Thread: Huge Flaw Found in windows 7(possible release delay)

Default Huge Flaw Found in windows 7(possible release delay)

The bug is a biggie, a "massive memory leak" contained in the CHKDSK utility, which is used to verify the consistency and integrity of hard drives. Apparently, if CHKDSK is run against a secondary hard drive with a certain setting turned on, it causes Windows to gobble up all available memory, slowing the computer to an unusable crawl and potentially, eventually crashing the machine. Independent testers have verified the problem under a variety of scenarios, noting even that if the CHKDSK operation is canceled, the problem continues to get worse until the machine is rebooted.
    Full article at:
    "Fatal flaw" in Windows 7 raising eyebrows : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Anyone else see this coming?

There's always problems with all OS systems. Even Mac's can/do crash.

Though I haven't had a PC crash in sometime, and I am on XP.

Butterfly Mage

hmm.... my Win7 beta doesn't even seem to have chkdsk installed. Maybe it's hiding?

Um sounds like normal check-disk to me. I'm sure it has a tendancy to run away, so it may not be as much of a memory leak as it is a runaway program (probably both). This is why we do beta testing, so we don't have another windows ME (money edition), or another windows vista.

I just hope there aren't anymore laptops produced that cannot use more than one OS like many vista laptops with 2-3 gigs of ram HAH. They can't support XP or any server OS and don't play well with 7 and other drivers. Roomate has an HP media laptop with 80% hacked drivers and windows 7 because vista slowed it down and the mobo doesn't support older software (what? like that makes sense).

I just wish that they would quit putting out like 6 versions of the same operating system, home and business was enough and let the server OS's be on their own.

This comment made by another user described my thoughts exactly.

"Who deemed this a critical flaw? So if I happen to be running CHKDSK (unlikely for 95% of users who have no idea what that is) on a secondary drive (another 4% or so gone) with a certain setting checked (brings us down to about 0.1%) then there is a chance that my system will crash? People need to stop clawing for headlines."
    When's the last time you've run CHKDSK D: [In this situation, D is your second non-removable hard drive] /X or /V ? Seriously... I'm not looking forward to Windows 7, and don't plan on rushing out to get it, but even if I were, I really don't see the big deal in one bug like this. If you're connected to the internet, and not using the soon-to-exist cracked version of 7 [unless they find a workaround for that too, like they (crack groups) did XP], you can use WU to fix it, and if you're not connected to the internet, there's no possibility/EXTREMELY minimal possibility this can be exploited, thus it doesn't matter. Either way, small bug, small fix, in my opinion.

Look at it this way, if you must: "At least it's not Vista."

Oooh... another memory leak.. how fun....

Windows 7 needs a diaper

Quote Originally Posted by adaffme149 View Post
    This comment made by another user described my thoughts exactly.

When's the last time you've run CHKDSK D: [In this situation, D is your second non-removable hard drive] /X or /V ? Seriously... I'm not looking forward to Windows 7, and don't plan on rushing out to get it, but even if I were, I really don't see the big deal in one bug like this. If you're connected to the internet, and not using the soon-to-exist cracked version of 7 [unless they find a workaround for that too, like they (crack groups) did XP], you can use WU to fix it, and if you're not connected to the internet, there's no possibility/EXTREMELY minimal possibility this can be exploited, thus it doesn't matter. Either way, small bug, small fix, in my opinion.

Look at it this way, if you must: "At least it's not Vista."
    Windows 7 was cracked a bit ago, you can find the article if you google it. though the crack they have now is impractical for the normal user.

I'm still under free test on 7100 until July next year so I don't have to worry about a cracked version... Yet. Depends on how many games are supported by Linux-based OSs (which shown to be very few that either work with ubuntu or on the wINE emulator on it) by then

as for the memory leak, I haven't noticed that, but it's usually advisable to restart your computer every once in a while anyway, especially if you play a lot of video games.