Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adulthood

Default Adulthood

Adulthood How I hate it. It is a sudden change in one's life. Brought on by events that you can never forget. No matter how hard we try the changes happen. They effect our personality, or interests, and the things we hold dearest. The closer we get to it the more we realize how we missed out on all the things we wanted to do. We took our childhood for granted and now our innocence has been tainted. Even though we may try we can never get it back!

So what age did you start to notice that you were proceeding through adulthood and childhood was leaving you And the evils of adulthood close in on you? What event caused this? What regrets do you have of stuff you did not do when you were younger?

dude, adulthood doesn't have to mean all that. you don't have to change in any ways that you don't want to change; it's not like you're going to suddenly stop being the person you've always been and become someone else. you're not going to lose the parts of your personality you most value; you get to choose how you grow and mature.

adulthood can be really awesome. the more responsibility to take, the more you have the freedom to choose how you want your life to go. from this point on, you can do pretty much whatever you want to! you can become a cliff diver, or move to japan, or run away with the circus. you certainly don't have to be all sober and mature all the time.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    dude, adulthood doesn't have to mean all that. you don't have to change in any ways that you don't want to change; it's not like you're going to suddenly stop being the person you've always been and become someone else. you're not going to lose the parts of your personality you most value; you get to choose how you grow and mature.

adulthood can be really awesome. the more responsibility to take, the more you have the freedom to choose how you want your life to go. from this point on, you can do pretty much whatever you want to! you can become a cliff diver, or move to japan, or run away with the circus. you certainly don't have to be all sober and mature all the time.
    Avery does have a point; being an adult can be a blast (I cannot truly attest to this, I'm not an adult yet...). I do, however, understand where Valerye is going here, in which case there are some things that happen in your life that really change you and force you to have to "grow up" persay. It isn't necessarily about being a grown up, but it is about growing up and having to leave childhood...

Here's an example:

On April 7th, 2006, when I was 14, at around the end of the 8th grade, my friend Alika killed herself while her parents were away on vacation in the Bahamas. I found out from her mom, when she had finally gotten home. When we found out... you know what? I can't put that into words. No way I can. Some things are just better left unsaid, because there is no way I can ever describe how we all felt that day...

It wasn't then that I realized I was an adult, but it WAS then that realized that my childhood had ceased to exist. It was an end of innocence for me, and her funeral sealed it for me. It was that event that truly changed me more than anything else. I fixed myself up (I was hanging out with the wrong crowd, and her death made me realize that), and I just changed from there.

The death of those you love is a big part of growing up; however sad and horrible it might be, it is always there, and everyone will, at some time in their lives, have to deal with that. It did, however, make me realize how thankful I am for having life, for having those memories, for being able to remember the fun you used to have.

To remember, to cherish, to believe. These glories of life are sometimes all we have to work with. Death can sometimes make you realize that.

The only thing I wished that I had done when I was still..."ignorant"... to those "adult" manners was that I had enjoyed myself more and that I hadn't wasted my time doing petty things and what not. But that's it though; I try not to regret too many things nowadays...

Asher

I was 15 when I started hearing "You are almost adults" and I realized your childhood ended at 18, not at 21.

You guys know how old I am, and I haven't reached adult status, yet in my mind, I still consider myself a teenager, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Yes I have obligations, and I makes sure all of those are taken care of, but inside I'm still the preson I was way back when.

There is always time to be the person you used to be, it's you that has to make it for yourself.

Well, I cannot quite attest to the full adult experience, but I have begun to encounter similar feelings.

This past year (and especially this summer) have been a pivotal point in my life.

I've begun to understand the meaning of the "freedom" claimed by adults.

The realization that YOU and only YOU are in control of your life decisions is a huge responsibility...and ultimately you are alone to suffer or benefit from the consequences of your decisions. (I would consider decisions affecting others as part of this--whether one suffers or benefits...but it always comes back around to YOU)

It really was a huge realization for me (hit me like a ton of bricks during dinner several months ago), especially with regards to financial independence once I leave the home. Your parents are not always going to be there to help you, and most often you will be alone to figure things out.

However, it is not so bad. Being allowed to explore and grow on your own is a wonderfully enlightening experience--not to mention making your own money. I know there will always be ups and downs, but I remember that the general direction is always upward (unless, of course, you become addicted to drugs or worse; the direction is probably generally downward).

I really look forward to moving out in the fall and beginning my career path.

And you know what else I realized?

I am a bachelor.

High school no longer stands as a barrier between myself and the rest of the world. At some point, we all look like adults, and everybody has the potential to become a friend...or a partner!

I know I am a legal adult and I try to act like one, hell I tried to act like one for sometime. But there's been a few cases where people finally see that being a adult, doesn't make you one. Adult's don't know what the hell is going on all of the time just like kids don't. I don't think adult's are kids but we surely aren't adults by children standards where everything just clicks and we know what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I know I am a legal adult and I try to act like one, hell I tried to act like one for sometime. But there's been a few cases where people finally see that being a adult, doesn't make you one. Adult's don't know what the hell is going on all of the time just like kids don't. I don't think adult's are kids but we surely aren't adults by children standards where everything just clicks and we know what's what.
    bingo. no one actually "feels" like an adult, the way kids imagine that adults feel, totally in control all the time. we're all confused and bewildered in our own ways. that's what being an adult is all about. no human being is perfect, but we blunder through as best we can and hopefully we have a good time doing it.

"it's never too late to have a happy childhood." i think the only people who can say their childhoods are truly gone are the people who have lost the humility to grow and change and mature. if you ever come to a moment in life when you feel like you've fully "arrived" at adulthood, you know it's time to take a good hard look back down the path you rode in on, and figure out which exit all that joy and wonder and innocence took.

I'm still trying to find out what qualifies someone as an "adult".

In the last two years I've gone from a carefree, single college student who could disappear for days without anyone noticing, to a married, overly stressed engineer with two car payments and a mortgage. I am still trying to get it all figured out, and I don't see any end to that in sight. I don't think I will ever fully "grow up", as I have no desire to. I still love toys (unfortunately they get much more expensive the older I get,) and I still love to just let it all go sometimes and try to feel a little of the freedom and innocence of childhood. The biggest difference now is the expectations of me. I can no longer disappear on long road trips, take off on several day solo hiking trips, or get lost in my own room in between the covers of a good book without someone needing or expecting something from me. Enjoy yourself every day. Make it a rule to live by, as we are not guaranteed another one.

Being an adult is a never ending job for the most part, when you were a kid you always saw the light at the end of the tunnel, the end of grade school, and high school, and for some higher education.

Being an adult there is no light, just the tunnel and you will be in it for a very long time, it never ends, you just have bills, taxes, and worries untill your dead.