Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Advice: Don't Smoke Cigarettes

Default Friendly Advice: Don't Smoke Cigarettes

Hi, I'm 21 years old. I've been smoking since the end of my Junior Year in High School.

Recently, my right lung has been hurting every time I take a deep breath. I've also been coughing up blood.

If you don't want to be like me, then please don't smoke.

-DBB

EmeraldsAndLime

Will do

Also, I take it you've seen a doctor about it? That's a serious problem you got there. Blood could pool up in your lungs and literally suffocate you from the inside. Might want to get that fixed ASAP.

Peachy

Every time a heavy smoker enters a bus/train (usually putting out their cigarette just milliseconds before entering), I find myself wondering which smell is worse: General body odor/bad breath, messy diaper, or the smell coming the clothes of heavy smokers. I probably find all of them equally disgusting and would prefer not to sit next to either a heavy smoker, an unbathed person, or someone in a messy diaper on the bus.

So on top of your own health, you also risk being the unpopular person on the bus, where the seat next to you will remain free no matter how cramped the bus is gonna me. In other words: Smokers stink!

Peachy

That is truly sad, Brian.

However I have known plenty of peopel who have died of lung illnesses, as non smokers. My grandpa included. He died of lung cancer. Never smoked in his life.

Yes, cigarettes increase the risk.. but I'm just saying, you could get it anyway..

My grandfather died of cancer too, and I believe my grandmother smoked for a while, too. My neighbor also lost her life due to lung cancer. And I've heard that a pack of cigarettes is an hour of your life lost.

There are truly horrible components in cigarettes, such as rat poison, tar, arsenic, methane, carbon monoxide...
    If you take these elements and see how they are normally used, it's as if you were consuming lighter fluid, candle wax, batteries, barbecue lighter, industrial solvents, insecticide, toilet cleaner, rocket fuel, poison, vinegar, sewer gas... It also contains Polonium 210, which is radioactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    By mass, polonium-210 is around 250,000 times more toxic than hydrogen cyanide (the actual LD50 for 210Po is about 1 microgram for an 80 kg person (see below) compared to about 250 milligram for hydrogen cyanide). The main hazard is its intense radioactivity (as an alpha emitter), which makes it very difficult to handle safely: one gram of Po will self-heat to a temperature of around 500 C. Even in microgram amounts, handling 210Po is extremely dangerous, requiring specialized equipment and strict handling procedures. Alpha particles emitted by polonium will damage organic tissue easily if polonium is ingested, inhaled, or absorbed (though they do not penetrate the epidermis and hence are not hazardous if the polonium is outside the body).
    http://www.eastcambsandfenland-pct.nhs.uk/images/library/Smoking/Whats-in-a-cigarette.gif
    http://www.emrupdate.com/images/resources/newsletters/cigarette.jpg
    http://www.la-cigarette.com/images/constituants-cigarette.jpg

I've been smoking since I was 13 (please don't hurt me.)

I really don't have any motive to quit, but I am still trying to wean myself off. :shy:

Quote Originally Posted by diapeybabybrian View Post
    Hi, I'm 21 years old. I've been smoking since the end of my Junior Year in High School.

Recently, my right lung has been hurting every time I take a deep breath. I've also been coughing up blood.

If you don't want to be like me, then please don't smoke.

-DBB
    Great advice, diapeybabybrian!

Though certainly not impossible, it doesn't seem likely you've developed lung cancer from smoking in only about 5 year's time. There could very well be something else going on in your lungs and the smoking is just aggravating the condition. But, yes, as others have said, seek medical attention immediately! Don't figure on waiting to see if the problem goes away on it's own. The sooner you seek treatment the better your chances of a quick and complete recovery, even if you have the beginnings of cancer cell development. Sure hope it's found not to be a serious condition.

~Pramrider

Darkfinn

just answer me this... why?

I don't understand why anyone of our generation would choose to smoke... with all the information out there that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that smoking will kill you... why would you pick up a cigarette?

I'll stick to one addiction at a time... diapers for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    just answer me this... why?

I don't understand why anyone of our generation would choose to smoke... with all the information out there that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that smoking will kill you... why would you pick up a cigarette?

I'll stick to one addiction at a time... diapers for now.
    The reason why is simple and I've heard it many times, because of stress. Smoking is a relaxing escape to people who choose to do it, just like diapers are for folks like us. Just like any other addiction.

Thanks for the advice dbb. My dad smokes and it's definitely not doing him any good, so I have more than enough reasons not to start.

I've been smoking since 14.

I smoke a pack a week, and frankly, I don't feel a motive to cut it.

Poster : You twit! Your going to be dead before your 60, maybe younger!

Dusk : Perhaps thats the case, but I don't want to live to be a 80 yr old snivelling incontinent wreck with alzhaimers and parkinsons disease either.

Poster : But you won't be that if you don't want too!

Dusk : Mistake. My grandfather was an anti-smoker, anti-drinker, and followed a very healthy diet. He was also a very intelectual and thoughtfull person. What killed him in the end? Heart Disease. What did he have at the last few years of his life? Alzheimers.

Poster : But life is sweet!

Dusk : Remember that phrase when you need someone to wash you, change you, and give you your medicine because you can't take care of yourself, and your brain is slowly rotting

Poster : But your death will be painfull and slow! Lung cancer hurts!

Dusk : Euthanasia. If I'm in pain, I'll wish I was dead anyways.

Poster : Would a doctor administer it?

Dusk : If I'm in pain, gonna die anyways, yes

HOWEVER!

I do not endorse other people to start smoking. It's a completely bullocks idea, unless of course you really don't fancy living over a certain age.
    So, all in all, I suggest most people with half a brain (unlike myself!) follow diaperbabybrians opinions on this, and not my slightly cynycal and satyrical (but true) post.