Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna need back surgery, AGAIN, #$%^%#@#%^!!!!!

Default I'm gonna need back surgery, AGAIN, #$%^%#@#%^!!!!!

Yes, this will be my 5th one too. I went to see my doctor on Monday, to get the results of the CT scan I had done about a month ago, and got hit with the bad news. I've got another fracture of a previous fusion in my lower back this time. The last one was in my neck, and I just had surgery to fix it in March.

He told me that it wasn't going to cause me to become paralyzed or anything soon, and that the surgery time would be up to me. But since I have some plans for early next year already, I'm going to shoot for a surgery date around September or October, so I'm healed enough to go on these trips I've got planned next year.

But isn't this wonderful news?!!!! NOT!!!!

If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. The only good thing that he told me was that I wouldn't need to have the same 14 1/2 inch long incision up the middle of my back this time like the last lower back operation. That one just about killed me.................I'm so tired of this.

But, another thing that could be good about this is that he might be able to fix the bend in my back so I can stand up straight again, and that would be fantastic! I could probably be able to walk without my cane finally. YAY!!!!!

So wish me luck, and pray for me, I need all the help I can get, and thanks for the support.

Rick

Sorry to hear it, buddy. That's never good to hear, but at least it sounds like things are looking up a little if you'll (hopefully) be able to ditch the cane in the not-so-distant future. Good luck and here's hoping that this 5th one is the last one you'll need.

I wish you luck in your surgery and healing process. I know they say once you have back surgery you will be having it for the rest of your life. But i hope this is not the case with you.

I wish you a safe surgery and a fast recovery.

^_^

Mesmerale

Yay, walking!!

But... Will you keep the cane anyway? Please? I like imagining you as House. ^_^

~~

Good luck, and here's to a fast recovery and no need to do it again. (Oh yeah, my first time getting drunk will be as a toast to you, I hope you're happy. :tongue

Im sorry to hear of your pain. I fear that I am just beginning the journey down this path as well. I wish you good luck and good health, and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.

Yeeesh!!! Man, you can't catch a break with these continuing back problems. Wish you the best outcome with this, hopefully FINAL, back operation. Well, sounds like there will be good coming from it if you'll be able to walk straight without a cane, so here's hoping all the good far outweighs the bad by a large margin! Keep us posted!

~Pramrider

Son of a ... my comment didn't get posted (no bandwidth at the time).

The gist was this: HOPEFULLY they can straighten you out and permit unassisted walking. It must be agony to be pulled--even very slightly--to the side, and your muscles must be screaming.

Failing this, maybe they can just lacquer your spine with titanium so that at least you won't experience further fracture.

Don't worry ricky, I hear they let you eat all the ice cream you want!

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Sorry to hear it, buddy. That's never good to hear, but at least it sounds like things are looking up a little if you'll (hopefully) be able to ditch the cane in the not-so-distant future. Good luck and here's hoping that this 5th one is the last one you'll need.
    Thank you, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post
    I wish you luck in your surgery and healing process. I know they say once you have back surgery you will be having it for the rest of your life. But i hope this is not the case with you.

I wish you a safe surgery and a fast recovery.

^_^
    Well, I think I'm proving the saying true here. My wife works where she sees a lot of people in my condition, and it's surprising how many people keep having to have surgery after surgery. Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerale View Post
    Yay, walking!!

But... Will you keep the cane anyway? Please? I like imagining you as House. ^_^

~~

Good luck, and here's to a fast recovery and no need to do it again. (Oh yeah, my first time getting drunk will be as a toast to you, I hope you're happy. :tongue
    Hmm, House huh? LOL! Thanks! I wish I had his money and access to a hospital! Oh, do you think I'd be a good thing to get drunk over? But I appreciate the sentiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    Hope this going quick with little to no pain.
    Thanks Takashi.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    Im sorry to hear of your pain. I fear that I am just beginning the journey down this path as well. I wish you good luck and good health, and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.
    I hope you aren't going down this road, it's a hard one to travel,. Be careful, whatever you do, and remember, lift with your legs! And thanks for the well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Yeeesh!!! Man, you can't catch a break with these continuing back problems. Wish you the best outcome with this, hopefully FINAL, back operation. Well, sounds like there will be good coming from it if you'll be able to walk straight without a cane, so here's hoping all the good far outweighs the bad by a large margin! Keep us posted!

~Pramrider
    Thank you Pramrider, I know, it seems like it's a never ending cycle with me. I hope I can be straightened up with this one, the leaning to one side is really taxing on me. I'm going to hope for it, but I'm not going to count on it. I'd love to get rid of this cane once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Son of a ... my comment didn't get posted (no bandwidth at the time).

The gist was this: HOPEFULLY they can straighten you out and permit unassisted walking. It must be agony to be pulled--even very slightly--to the side, and your muscles must be screaming.

Failing this, maybe they can just lacquer your spine with titanium so that at least you won't experience further fracture.
    You have no idea H3g3l! If it wasn't for my cane, I would be in a wheel chair by now. I can only walk a short distance without it before my back is hurting so bad I have to sit down to relieve the pain and pressure. And I've often wondered if they ran those rods from top to bottom if I'd be any better off, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
    Don't worry ricky, I hear they let you eat all the ice cream you want!
    LOL!!! I think you're getting having your tonsils out mixed up with back surgery, but it's funny anyway, thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to try to get my surgery scheduled around the end of September or the first part of October. That way I'll hopefully be recovered enough to do the things I've got planned early next year, one of which is our annual trip down parts of old route 66. I'll be really disappointed if I miss that.

I'll keep you all posted when I find out anything. And thanks again for all your support. I'm glad that there are people that care, even for someone they've never met. Take care everyone. God Bless.

Rick