Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installin ubuntu

Default Installin ubuntu

so it's finaly come to this. after years and years of almost trashing my computer because windows is so fucking frustrating, it's finaly died for good. windows didn't crash, but something sure happened to it and now it's all screwed up in ways that I can't even explain to you.

partly because i'm sick of windows, and partly because i don't have a clue on how to reinstall it, i'm moving on up in the world.

My friend gave me a CD of this thing called ubuntu. he said it's a lot better operating system than windows, so I'm giving it a go. Even as we speak I'm using it as a live session user, but I havn't installed it yet. now, because I'm computarted, I have a few questions to those of you who've used ubuntu:

- I have a lot of microsoft word documents on windows. If I save them to a flashdrive and then import them into ubuntu, will they be compatible with ubuntu's word processor?

- Does iTunes work on ubuntu? If not, how can I get music onto my iPod from ubuntu?

- The package says "By default, installing Ubuntu will erase all existing software and data from your computer. If this is not what you want, you can install Ubuntu alongside your existing operating system instead." Which option is better? Windows is all fucked up, but not so much that it isn't usable. Should I keep it just in case?

- I created a movie using windows movie maker. If I bring that over to ubuntu (with the flash drive) is there something I can play it on? Edit it on? ect?
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 29-Jun-2009 at 17:49.

While I don't know anything about ubuntu, I can tell you this is what works for me: I keep my recovery disc handy, and about once every year or two when it starts running slow, I yank the stuff I absolutely need from the hard drive onto my external drive, and do a clean install of Windows that erases everything but the necessary information.

My computer's been running like a charm ever since. Maybe a year or two down the road I'll need to do it again. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post

- I have a lot of microsoft word documents on windows. If I save them to a flashdrive and then import them into ubuntu, will they be compatible with ubuntu's word processor?
    Yes, provided it's up to date (I don't know how old a version of ubuntu is on the disc your friend gave you.), if it's not, and they are from office 2007, you will need to download an update first.

- Does iTunes work on ubuntu? If not, how can I get music onto my iPod from ubuntu?
    No iTunes, but unless your using the iPod Touch/iPhone, you can get other programs to sync your iPod.

- The package says "By default, installing Ubuntu will erase all existing software and data from your computer. If this is not what you want, you can install Ubuntu alongside your existing operating system instead." Which option is better? Windows is all fucked up, but not so much that it isn't usable. Should I keep it just in case?
    Provided you have the Windows disc, and nothing important saved on your computer, it'll be easier to just totally delete it.

- I created a movie using windows movie maker. If I bring that over to ubuntu (with the flash drive) is there something I can play it on? Edit it on? ect?
    I've never used Windows Movie Maker, so someone who's used it could answer better. It all depends if it uses a standard video format.

Just one warning: Gaming on Linux isn't the same as Windows. It's much more complicated to install games.

EDIT: Woo! post #500. I can't believe I missed it when I was looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Hex; 30-Jun-2009 at 16:19.

Thanks dreamaker. I don't care about games because I don't game, so that's cool.

One more question to whoever wants to answer: Can I install Msn on Ubuntu?

OpenOffice (Ubuntu's suite) has compatibility with Office documents, yes.

No, iTunes does not. I use gtkpod and/or Banshee if I need to, those are good iPod-compatible apps.

Toss it, not worth the hassle.

Probably, yes. I stress probably because there's a lot of "restricted codecs" that you can install for the compatibilities, but I've never looked into WMM.

Can I install Msn on Ubuntu?
    Ubuntu comes with Pidgin, the universal chat client which is a multi-protocol IM client. I use it, and it works with MSN/AIM/Yahoo and tons of others, so yes.

You can't install MSN, but you can connect to the MSN Network using Pidgin. Click Application -> Internet -> Pidgin. Its easy!

Personally, I'd get everything you need off the windows partition and then slick the entire drive. Then you have a nice clean install. Also, if you don't already have 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) then you might want to download a copy of it.

Okay, for some reason when I bought my computer it didn't come with any windows cds.

..... but what the hell! Imma toss the sucker anyways! windows vista has caused me nothing but grief!
    I'm off to get a flashdrive tonight, and then the replacement will begin...

EDIT: I'm just moving my files over onto the flashdrive now. I'll see you all after the operation and tell you how it went.

See you on the other side...
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 29-Jun-2009 at 22:24.

You can install MSN on ubuntu if you use wine for linux. But sometimes wine can be a headache. But it works I use it for my linux

Well, the operation was a huge sucess. boy, the grass certainly is greener over here.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    You can install MSN on ubuntu if you use wine for linux. But sometimes wine can be a headache. But it works I use it for my linux
    I wouldnt recommend that. Avoid wine and use native apps if possible. I'd really regard it as a last fallback. Pidgin handles it just fine.

btw.:If you want a different look there are many alternatives available. Some of good quality wourld be:
    Shiki Colors or Ubuntu Dust maybe its even inside the repos by now.