Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abdel Baset al-Megrahi released.

Default Abdel Baset al-Megrahi released.

Kin of victims: Release of terrorist 'sickening' - Yahoo! News

I think this is just stupid, he took over 100 lives. I don't care if he's dying of cancer and doctors gave him 3 months left to live, that's a lot more time then his victims had. So I think he should spend every single second of the rest of his life within a jail cell, preferable one he can't stand up in or lay down in.

This is a typical example of a completely one sided story, in this case the American side.

For your information there is a lot more to this than the American media seems to have portrayed. For sure they are some Scottish who feel exactly the same way, however others aren't against it. You will find there were serious holes in his trial with much of the evidence being circumstantial. On top of that there were evidently much higher people at work, nobody believes he could have done it by himself, yet he's the only one that was ever put on trial. There were even relevant things that weren't disclosed until after the trial had finished.

Yes the Americans are angry, but ultimately it was the Scot's decision and there is far more to this than that article tries to make you believe.

I don't have a problem with him being given compassionate release for the last couple of months of his life because, really, what difference does it make? He's dying and a prison isn't really equipped to give him the palliative care that anyone in the last few weeks of life needs. The only change between releasing him now or not at all is a marginal difference in how comfortable he is made in his last few days and, while I can understand friends and family of the victims are upset, I don't see that the cause of justice is served by him dying in less pleasant circumstances than he has now been allowed to, neither will it change what happened.

However, I do have some concerns about allowing him to return to Libya and be welcomed as a hero - this business about Gadhafi's private jet bringing him come to cheering crowds is distasteful and insulting. Releasing him to a hospice in Scotland where his family are free to visit would have seemed like a reasonable compromise to me.

This is all aside from the doubts and questions about his guilt as that should not come in to consideration here. If he is innocent and worthy of release on that basis it has to be decided in a legal trial but it has no relevance on whether he should be released on health grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    I don't have a problem with him being given compassionate release for the last couple of months of his life because, really, what difference does it make?
    The passengers didn't get a compassionate release, why should he? Justice is based on revenge to a extent but it's also there to be fair. He took away so many lives yet he's left to live out his remaining days "peacefully".

I just hope the US acts on this and puts him in court over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The passengers didn't get a compassionate release, why should he?
    Compassion, by definition, is not based on reciprocation.

This is absolutely fucking ridiculous, what does this make the scottish justice system look like. He let nearly 200 people did in a horrible way, whilst he is allowed to die with his family in comfort. Watching the public statment all that is being said he's dying, why not just let him have it his way, why not just let him die in prison. When ar home is he going to be supervised by any authorities? No, anyone could come and visit him. He is a criminal, terrorist mastermind. What's he going to do, pass on his secrets and plans of how to murder the masses.

Due to this one single event, what is the world going to view Scotland as?

I just saw this on the Guardian website, and came here to see if there was a stupid thread about it.

He's going to die, so he was released. It happens, it happened with Ronnie Biggs recently, and now this guy is getting released.

Sorry that we wasn't burnt at the stake the second he was sentenced. Yahoo news can suck my cock, and the white house too for that matter.

"I would like to see the United States expeditiously indict al-Megrahi and seek his extradition for trial in the U.S. for the murder of 189 innocent Americans," said Sullivan, of Akron, Ohio.
    Well you better get on it quick then! He ain't got long left.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The passengers didn't get a compassionate release, why should he? Justice is based on revenge to a extent but it's also there to be fair. He took away so many lives yet he's left to live out his remaining days "peacefully".

I just hope the US acts on this and puts him in court over here.
    A system based on revenge will always be inherently flawed. If you let anger and thoughts of reciprocation cloud your judgement, how can you ever fairly try someone if you are meant to be impartial?

So you are willing to take a dying man from his own country and close family, put him on trial for a case he's already been tried for, and take away his last chance to die in dignity, all for the sake of revenge - what does that say about your country?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    I don't have a problem with him being given compassionate release for the last couple of months of his life because, really, what difference does it make? He's dying and a prison isn't really equipped to give him the palliative care that anyone in the last few weeks of life needs. The only change between releasing him now or not at all is a marginal difference in how comfortable he is made in his last few days and, while I can understand friends and family of the victims are upset, I don't see that the cause of justice is served by him dying in less pleasant circumstances than he has now been allowed to, neither will it change what happened.
    Jaiden said it here really. This is not about what he has done in the past, this is about a human's right to appropriate care at the end of their lives. He is still human, and should get treated as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I just saw this on the Guardian website, and came here to see if there was a stupid thread about it.

He's going to die, so he was released. It happens, it happened with Ronnie Biggs recently, and now this guy is getting released.

Sorry that we wasn't burnt at the stake the second he was sentenced. Yahoo news can suck my cock, and the white house too for that matter.

Well you better get on it quick then! He ain't got long left.
    Doctor's aren't always right about saying how much time anyone has left..His cancer could always go into remission and he could get better. But yeah, thanks for calling my topic stupid.

Little ollie

*rolls eyes.*