View Poll Results: Which is the best TV programme of the decade?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 24

    1 2.94%
  • Arrested Development

    0 0%
  • Band of Brothers

    1 2.94%
  • Battlestar Galactica

    1 2.94%
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

    2 5.88%
  • Doctor Who

    7 20.59%
  • Firefly

    1 2.94%
  • House

    5 14.71%
  • Life on Mars

    0 0%
  • Lost

    4 11.76%
  • Peep Show

    0 0%
  • QI

    0 0%
  • Six Feet Under

    0 0%
  • Spaced

    0 0%
  • The Office

    1 2.94%
  • The Sopranos

    1 2.94%
  • The Thick of it

    0 0%
  • The West Wing

    2 5.88%
  • The Wire

    2 5.88%
  • Top Gear

    6 17.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Television programme of the decade?

  1. #1

    Default Television programme of the decade?

    I saw this poll in the Guardian yesterday and it seemed like the kind of thing people could get their teeth into, so what do you reckon?

    For me the answer is definitely The Wire. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should stop reading this and go and do so now. Really. Off you go now. It's just brilliant; like modern Shakespeare with epic, arcing tragedies, fantastically realised and developed characters and far more insight and intelligence than you can reasonably expect from your television.

    I do also bloody love Doctor Who though. It's the complete opposite of The Wire in that it's pure escapism, but it's glorious escapism and at its best represents genuinely atmospheric and affecting adventure. Honourabe mentions go to Arrested Development, one of the very best comedies of modern times, and The West Wing. I still haven't gotten round to watching Battlestar Galactica about which I've heard so many good things.

    (I'll make a poll of the twenty highest scoring programmes from the Guardian list as that's the limit here)

  2. #2

    Default

    I voted Top Gear.

    Doctor Who is getting better now. I like the story arcs in Doctor Who, theres always a hidden message somewhere in each Episode.

    QI is another good one too. But at the moment it's just repeats.
    Yay for Alan Davis!

  3. #3

    Default

    Oh you Nazi!!! TG or 24?????? And you missed Generation Kill out (you know - FROM THE CREATORS OF The Wire!!!!) >:[

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default

    While it's not there, I'm going to say John Adams, but I'm going to vote House as my second favorite! The writing on House is genius -- the styles of characters that they manage to develop through irrational means (seriously, how can you like House? I don't know, but you DO), and the breadcrumbing of the plot keeps someone watching week after week!

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm not sure we're getting Dr. Who in the U. S. anymore. It used to come on SyFy. I'll have to go look on the BBC channel for it.

    My favorite of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've read reviews written by college professors who teach film at the university level, and they typically site Buffy as the best t.v. series. Like any good show, it deals with far more than what one sees on the surface. The most profound show for me was when Buffy lost her mother, and how they dealt with the death of a loved one. For me, it was very realistic, having lost both my parents. Sitting in the hospital, or where ever one hears the news, having it finally settle in, the reality of the loss, and the deep sorrow; it was all in that show.

  7. #7

  8. #8

    Default

    After hearing Charlie Brooker rave about it, I've started watching The Wire, but I'm only two episodes in at the moment.

    I love Lost, Peep Show, and QI, but I guess The Office is the best.

    I hear great things about Six Feet Under, but haven't seen that.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ajsco View Post
    Oh you Nazi!!! TG or 24?????? And you missed Generation Kill out (you know - FROM THE CREATORS OF The Wire!!!!) >:[
    Hey, blame those wishy-washy liberal types at the Guardian. They chose the list, not me.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    While it's not there, I'm going to say John Adams
    That's another one that needs to be on my list to watch. It seems to be a general rule that if it's made by HBO it's worth watching.



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm not sure we're getting Dr. Who in the U. S. anymore. It used to come on SyFy. I'll have to go look on the BBC channel for it.

    My favorite of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've read reviews written by college professors who teach film at the university level, and they typically site Buffy as the best t.v. series. Like any good show, it deals with far more than what one sees on the surface. The most profound show for me was when Buffy lost her mother, and how they dealt with the death of a loved one. For me, it was very realistic, having lost both my parents. Sitting in the hospital, or where ever one hears the news, having it finally settle in, the reality of the loss, and the deep sorrow; it was all in that show.
    I think the new Doctor Who is on BBC America theses days. The show was re-launched in 2005 after a long absence and is very different from the old stuff you might remember, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. The production, scripting and acting have come a very long way and episodes like Blink are about as good as Saturday night telly can get.

    As for Buffy, my sister and I used to watch it religiously and it is genuinely very good and a lot more impactful and intelligent that many will presume. The episode where Joyce dies is extremely powerful as you say, and there are some other really inventive and interesting episodes like Hush, which is almost entirely silent, and the musical, which is great fun.



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    After hearing Charlie Brooker rave about it, I've started watching The Wire, but I'm only two episodes in at the moment.
    You'll love it. Charlie Brooker is never wrong.

  10. #10

    Default

    That's a very hard call to make but I picked "Lost". Lost is more entertaining then most movies I ever seen and it's free, well in some regards. There are a few bad episodes such as Fire + Water from season 2, especially because there's a scene where all of Drive Shaft is wearing diapers in a big playpen for a commercial. But mainly because there's no progression in the episode, all they do is take a step backwards.

    Anyways I am not shocked that a BBC program has a overwhelming lead since it's a British paper, I just wish it was Doctor Who and not Top Gear.

Similar Threads

  1. Large television outside of gas station.
    By Boogeyman in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2009, 06:32
  2. Name of internal television parts
    By Pojo in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2008, 16:50
  3. Childhood Television Memories
    By Jaiden in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2008, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.