Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does sticking the tapes on wrong just ruin it for you?

Default Does sticking the tapes on wrong just ruin it for you?

Diaper aesthetics:

Is it sort of a bummer when putting on a Molicare or Abena, and you get the front of the diaper too much to one side, or the tapes on one side higher than the other? Then it doesn't fit right, feel right, or look right. It's like all of the satisfaction you were expecting is just ruined. You feel disappointed, like you just wasted one.

I'm sure some people don't really worry about these things. Regardless of comfort, or having things symmetrical and nifty looking, they still perform their intended function. As long as they don't leak, it's all good. It doesn't matter how they look.

It sucks that you can't re-position the little tape-landers without ripping the plastic, and if you pull the tapes off of their little landing strips to put them elsewhere, they always end up with the non-adhesive section of the little landing strip in the middle of the tape so it won't stick very well.

sometimes that happens to me but as long as it somewhat centered and tight, i use abena extra's with the blue tapes i can retape them if needed, i have only had to do that a few times but most of the time i can get it centered and set. i been diapering myself for the last 9 years by myself so i can for the most part get it right on the first time

Elli

In a not quite as extreme way, I very much relate. I've inadvertently trained myself out of being so attentive to the detail because it was a nuisance to be disappointed about the aesthetics or to take ages over putting it on very carefully (and then not always getting it 'right'). So I'm more easy-going about it now, but I still feel more pleased when it's a good symmetrical, not-wrinkled-up fit.

I have Kendall Lille and 'Tender' brand, but these have those tapes you describe. When I re-fit the nappy, I try to match the tapes back up with the blue landing strip, but yeah, sometimes I stick it just a little too further on and it sticks to that non-adhesive bit and then it looks less stuck even though it is sticking perfectly well!

My other habit is when placing the side panels from the back, over the front sides and taping it, I am a bit fussy about getting the front side panels not wrinkled up. I tape the lower ones, then pull this part straight, then tape the top ones. I've never worked out whether that makes a difference to the performance, but it avoids having the front sides at a steep angle and getting a big triangle shape flap sticking out the top. A big triangle shape flap would annoy me very much!! Hehehe.

I don't really care how they look. As long as they are keeping me snug/secure, then I'm happy.

The tapes never stick good enough for me they always pop, so I use a peice of duct tape over the top of the tapes, it dosen't matter to me what it looks like as long as it dosen't leak.

I think diapers are mainly made for people who don't do much, or I'm way to active when wearing them.

Nope. "Cloth-like." Velcro works very nicely. It's pretty much impossible to ruin that. I mean, you can re-adjust 2,389,384,938,574,304,938 times, but that's about it.

Though I suppose if I were anything plastic backed, it would completely ruin it. I mean. It has to fit, right?

This is why I tend to form and "prefit" the diaper before ever exposing the sticky. With Molicares especially I find they only tend to fit right in just one particular way. Back up against a wall with the diaper held to the wall and get everything positioned just right, get all the creases and the padding bent the way you like it and then start taping. It also helps to stick with what you know. With a Molicare I can visually put the tape right where it needs to go because I am every used to them, but when I find a new brand there is always a period of experimentation to get them just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon E. Mouse View Post
    Nope. "Cloth-like." Velcro works very nicely. It's pretty much impossible to ruin that. I mean, you can re-adjust 2,389,384,938,574,304,938 times, but that's about it.

Though I suppose if I were anything plastic backed, it would completely ruin it. I mean. It has to fit, right?
    Right. If it doesn't fit, then it might leak. AFAIK, ATN, Molicare, and Abena are the only ones in the US that are like that.

I second that on the Velcro. Cloth covered aren't my favorite, but Tenas sold in the US do fit nicely, and are easy to put on.

that's true, i got some cloth that i wear here and there, the bambinos are the best one i have found for resticking tapes since it's got that wide tape zone.

Elli

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    This is why I tend to form and "prefit" the diaper before ever exposing the sticky...Back up against a wall with the diaper held to the wall and get everything positioned just right, get all the creases and the padding bent the way you like it and then start taping...
    Yup. Same here. Position just so, get the tension right, line it up, pull it straight...then tape. That exposed sticky tab is the point of no return!!

That is what I love about double sided tape though. It gives you just another little chance if all else fails. Duct tape works well but double-sided re-stickies the actual tape so it looks the same. And you can keep the backing on it until you're ready.