Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Messed Up

Default Graphics Messed Up

I think I'm having trouble with my embedded graphics. Very few of my games run correctly and even then the ones that work have messed up colors. Even Starcraft won't run right anymore because when I play it for more than a minute the colors go all yellow and white! I think it has something to do with the driver not being up to date, but I don't know how to find which driver I need. One website suggested I go to the display properties, but it didn't say anything about the graphics.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/Cabbageman3X/DisplayTab.jpg

Also, Halo told me I should run DXDIAG. So I did. I dunno what a lot of the stuff meant but I took a screenshot of the display tab again.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/Cabbageman3X/DXDIAG.jpg

Do I just need the drivers? Or is it something else? How do I find the drivers?

DannyTheNinja

If you're on a desktop computer, try upgrading your graphics card. It looks like right now you're using the standard Microsoft VGA driver - not even one provided by the manufacturer of your chipset. That could be a hardware conflict you're looking at.

Right click My Computer and hit Manage, then hit Device Manager in the left pane of that window and paste a screenshot of it. Look specifically for a device with a black exclamation point overlaying a yellow circle.

--Danny

Go to Windows Update. Download all hardware updates.

usually when I do a fresh installation of Windows on a machine, Windows Update saves me trouble of looking for drivers, they have most if not all of them.

www.windowsupdate.com

From those screenshots you showed us, you aren't using you're chipset's driver. You are simply using the standard (very basic) one that Microsoft Windows supplies.

If that doesn't work, then tell us your specs of your PC. If you are running on an integrated chipset (which you said you we're running on embedded graphics), tell us your chipset so we can locate the proper drivers for you!

Also be sure to update those drivers that still aren't installed (those yellow circles indicate this). It's never good to use a system without all the properly installed hardware, at least over a period of time.

PS: The SMBus controller, Ethernet, and Graphics (all the things that aren't installed -- the yellow circles) are all integrated to the motherboard, correct? If windows update doesn't give you the hardware drivers, then tell us the specs of your PC, or even just the model if you don't know them, we can find one chipset driver that will take care of all those missing drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    Go to Windows Update. Download all hardware updates.
    My friend suggested that. It says there aren't any major updates. :\

Usually when I do a fresh installation of Windows on a machine, Windows Update saves me trouble of looking for drivers, they have most if not all of them.
    As the picture I posted shows, it can't find them for some reason. I was never given a CD with the computer.

From those screenshots you showed us, you aren't using you're chipset's driver. You are simply using the standard (very basic) one that Microsoft Windows supplies.
    Can you explain this a little more?

If that doesn't work, then tell us your specs of your PC. If you are running on an integrated chipset (which you said you we're running on embedded graphics), tell us your chipset so we can locate the proper drivers for you!
    Chipset?

PS: The SMBus controller, Ethernet, and Graphics (all the things that aren't installed -- the yellow circles) are all integrated to the motherboard, correct? If windows update doesn't give you the hardware drivers, then tell us the specs of your PC, or even just the model if you don't know them, we can find one chipset driver that will take care of all those missing drivers.
    Is this what you're talking about?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e207/Cabbageman3X/looloo.jpg

Meh, I suck at this stuff, but you can try to go on your graphics card's website and download the most recent update, it worked with me when my graphics were f*cked up.

Nope! Let me break it down a tad more for ya.

In windows update, did you press Express or Custom update? Choose custom, if not. (btw, Windows Update will only work with Internet Explorer, for future reference)

Windows is using Microsoft's standard display driver to display the operating system to your screen. Meaning, microsoft's very basic driver basically is just there so you can see your way around, nothing more. You need to use the driver that your computer's manufacturer designed for the chipset (meaning, your motherboard's various integrated items)

I chose both, but custom wasn't very helpful either. Do you need any more information about my computer? Tell me where to find it and I'll post it. Thanks for the help!

Okay, so windows update didn't work.

Tell me some details about your computer, firstly, the make and model of your machine.

Then, click here.

Extract that zip, then run CPU-Z.exe. Make sure all the files that were in the ZIP are in the same folder as CPU-Z. Then, when it is done loading, go to the last tab of CPU-Z.

There should be a button that says ".htm dump". Click that, and the file that it makes, upload here so that we can take a look at it.