Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptops ???

What kind of laptops are out there online or in stores what would be the best media laptop
    i am thinking about getting a dell laptop

but if there is anything else out there tell me please

Dang it could you mods move this to computers and games please
    Last edited by Trevor; 28-Jul-2009 at 21:47. Reason: merging posts

It depends on what you're going to do with it. If you just need a laptop, any laptop, then check out government surplus auctions. Craigslist isn't usually worth it, and neither is ebay - they're either scams or priced more than the laptop is worth, but sometimes you'll get lucky.

If you can't or don't want to get a used one, the netbook laptops are good. Those are the ultra-portable units like the Asus EEE and the Acer Aspire. They might not work for you, but like I said - it depends on what you want to do. If it's your primary computer, then you want something with more balls. But if you're like me and sometimes just need to take a laptop with you on the road or something and normally use a much more powerful desktop system, then a low-cost, low-power unit might be the way to go.

Another thing to keep in mind is the weight. I lugged a laptop with me when I was in university, and while it was invaluable, it was a heavy bastard to lug around. Big screen + big battery = heavy laptop, sadly.

Well it depends on what your budget is, also what size screen you want as it is a major contribitary factor in weight.
    For a media laptop I would recommend a 2+GHz processor, also with 4GB RAM, a mid level graphics card and a 320GB HDD.
    In America on the Studio 17, I would imagine that would cost about $900-$1000. I would also recommend taking out the 3 year warranty, which really is watertight.

Darkfinn

If you want a new computer... wait until the holidays. Specifically "Online Monday"... the Monday following "Black Friday". Buying then can save you a ton of money.

I purchased my new Compaq laptop on Online Monday last year... had it custom built and shipped to my door... they knocked $300 off of the price, and gave me free shipping. An $800 laptop was delivered to my door for $500.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    It depends on what you're going to do with it. If you just need a laptop, any laptop, then check out government surplus auctions. Craigslist isn't usually worth it, and neither is ebay - they're either scams or priced more than the laptop is worth, but sometimes you'll get lucky.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there, eBay if used correctly is one of the best places to find good deals on laptops. I got my laptop im currently posting on that retailed for $1100 at the time for $400.(make an offer ftw)

Oh, and try Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM), they do a deal a day and you could catch a good deal on a decent refurbed/new laptop.

Darkfinn

A piece of advice... don't buy refurbed or used laptops... they always break.

I learned that the hard way... went through two reburbed laptops in two years before deciding to buy my new one. Lots of money wasted.

well i don't know how much my dad is looking to spend on a laptop and if i will be able to get one online i am just trying to get ideas of what i should and shouldn't be looking for and idea with the specs

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    One thing... Do not get a compaq!

i wasnt thinking about getting a compaq or a mac XD

Darkfinn

What's wrong with a Compaq? Same thing as HP... they're owned by the same company... mine works great.