Thread: Harry Potter Books and Movies

Default Harry Potter Books and Movies

The latest Harry Potter movie: Harry Potter And The Half Bood Prince is being released next month.

What are your opinion of all the Harry Potter books and movies?

What is your favorite or least favorite?

I liked the books/movies when I was younger and have read books 1-5 and have seen movies 1-5 but I don't know if I will see movies 6,7, and 8. The eighth being if they do go through with their plan to make the seventh book 2 movies.

Least favourite was always Prisoner of Azkaban. I think it lacks the same level of excitement as the rest. Not a huge fan of the films as the books allow your imagination to soar and wander much more. Absolutely love the series and will be reading the stories to my future kids.

Quote Originally Posted by fuctifano View Post
    Least favourite was always Prisoner of Azkaban. I think it lacks the same level of excitement as the rest. Not a huge fan of the films as the books allow your imagination to soar and wander much more. Absolutely love the series and will be reading the stories to my future kids.
    It's interesting how opinions differ. Prisoner of Azkaban was my absolute favorite of the books. I could feel the transition she was making from a just-for-kids series to a kids-and-adults series near the end of that book, and the twists that she pulls -- while perhaps a bit cliche -- were absolutely fascinating as I was reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    It's interesting how opinions differ. Prisoner of Azkaban was my absolute favorite of the books. I could feel the transition she was making from a just-for-kids series to a kids-and-adults series near the end of that book, and the twists that she pulls -- while perhaps a bit cliche -- were absolutely fascinating as I was reading it.
    Then perhaps my age at the time was one of the reasons I didn't fully appreciate the Prisoner of Azkaban. I started reading the first book about a week after it came out and I was 8 years old so back then I was still appreciating the child like aspects of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    I could feel the transition she was making from a just-for-kids series to a kids-and-adults series near the end of that book, and the twists that she pulls -- while perhaps a bit cliche -- were absolutely fascinating as I was reading it.
    True that. Not to mention that Lupin is a total baller. I also thought the time travel device was interesting! I didn't see it coming.

I just finished the first book and liked it. Because I'm writing my first novel, I wanted to see how I compared and was shocked to see how similar we are. I was more interested in how she handled her dialogue, how she moved her characters from one situation to the next, and what connecting devices she used.

If you analyze the first book, it starts out slowly, but sets the initial mystery, a question that must be answered. Each devise gets the reader closer and closer, but also builds the tension. She handles it quite well. The first movie was good, but the book was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    True that. Not to mention that Lupin is a total baller. I also thought the time travel device was interesting! I didn't see it coming.
    Agreed! Prisoner of Azkaban is definitely my favorite.

I loved Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows, but POA still holds a special place in my heart. :3

Meh. The books or movies were never my slice of cake... I watched a few of the movies because they were on TV and I was bored, but I never was that interested in them.