Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand on legalization?

Question Where do you stand on legalization?

I was just wondering where everyone on adisc stood on the legalization(complete legalization not decriminalization) of illicit drugs in general. It seems that all the presidential candidates are being shifty about their views(not that i can blame them) so i wanted to see where everyone weighed in.

Anyways as much as i would like to see them legalized i don't think it will ever happen as i don't think the government will ever come out and willing admit to lying to the population for 30+years.

also i sort of wonder if anyone has a plausible way that they could be legalized?

If it were legalized should everyone in jail receive a pass?

Could you still be disqualified from a job for use?

So what does everyone think?

In my views, I think that if one wants to, then let them. I'd give an appropriate age limit though, somewhere from either 19-21.

But, that's coming from a hardcore hippie...

I am absolutely for legalization of cannabis. Market it and regulate it just like tobacco/alcohol. There should be a blood test (or breathalizer or some such) to allow for enforcing a ban on driving or operating heavy machinery while high.

Jails and courts are full of people convicted for multiple counts of possession of small amounts of marijuana. The cost of policing it alone is staggering.

The revenue from taxation alone would justify legalization. I could go on and on but there are better informed people than me who can speak to this... The Marijuana_Party_of_Canada - or as I call them, the "other" Green Party
    http://www.marijuanaparty.ca/index.en.php3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_Party_of_Canada

I am also all for legalization of Marijuana. I think legalization of painkillers like vicodin, and percocet should be legalized too. Other drugs I think should stay illegal, they are all way too dangerous to be avaliable on the market.
    Marijauna could be sold in packs (like cigarettes) with low to medium qaulity product for a decent price. Of course taxed by the government to help pull us out of this major deficet. Also they should make indivdual bags of high qaulity for sale that is not rolled, so it can be used in a pipe or rolled personally. With this having a high price and higher tax because of the qaulity. The regulation for Marijuana should be made for 21 and older. The benefit of legalizing this would make EVERY gang loose ALOT of money.
    The reason I would consider legalizing narcotic pain killers is because of their wide variety in medical benefit and overall safety when used as prescribed, all just like marijuana. It can make you feel better when sick, by releiving runny noses, sore throats, headaches, sinus pressure, allergies, diareaha, and of course releiving severe pain like broken bones and cancer. Plus not to mention it's great euphoria that comes with it.

im for the legalization of Cannibis too... lol its proven to be healthier than tobacco.it doesnt contain poisen,tar,nicotine,or other harmful chemicals. its all natural baby! lol but for reals they should because my dad drank alcohol and smoked marijuana but guess what killed him first?? thats right THE ALCOHOL! If anything alcohol and tobacco should be banned because marijuana is safer than both! although i dont recommend it for people who are jus fine without it, it should be available in stores rather than having connections where it could be laced with cocaine or sumthing worse! =-/

Quote Originally Posted by isaactheman View Post
    im for the legalization of Cannibis too... lol its proven to be healthier than tobacco.it doesnt contain poisen,tar,nicotine,or other harmful chemicals. its all natural baby! lol but for reals they should because my dad drank alcohol and smoked marijuana but guess what killed him first?? thats right THE ALCOHOL! If anything alcohol and tobacco should be banned because marijuana is safer than both!
    Its does contain tar ,but thats true of any burning plant material. marijuana has been shown to actually slow the spread and growth of cancer where as tobacco has been shown to promote the growth/spread of cancer. http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/new...ht-lung-tumors

although i dont recommend it for people who are jus fine without it, it should be available in stores rather than having connections where it could be laced with cocaine or sumthing worse! =-/
    marijuana be laced with anything unless you specifically buy it is a myth. It's simple economics a person trying to make money isn't going to throw in substances that cost significantly more then the product your selling for nothing.(as much as anti-marijuana group like to have everyone believe)

Anyway as far as i believe we should make marijuana legal and taxed by the government. I also think that we should make some of the weaker opiates legal to buy over the counter (yeah they feel good but opiates have a nasty habit of hooking you fast)

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered4lyfe View Post
    Anyway as far as i believe we should make marijuana legal and taxed by the government. I also think that we should make some of the weaker opiates legal to buy over the counter (yeah they feel good but opiates have a nasty habit of hooking you fast)
    I'm all for making marijuana legal...it's already legal for people with a medical prescription for it, so why not everyone else? Like (I think it was) Raccoon said though have tests so people don't do stupid sh*t like drive while 'high'. Yes, it DOES impair your motor skills, contrary to what you might want to believe, and like alcohol, should be regulated.

As for other 'drugs', I don't think so. If you need them, the doctor will give you a prescription for them, otherwise, nuh-uh.

In Canada, anyway, you can buy codeine over the counter (in cough medications and in pain relievers) but it's definitely a smaller dose than what you'd get in a prescribed version of the same medication.

I take T1s (tylenol with codeine) occasionally. T3s are better. I have also been prescribed muscle relaxant with codeine (although I'm out at the moment).

As far as I know it (codeine) is the only narcotic you can buy 'over the counter' but it's in such a small dose you'd probably have to drink the whole bottle of cough syrup to get the effects and then you'd probably just vomit it all back up again 'cause it's sickeningly sweet (to cover the bitterness of the codeine)

So, yes to marijuana, even tho' I've never smoked it and never will, and no to other 'recreational pharmaceuticals'.

I also say yes to Cannabinoids. The governmet spends millions of dollars in an attempt to regulate it, (and failing miserably..) and prisons everywhere are getting loaded up with people who moke it. That just doesn't fly with me..

Fact is, the government could make a ton of money with cannabis, whether it be hemp to use in the manufacture of hats, ropes, and bags, or legalizing it due to it's medical benefits. The only probelm with the legalization of it, is that the govn. will do the same thing they did to Tobacco, and make it really bad for you. Most people don't know this, but growing your own Tobaco, is a very good idea, as it is much more natural and doesn't contain the wierd chemicals.

As far as other drugs, meth, cocaine, opiates- I have to say no. None of those have anyy significant medical benefit, and therefore should remain illegal since they are far too dangerous to use responsibly.
    Last edited by Drosera; 17-Mar-2008 at 21:55.

Darkfinn

IMHO... if people want to rot their brains out... let them...

What goes on in a person's private home shouldn't matter... as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

Legalized drugs should be treated like alcohol. Don't get high and drive... don't be high in public... but if you want to smoke up or shoot up at home... noone should stop you.

Well for the currently illegal drugs, leaving aside cannabis for the moment, I think they should definitely remain illegal. I'm not going to go through every drug and complain about them, but on the whole they are illegal for a reason.

Cannabis is a bit weird, but I think it should remain illegal (as a class C drug in the UK). It's a dangerous drug, and it's not really healthy for people to use often. The way it is now, you can get hold of the drug (fairly) easily, if you get caught with it there's no real consequence, but it's still illegal so you can't just do it anywhere. Seems to work pretty well.
    You could argue that alcohol is as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than cannabis so maybe that should be illegal too. I think that both drugs can be used rightly and wrongly, but the thing is that alcohol kills a lot quicker (which is a good thing). I don't really care about people drinking themselves to death, because it doesn't cost me much (in taxes). Whereas cannabis can cause mental illness, which is harder to treat, and therefore more expensive to treat. It's probably fine in moderation, but people never get that so it's better if it's illegal.

Don't know anything about the American situation. But if you don't pay for other people's health care then I guess you wouldn't care about how people kill themselves.