Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Slang

Default British Slang

So i was just on a random curious thought train when i came across a lil factiod that i think you guys can help me with.

So i know that Europe has some terms for certain objects like diapers and ciggarettes, Nappies and fags respectively. But i wanted to know, what other slang terms are out there that Europe uses that America doesnt.

aj1983

That's not really "slang", just words the british and americans use differntly. anyways the list of those is almost endless, check it out
    List of words having different meanings in British and American English

Well slang terms are different everywhere, so without knowing the american terms I can't say if the british terms are different.

On a similar note Nappy isn't slang, it is the word we use instead of diaper. Such as we say holiday instead of vacation, and toilet instead of restroom. See list above for more.

I think you will find the word nappy was derived from the word napkin, and that the material used to make a cloth nappy was known as the diaper cloth. This is where your word diaper actually originated from.
    Last edited by WoodlandWanderer; 03-Jul-2009 at 12:22. Reason: correcting grammar

Listern here me china. What we need to do is go down the rubber-dub-dub for some Nelson Mandela. There no need to worry theres no pairs.

If you don't know what I'm saying, check up on cockney rhyming slag.

Cor blimey look at the harry lime. I gotta go for me rosy and get a Joe Baxi. Don't be a tea leaf now.

Error404

They're all pretty much self explanatory other than a few things:

Biscuit
    Chips
    Gravy

Yeah, all seems to be in the food variety.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by m8mamiya View Post
    So i know that Europe has some terms for certain objects like diapers and ciggarettes, Nappies and fags respectively. But i wanted to know, what other slang terms are out there that Europe uses that America doesnt.
    Europe has many languages. I've never counted them, but I reckon there are at least 50. This should illustrate my point:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Languages_en.PNG

Oh, and English is not the most common native language in Europe, and probably not the most commonly used language in every day stuff either.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by aj1983 View Post
    anyways the list of those is almost endless, check it out
    List of words having different meanings in British and American English
    the list omitted the one i hate the most: guy.
    in english, a guy is an effigy (as per Guy Fawkes and "penny for the guy?" - that's where an effigy of Guy Fawkes is wheeled around and money requested before the guy is put on the bonfire).

oh, and peachy's lingo-map omits Cornish.

Peachy's linguo map misses more than just Cornish (though that language isn't spoken any more. It became extinct then people tried to revive it) - there are a great number of things that linguists consider separate languages that the average person off the street probably doesn't. This map doesn't show those, though it's pretty good for making the point of how many languages there are!

Darkfinn

I got a laugh out of the use of the term "Buggery" in a DVD I watched recently.