Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English help

A good example is when you are seperating items such as this, that, the other. Someone else can tell you the full use..ask Izzy..

Commas can:

1) separate related items (as Res listed above);
    2) connect two simple thoughts in one complex sentence (i.e., "I went to the store, but the store was closed.");
    3) connect two sentence fragments to complete a whole thought (i.e., "We were runnning, probably too fast, so we didn't see the car until it hit us.");
    and finally, 4) to provide a space in a sentence where a pause is required or a breath should be taken during recitation.

Using a comma in conjunction with "and" (i.e., "...opened the door, and then I...") can be confusing, and Wikipedia actually has a pretty well-detailed article on it.

Commas can also be interchanged in some situations with dashes (--) to expound upon intense phrases.

Hope this helps a bit, Val!
    Last edited by Dawes; 24-Aug-2009 at 06:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    When do you use comma's and could you show some examples?
    We should do apostrophes next.

Also, DOES NO ONE READ MY SIG? This is specifically covered in there.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post

I preferred it when you said you liked cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post

no do semicolons! I actually never learned the proper use of semicolons- which results in me comma splicing sometimes. x.x;

Peachy

Funny...we never learned where to put commas in English. My English teacher told us there weren't any strict rules and to just put them where we think they belong.
    Don't get me started on German comma rules though

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    I preferred it when you said you liked cheese.
    Sorry to disappoint. I still like cheese, though I've reached the point where I can no longer afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sila View Post
    no do semicolons! I actually never learned the proper use of semicolons- which results in me comma splicing sometimes. x.x;
    Semicolons are fun, but they tend to be misused and abused. I use semicolons quite a bit in my writing; I just can't get past the notion that sentences CAN be under 60 words in length.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Funny...we never learned where to put commas in English. My English teacher told us there weren't any strict rules and to just put them where we think they belong.
    Don't get me started on German comma rules though

Peachy
    "Put them where you think they belong" is good--if basic--advice for a native speaker, and works because there is a general "flow" to language. I'm not sure how well this would work across languages, as establishing the proper "flow" or meter of a language is difficult.

I may be wrong here, but it was my belief that commas may be used in the place of brackets. For example:

The car, which was red, was driving at twice the speed limit!

h3g3l - Even if no-one else does, I've read your signature and followed the links.
    Last edited by WoodlandWanderer; 24-Aug-2009 at 09:22. Reason: name was wrong

Semi-colons used to get me in trouble, too. Unlike commas, they are used to join two complete sentences, where as a comma will sometimes join a complete sentence to an incomplete sentence. I think we need an English major; they seem to know everything.