Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help regarding employment...

Default Need help regarding employment...

I need ideas from this great community..

Alright right now I work at movie theater, unless i'm ushering i'm ussually not having fun doing it. My 90 day raise is about 60 days late. Working at the theater makes it like almost no fun to see movies in my theater, unless it was after I worked.

I enjoy acting, anime, trading card games, and a good amount of video games. Only comic book store in my town hires at 18. I don't want to work in a place where it's main selling point is the food (the theater may make more because of food, but you don't go for the food.)

I need to get atleast around $500 plus whatever insurance would be for a 17 year old male(not sure if I can get good grade discount, my school has no grades.)

Thanks for any help.

At your age it's kinda tough to get a job that doesn't involve food services, unless you want to work in a service station or a convienence store.

My best advice os to keep the job you have untill your a little older, keeping your job shows you will stick with it, no matter what to your next employer.

Don't give up your job in the hopes of getting another soon, the economy is tough and you are lucky to have a job at all.

Have you ever considered the health care feild, you can get into a hospital setting at a younger age and make that a life long well paying job, there is big money in health care more young guys and girls should go for it.

I just graduated and i'm still looking, Thank you George Bush, you've screwed the country over for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    At your age it's kinda tough to get a job that doesn't involve food services, unless you want to work in a service station or a convienence store.

My best advice os to keep the job you have untill your a little older, keeping your job shows you will stick with it, no matter what to your next employer.

Don't give up your job in the hopes of getting another soon, the economy is tough and you are lucky to have a job at all.

Have you ever considered the health care feild, you can get into a hospital setting at a younger age and make that a life long well paying job, there is big money in health care more young guys and girls should go for it.
    I'm not really into anything in the health field.... If I can't become an actor, i'm gonna either open my own anime store, or be a cop.

Maybe some kind of cashier thing if they can read or something when no customers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Alright right now I work at movie theater, unless i'm ushering i'm ussually not having fun doing it. My 90 day raise is about 60 days late. Working at the theater makes it like almost no fun to see movies in my theater, unless it was after I worked.
    Welcome to the real world.

If your raise is late, be courteous, but ask your boss or HR manager what the status of it is. Keep on top of it, and if you work for a movie theater chain, possibly contact your regional HR manager.

I enjoy acting, anime, trading card games, and a good amount of video games. Only comic book store in my town hires at 18.
    So you want the "teenager dream job"... Probably isn't going to happen. Be happy you're employed at all.

I need to get atleast around $500 plus whatever insurance would be for a 17 year old male
    Not need... Want. You need to work to get what you want, and I'd suggest your first step should be creating a resume and generic cover letter. After you do that, start pounding the pavement... Check Craigslist, all your local papers, and so on. Submit resumes to realistic jobs that might net you more money. It may not (probably won't) be the job of your dreams as you describe above, but you can probably find something that will make you more money, if you sell yourself properly.

You have to be confident, outspoken, friendly, and follow up on any possible job lead... No emailing out resumes at 1AM some night and expecting people to call you. You have to be the one to take initiative, and if you do, prospective employers will take notice, and you'll be bumped to the top of the list.

I was making $500 a week when I was 17, so it can be done.

my school has no grades.
    Scary.

Even if you have a job you hate, there's usually something you will like. I started out in food service and moved to retail. Both jobs weren't the greatest and there were points that I was ready to walk out and quit.

... on one occasion I did walk out and tell my supervisor to stop B------ at me

Anyway, find something small you like to do in the job. Usually makes it more interesting.

As it was said above, don't expect to get a dream job. Just get a job, save ... SAVE ... the money for when you go to college or start in the real world.

I could get my dream job right now if I wanted to. My dream job and my dream career are two very different industries.

Join the Army.

Meet interesting people; Kill them.

See strange places; Blow them up.

Go to your mall and apply at everything in there. Things like clothing shops, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    [...] my school has no grades.
    This scared the hell out of me, too. I hope that it implies home-schooling or another "non-traditional" program, but I'm not certain how the top student of that system gets differentiated from the bottom.

Employment sucks right now in this whole country; employees know it, so why should they do the "right" thing or even things that they've "promised?"

When there is no integrity in the system, it becomes a mad free-for-all money-grab, and you're the guy at the bottom of the heap with a boot-print mashed into his face.

Quote Originally Posted by NEJay View Post
    Welcome to the real world.

If your raise is late, be courteous, but ask your boss or HR manager what the status of it is. Keep on top of it, and if you work for a movie theater chain, possibly contact your regional HR manager.

So you want the "teenager dream job"... Probably isn't going to happen. Be happy you're employed at all.

Not need... Want. You need to work to get what you want, and I'd suggest your first step should be creating a resume and generic cover letter. After you do that, start pounding the pavement... Check Craigslist, all your local papers, and so on. Submit resumes to realistic jobs that might net you more money. It may not (probably won't) be the job of your dreams as you describe above, but you can probably find something that will make you more money, if you sell yourself properly.

You have to be confident, outspoken, friendly, and follow up on any possible job lead... No emailing out resumes at 1AM some night and expecting people to call you. You have to be the one to take initiative, and if you do, prospective employers will take notice, and you'll be bumped to the top of the list.

I was making $500 a week when I was 17, so it can be done.

Scary.
    I've been doing that he just keeps saying he will.

I just wanted something that I really wouldn't see as work. Even if I was like cashiering for a hobby store I'd be extremely happy.

Well need it if I want to get my own car soon.

What were you doing and how many hours ?

Oh yeah also guys its a private school. No uniforms though atleast.