Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Help/Information

Default PS3 Help/Information

Well, I've been considering buying a PS3 [used] lately. A few weeks ago, I was staying the night at my friend's house. He had a PS3, and up untill then, I had no real interest in getting one of them [mainly because they seemed like a fancy blu-ray player to me, and had nothing I really found all that special.] Well, he let me play FEAR 2 for it, and I was AMAZED. It has THE BEST graphics I have seen to date... That reaction doubled when I saw Uncharted... It was like a trip back to when I played Tomb Raider, but on HD steroids! I loved it. And Call of Duty 4 was pretty nice too... It looked good and was pretty fun. Plus, I like the whole idea of the controller being motion sensitive, though I didn't get to play anythng that really used it like the Wii does. =/ But, all in all, it looked pretty cool, and I kinda want one now. But, before I take a stroll down to the used games store to pick one of these bricks up, I have a few questions. First off, which model would be ideal to get? I mean, they've got the 20 GB, 60 GB, 80 GB, which one would be best? I mean, I know full well how much a gigabyte is and what the numbers mean, but how much space do you need and for what? Is it like the Xbox 360, where, I've found, you really only need a 20 GB hard drive if you don't download everything you can? Second, does hard drive space matter? I mean, can you replace the hard drive with a standard PC hard drive? I would like to mod this with a bigger hard drive I have lying around if possible [160 GB SATA 2.5" hard drive from an old laptop]. Would I be able to do this, and does anyone know how if so? Also. Anyone have anything to say as to durability? It seems like quite the beast of a brick, so it should, in theory, be quite solid. But what about the Blu-ray drive they've crammed in it? Any help with this would be most awesome.

Well i can't answer all the questions,but i just got mine 80g and i love it. This is my first game player. the best thing is the HD is great.i play mine on a 46" LCD.the on line play is great. im not the best on gaming yet but ill give it time. the place i went to check info on the ps3 was a web pg called Playstation secrets. take a look. i hope this helps.

Fear 2 and COD4 are both on the PC both also look and preform better on the PC. The major downfall of either the 360 or PS3 is that their video cards are two generations old now IRC and they can't be upgraded at all.

So if your getting a PS3 just for those I would recommend looking into PC gaming and it doesn't cost nearly as much as everyone makes it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Fear 2 and COD4 are both on the PC both also look and preform better on the PC. The major downfall of either the 360 or PS3 is that their video cards are two generations old now IRC and they can't be upgraded at all.

So if your getting a PS3 just for those I would recommend looking into PC gaming and it doesn't cost nearly as much as everyone makes it out to be.
    No no no. PC gaming is cheaper or better. You can't have both. I could buy a PC for €300. Yes, it's a €100 cheaper than the PS3. Will it play games better? No. It will probably have about 2 GB or RAM, and some crappy Intel graphics card. Which will struggle to play COD4 at the low settings, never mind at the PS3-beating ones.

Alternatively, I could spend a €1000 on a PC. Will that be better than a PS3? Yes. But at 2.5x the cost, it's down the individual if that's the router you are looking for.

First off, which model would be ideal to get? I mean, they've got the 20 GB, 60 GB, 80 GB, which one would be best?
    =======================
    To answer that. there are a few things you should know first. the 20GB and 60GB has been dicontiunced for a LONG time.

all there is is the 80GB ATM and later this month a 120GB will be released.

If you want backwards compatability then your outa luck. None of them have it anymore. Unless you buy used or referbushed

But if you want the ps3 for the ps3. Then the size of your HDD really only matters. The size you get should depened on how much download content you plan to buy and how many PS Marketplace games you want to buy.

==================

As for modding a PS3 with a bigger hard drive...

How to upgrade your PlayStation 3 hard drive - Features at GameSpot

there ya go.

If your planning on modding in the first place. just get the 80GB and mod it.

Well...
    First off, if you want THE best graphics you can get, go PC, only drawback is that to get any PC that can compete with the PS3 you are looking at spending $1200+ and bearing in mind that PS3 is only going to get better, eg. MW2 will only use 6 (or was it 5, anyway...) of the 8 processors that the PS3 has. Even to play say CoD 5 on moderate settings, you are going to be spending in upwards of $550.

So we can rule PC out, if you want alright graphics for a good price go the 360, bearing in mind it's limit was reached by Forza 2 (no arguing Microsoft themselves even said this is as good as it's going to get). No doubt the 360 is a good console, but for best bang for buck PS3 wins. Everytime, and the mass of features it has is just amazing, it's not just a console it's a media centre (watch films in AVI, MP4 ect, play music, view pictures and my favorite...Connect to your laptop/PC's connected to your home network through your router), blu ray player and PC as you can run a secondary OS on it (would love to put Vista on one and click on 'welcome centre' to drool over the specs)

But the first point in choosing what one to go for is do you want backwards compatability with PS1 or PS2 games, if so then you are narrowed down to the 60GB version (which is why you'll find it priced higher than the other models). Second point is what do you want on it if it's just running games and the odd music track then go the 40GB, bear in mind that you have to install the games (so that menu's and games load faster) and that will take up ~2GB for each game and after formatting the HDD you're left with just under 30GB, also there are many app's eg. playstation home, which is like the sims, you can build your own house ect, but also 'walk around' the place and meet and talk to other users who're walking around and that takes up 4GB. Map packs take up ~650 - 800MB, game demo's take up 750MB - 1.5GB. But that said, it depends on how much of a difference in price there is between 40GB and 80GB, as you can put a 2.5'' SATA drive in (I got a 250GB drive for 40) so bear that in mind, as there is very little difference between the two. Though which ever one you buy you will not be disappointed as it is a fantastic console (and I'm going to be shouted at by others for saying this) at a very cheap price as everything it does it just fantastic. Anything else you wish to know PM me, leave a comment on my profile, I'm on the IRC pretty much all the time, and my various other contact details (MSN, AIM, Yahoo & Skype) are on my profile.

Wow - this is the longest post I've ever made ^_^

Mmmmmmk! Well this is what I would do... the price just dropped so I hoped you have not got one yet...if you do i would take it back for a price change. Also you can wait for the slim model as well which is released in september. (I think).

The only disadvantage of the slim one is that you can't put linux on it... but most people don't care. Other than that the slim has all the advantages of the regular... including the 100 dollar price drop.

For your other question you can most definitely upgrade your ps3 hardrive... I would just go with the regular 80gb... and switch it out with a 320gb hardrive.

You can get that hardrive from newegg for like 60 bucks. I know I paid fifty dollars when I did it but they were having a sell.

But as you said you can upgrade for whatever size hardrive you like.

Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    No no no. PC gaming is cheaper or better. You can't have both. I could buy a PC for 300. Yes, it's a 100 cheaper than the PS3. Will it play games better? No. It will probably have about 2 GB or RAM, and some crappy Intel graphics card. Which will struggle to play COD4 at the low settings, never mind at the PS3-beating ones.

Alternatively, I could spend a 1000 on a PC. Will that be better than a PS3? Yes. But at 2.5x the cost, it's down the individual if that's the router you are looking for.
    When did I say PC gaming was cheaper then a PS3?

Anyways you don't have to buy a pre-built PC. There are websites you can order every single part you need from for about 10-25% less then you would pay for a Sony or HP.

I'd say wait for the Slim which will be $300 for 120gb(I want to get one of those myself hehe, LittleBigPlanet ftw)

If you want want one that is backward compatible with ps2 games you want the 80gig with they don't make anymore