a meaningful spirituality, and a wonderful partner, I'd say this life is pretty darned good so far.