Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Baby/Children's Items Collector?

Question Are You a Baby/Children's Items Collector?

Haven't seen a thread based on our collections in recent memory - nothing open showed up in a search.

Do you collect anything at all used by children in the baby-to-early-school age range? Doesn't have to be a large amount of things you've accumulated. Just a few select items of a certain type that you enjoy having can constitute your "collection". Like with pacis you could have a few different sizes, makes, colors, or teat styles. Ditto with bottles!

With me, it's mainly larger items, which I happen to enjoy as most of you know by now.

For my collectables I have:

Kiddy Chairs & Tables (from our kids and a couple I've bought for myself)

Tricycles and other pedal toys from the pre-plastic age of toys - 1930s to 1950s

Prams and Strollers from the 1960s to year 2000

Yeah, they tend to eat up some real estate in our basement, but I'd hate to ever have to sell them all off. Have to add some photos later in this thread.

So what do you happen to enjoy collecting?

For me its small items like bottles and pacis, you know so it can be a well kept secret of who I am.

angelabauer

I have a classic 1968 model folding highchair that is just wide enough I can fit in it. I also have a couple of toddle-size plastic chairs which my husband and I bought new in 1991. As for small items, I have been collecting baby bottles since 1990. Hunting through thrift shops I have managed to find EvenFlo bottles dating from the late 1930's.

Without counting the pacifiers and diaper pins that I still use, I have a few glass bottles from the 1950's era, an old rattle, and the cardboard box package that ' Pampers ' were sold in from the early 1960's. I may decide to more actively try to acquire more baby items from days gone by.

Elli

I don't collect actual products from days gone by, but I do collect pictures of them which I catalogue, scrap book and laminate. I have a few A3 files of these. It's not just past products though, it's all products, because I like to compare different designs and brands as well as eras. And by collecting pictures now, I can look back in the future and have loads of pics to look at!

Apart from these pictures, I have some baby products, all of which were acquired before I began to associate myself the possibility of ABism. I have a travel cot, which was used as a ball pool, a mesh bed side, stroller, enough toys to run a daycare centre, a few dummies and two bottles, a travel flexi-gate, a metal safety gate. This is not a collection as such though, but more of an accumilation, over years, due to my curiousity and desire for baby products and an ocassional delve into the joy of getting something new. Now my life situation is a bit different, I don't think I'll be acquiring any larger products until in the future if I have an actual child.

Quote Originally Posted by babywolfy1 View Post
    For me its small items like bottles and pacis, you know so it can be a well kept secret of who I am.
    I figured that would be the case with any younger ADISC collectors when still living at home. Descretion is a must and collections need to necessarily be small. Though plushies would probably be the easiest collectables to get away with without raising any suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    I have a classic 1968 model folding highchair that is just wide enough I can fit in it. I also have a couple of toddle-size plastic chairs which my husband and I bought new in 1991. As for small items, I have been collecting baby bottles since 1990. Hunting through thrift shops I have managed to find EvenFlo bottles dating from the late 1930's.
    Angela, nice bottle collection you've got going there! Would you happen to have a pic of your highchair to share? I can just comfortably fit in our kid's old highchair, too. For me, the kiddy chairs also serve a practical purpose. When working on the car's brakes, the chair seat is just the right height off the ground. I use a Wal-Mart "Tot-Spot" kiddy camping chair. Saves my legs from stooping down too long, and is more comfy than sitting on the gravel driveway. My wife also uses one like it in the basement while waiting for the clothes to finish in the washer. They're definitely easy to carry around if you need temporary seating somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Without counting the pacifiers and diaper pins that I still use, I have a few glass bottles from the 1950's era, an old rattle, and the cardboard box package that ' Pampers ' were sold in from the early 1960's. I may decide to more actively try to acquire more baby items from days gone by.
    I was wondering if anyone would collect older baby rattles. I remember the days of glass baby bottles very well. Someone might have one of my old glass bottles in their collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    I don't collect actual products from days gone by, but I do collect pictures of them which I catalogue, scrap book and laminate. I have a few A3 files of these. It's not just past products though, it's all products, because I like to compare different designs and brands as well as eras. And by collecting pictures now, I can look back in the future and have loads of pics to look at!

Apart from these pictures, I have some baby products, all of which were acquired before I began to associate myself the possibility of ABism. I have a travel cot, which was used as a ball pool, a mesh bed side, stroller, enough toys to run a daycare centre, a few dummies and two bottles, a travel flexi-gate, a metal safety gate. This is not a collection as such though, but more of an accumilation, over years, due to my curiousity and desire for baby products and an ocassional delve into the joy of getting something new. Now my life situation is a bit different, I don't think I'll be acquiring any larger products until in the future if I have an actual child.
    That's what I've been desiring to do of late - collect more catalog pages and vintage advertising of baby goods. Itis pretty neat to see how different baby gear items have evolved over the years, partly brought about by changes in safety standards, as in car seats. Been thinking of buying some other Sears and Wards catalogs on ebay to image the baby goods pages. I've also purchased a couple old stroller catalogs, one from a company in NJ that used to make wicker prams.

~Pramrider
    Last edited by Pramrider; 25-Aug-2009 at 14:52.

I've been collecting antiques/memorabilia since I was 11. In my tin collection I have Johnson Baby Powder (square and rectangular) tins from the 20's, 30's. and 40's.

I have a large collection of glass baby bottles including early models that used pull on nipples. I have a white ceramic baby bottle warmer with a cloth 110v woven cord that a glass Evenflo Baby Bottle just fits in.

I have numerous diaper pins many all metal with painted ends.

I own a fully collapsible white canvas baby buggy from the 1950's.

I have numerous plastic and rubber baby toys.

Plastic and silver baby rattles.

Silver baby cups. Silver baby spoons with the looped over handle.

1920's Peter Rabbit warming baby plate (hollow and you fill with boiling water?) with 3 compartments.
    1930's Shirley Temple Blue glass, Plate and Cup set.
    1950's Hopalong Cassidy toddler/children's fork, knife and spoon set.
    Early 1960's Snoopy toddler/children's fork, knife and spoon set.
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 25-Aug-2009 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered Rabbit View Post
    I've been collecting antiques/memorabilia since I was 11. In my tin collection I have Johnson Baby Powder (square and rectangular) tins from the 20's, 30's. and 40's.

I have a large collection of glass baby bottles including early models that used pull on nipples. I have a white ceramic baby bottle warmer with a cloth 110v woven cord that a glass Evenflo Baby Bottle just fits in.

I have numerous diaper pins many all metal with painted ends.

I own a fully collapsible white canvas baby buggy from the 1950's.

I have numerous plastic and rubber baby toys.

Plastic and silver baby rattles.

Silver baby cups. Silver baby spoons with the looped over handle.

1920's Peter Rabbit warming baby plate (hollow and you fill with boiling water?) with 3 compartments.
    1930's Shirley Temple Blue glass, Plate and Cup set.
    1950's Hopalong Cassidy toddler/children's fork, knife and spoon set.
    Early 1960's Snoopy toddler/children's fork, knife and spoon set.
    Wow!!! That's quite an impressive collection of vintage baby items you have there, Diapered Rabbit! Some of them sound like they'd be highly valued to even non-infantilist collectors, especially the last four items you listed. Makes me wish I had started at an earlier age.

~Pramrider

I collect diaper service memorabilia. I have ash trays, matches, baby bottles, specimen bottles and various letters brochures and cards from diaper services from the 1930 - 1960s.

It's amazing how so much of their advertising was done via smoking items like matches and ashtrays. I have one brochure where they mention how a diaper service will cost mom a little more than a few packs of cigarettes a week.

I think my interest in diaper services is related to my love of cloth diapers. It's kind of an AB thing with a retro twist to it.

I always collect diaper bags and other baby stuff, bibs, anything babyish that might fite me. I have have a stroller and playpen