Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming

Default Programming

So, anyone like programming? If so, what flavour? C++, VB, Java, C#, Haskell?

If you like programming, what kind of projects are you working on? Are you interested in doing a group project? Any areas of study you want to educate yourself in?

Personally, I like C++ and I'm currently trying to write my own programming language. It's very hard, but that's partly because I'm very picky about how it's structured. I also enjoy studying graphics, metaprogramming and physics.

Sure, I program all the time. (Actually, I happen to hold a CS degree). Personally I tend to use C, C++, and Python, though have worked with a number of others.

If you're looking to create your own language I'd recommend reading the Dragon Book.

Learning Java and Python right now.

Defining objects and classes in Java is a b!tch.

Yes, I'd agree. I've had to use Java a number of times, and really I find it kind of clunky. But, Python rocks. If you have the choice, use python .

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Yes, I'd agree. I've had to use Java a number of times, and really I find it kind of clunky. But, Python rocks. If you have the choice, use python .
    Python is a side project, im learning Java for computer science at school.

I do some little programming sometimes... most of it in VB (sometimes even QuickBasic lol!), if you count in webprogramming, I also do PHP and CSS

Yep, I do quite a bit now especially. Atom Basic...

But also a lot of other stuff. (VB, PHP, Ti-Basic, bit of JScript/JavaScript)

And I'm busy with a project of my own right now.

Well I've always wanted to do a bit of programming, but I've never really got round to it. I did try some javascript once, but I never put much effort into learning it and forgot most of it.

Some of the universities I wanna go to let you do modules from other subjects in the first and second years, so I might do that a study computer science for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Sure, I program all the time. (Actually, I happen to hold a CS degree). Personally I tend to use C, C++, and Python, though have worked with a number of others.

If you're looking to create your own language I'd recommend reading the Dragon Book.
    Cool, I'm downloading a copy of it now. The second edition, that is.

Now I don't have a CS degree, and likely won't get one, but I do hope to give myself an equivalent education.

I know C/C++, and some perl... I need to learn java at some point. Also would like to learn python.