Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes of America

Default Stereotypes of America

This is something I'm interested in. I wish to hear some of the stereotypes about the United States of America from some of our forum members from places like Australia or Europe. Maybe other Americans on here or I could dispel some of those stereotypes.

hee hee hee! i had so much fun with this when i was in europe last summer! i got the craziest questions. lots of people thought that all americans own guns. i got asked if i own a gun, which is a pretty ridiculous question if you know me.

one polish guy i met believed that there aren't any small cars in america. he thought we all drive vans and trucks and SUVs and hummers. he kept pointing out sedans and station wagons on the highway around us and saying "so do you have cars like that? how about that one -- do you have those?"

a lot of the attitudes toward america that i encountered are fairly accurate, though. most europeans believe that america has lost its right to call itself a first-world country over the past twenty years, and i have to admit they make a fairly good case. our country's attitude toward things like the death penalty, gun control, abortion, and especially gay marriage is hopelessly dated. in recent decades european countries have really been on the cutting edge, thinking progressively, while america is just moving backwards.

This pretty much sums up what I think about America:

Enjoy your Dictatorship. Most of the rednecks and such I've seen who are all "YER AMERICA WE'RE TEH BEST!" don't realise that they're not a democracy, they're far from it. you can't call yourself a Democracy, And then have electronically counted votes (Which have been *proven* to be rigged) on voting days where you can choose to vote or just sit at home.

If America was truly democratic, they'd stick to the voting systems of Britain, Australia, and a crapload of other European countries.

As for what I think of Americans themselves? They're pretty cool. the majority are a little bit oblivious to what the rest of the world thinks about them, but they're ok.

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, from what I've experienced with Americans, here's what I could conclude about Americans.

1. You're loud. Way too loud. You're voice can be overheard in public from 300 feet away, yet you insist on speaking at such a level when people are standing right next to you.

2. You're presumptuous. You feel that the American way of doing things is the right and only way of doing things.

3. You're ignorant, particularly in the way of other people's cultures. The mentality of "if it doesn't exist in America, then it probably doesn't matter".

As a funny short story - I once told some Americans I had a paddock of kangaroos in my backyard and koalas in my trees. They believed me to the point where they kept asking me if they could come around and have a look. Asking me questions like, "Can you ride the kangaroos?" - Of course I responded with, "Yeah! Definitely! Especially when I want to avoid peak-hour traffic".

But yeah, that's just the impression I've gotten from Americans that have come down here. I'm not saying all Americans are like this, when in fact I think that a good portion of the population isn't this retarded. Perhaps when you guys travel around, you go into some sort of strange, weird "tourist mode". A mode that drops your intelligence, and ups your ego.

I can honestly say that most of my family is... well what you call Redneck (or what my dad calls it, Roughneck).

He... doesn't want to live here anymore. So there's a stereotype right there, Kradien .

We've been talking for years about moving back to the motherland (Ireland).

That image never got further then just wishful thinking, sadly.

No clue about the US.

In Canada, I heard about people believing that we all lived in igloos and there are a lot of stereotypes about Quebec French. For example, here we call lovers "blondes", and in France they call them "copines". But I read in a French magazine that in Quebec French, blonde meant girl. Oh well.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    In Canada, I heard about people believing that we all lived in igloos and there are a lot of stereotypes about Quebec French. For example, here we call lovers "blondes", and in France they call them "copines". But I read in a French magazine that in Quebec French, blonde meant girl. Oh well.
    Haha, igloos. I've heard that one. :P

Luckily, my experience with Canadians has been greatly positive. Very different to their southern counterparts. The impression I've been left with is that Canadians are a good bunch, hailing from a wonderful country. Props to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    1. You're loud. Way too loud. You're voice can be overheard in public from 300 feet away, yet you insist on speaking at such a level when people are standing right next to you.
    WE CERTAINLY DO NOT TALK WAY TOO LOUD. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT IDEA? Lol, but seriously it's true. Walk around the city for a day and just about everyone shouts while talking on the phone.

2. You're presumptuous. You feel that the American way of doing things is the right and only way of doing things.
    Also true, but definitely not my way of thinking, people are just too close minded these days

As a funny short story - I once told some Americans I had a paddock of kangaroos in my backyard and koalas in my trees. They believed me to the point where they kept asking me if they could come around and have a look. Asking me questions like, "Can you ride the kangaroos?" - Of course I responded with, "Yeah! Definitely! Especially when I want to avoid peak-hour traffic".
    I am not the least bit surprised that someone here would believe that

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    I'm Chinese/White and all-American. Let me start proudly with stereotypical traits.

Chinese: kung-fu masters, rice eaters, Honda-drivers, buck-toothed, slant-eyed, sneaky knife-stabbing, white woman-raping, gook-ass chinks.

There, is that enough? ^_^
    You forgot video game geeks. :P