Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bank of mum and dad.

Little ollie

Default Bank of mum and dad.

So how much do you owe to the bank of mum and dad?

Butterfly Mage

Not a red cent.

I love my mom, but she's never really had any money to give.

My dad is a millionaire but he never gave me a penny (although he gave my sister four cars and a Discover card that he paid down every month for five years).

I started working at age 14 since my dad was extravagant in giving himself things, but if I wanted food or clothes, I pretty much had to earn it myself. He tried to starve me to death between ages 10-12. I weighed 69 pounds when I was 12 years old.

I currently don't owe them anything, although as a gift to me they have decided to pay my accomodation at university, so I guess I currently owe them lots of good grades!

I've just paid off my laptop. I had intended to pay for it myself, by saving up, but my dad found a VERY good deal online and there was only a few left, so he agreed to pay it, if I paid him back by the end of the summer, which I've done

When I was living on my own, my parents also paid my deposit on my flat, which *was* technically a loan, although when I paid it back my parents said they hadn't been expecting it.

So, zilch right now

I'm presuming your not counting pocket money. Then the answer is:

None.

I get most of my money from Christmas birthdays. Plus I got €400 for a month's work this year.

In my lifetime? Probably way more than I could ever afford to pay back.

But, if they didn't spend it on me, what else would they spend it on? A boat? A vacation home in Hawaii? I think not.

I don't owe them anything that I know of but I'm going to give my dad $500 when I get the money to cover some of my new bike. He hasn't asked for me to pay but something that big I think I owe him alittle.

I'm not too proud to admit that my parents have paid for likely thousands of dollars for me when I've been down, out, and struggling for money.

I've always been raised with a very solid work ethic and an understanding of money responsibility. My parents never bought me a car because it was my responsibility to get a job to pay for it, to pay for insurance, and to pay for gas. I've always saved, bought what I wanted, and paid for my bills.

My mother and father are not loaded, but I've always been encouraged to ask if I ever needed help with anything. While it's not something I've ever taken advantage of, there have been times where it's happened, i.e., when bills were high and I had been laid off from my job in 2006, when my cat needed an emergency surgery, when my car crapped out on me and I had just gotten an entirely separate repair not a few weeks prior.

I hope that one day I can pay off these amazing courtesies. My father's V.A. benefits also pay for my college education, which I am endlessly grateful for. They're both getting older (my father is 78 and my mother is 64), so I do my best to return the love and help through other means -- I'm over there every weekend doing house maintenance, mowing the lawns, etcetera etcetera. Like I know I can always talk to them when I need help, they know too that they can always call me whenever they need something.

I'm very thankful for what my parents have done for me, and I hope one day, I can give my own children that security. There would be nothing I'd rather spend my money on.

In my family, we don't count money like that(Lol, micro-communist community almost :P), everyone just uses money as they desire, as long as they don't spend too much, or spend too often!

Quote Originally Posted by talula View Post
    I currently don't owe them anything, although as a gift to me they have decided to pay my accomodation at university, so I guess I currently owe them lots of good grades!

I've just paid off my laptop. I had intended to pay for it myself, by saving up, but my dad found a VERY good deal online and there was only a few left, so he agreed to pay it, if I paid him back by the end of the summer, which I've done

When I was living on my own, my parents also paid my deposit on my flat, which *was* technically a loan, although when I paid it back my parents said they hadn't been expecting it.

So, zilch right now
    This, really, is the best way to go. I'm glad to hear/see this, and everyone will be the better for your actions with respect to money.

Quote Originally Posted by Little ollie View Post
    So how much do you owe to the bank of mum and dad?
    Currently, $0.00.

Over the years, I've been helped out and have managed to pay everything back that was a "loan" and most things that were not.

I've got $2,000 in checks sitting in my filing cabinet, waiting for a use--like the "I don't want to live in a box" fund--that I'll repay my parents for.

I really, REALLY don't like to mix money and family or money and friends; hence my waiting until it's Box City for me to cash these checks from my parents.

Gotta run!

H.