Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what exactly does it mean to be a furry?

Default what exactly does it mean to be a furry?

just as the title says. this seems interesting 2 me but i don't really understand it at all.

can somebody help explain it 2 me? thx.

Asher

Well, as definitions go, this is the closest you are going to get to categorizing all furries into one category:

The furry fandom refers to the fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics.

To be a furry is a very broad definition in itself. It contains many subcategories, so it can never be fully established with one definition. In essence, it truly depends on the individual. For some, it is the costumes; for some, it is the stories. Some people just love the art. To be a furry is truly an individualistic and unique experience for every person in the fandom.

- Asher

so a furry is pretty much somebody who like wishes they could be an animal of their choice and acts it out in virtual life? am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    so a furry is pretty much somebody who like wishes they could be an animal of their choice and acts it out in virtual life? am i right?
    Not all furries wish to be an animal, in fact, very few furries would want to be a real (feral) animal. Most would prefer to be anthropomorphic, and even only some wish it.

Furry is somewhat of an outlook. It is for you to decide for yourself if you want to 'label' yourself as a furry, as it is a subjective thing for each person.

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaRoo View Post
    Not all furries wish to be an animal, in fact, very few furries would want to be a real (feral) animal. Most would prefer to be anthropomorphic, and even only some wish it.

Furry is somewhat of an outlook. It is for you to decide for yourself if you want to 'label' yourself as a furry, as it is a subjective thing for each person.
    what does anthropomorphic mean?

sorry. i'm just clueless.

Mesmerale

just as the title says. this seems interesting 2 me but i don't really understand it at all.

can somebody help explain it 2 me? thx.
    I'll do my best, based off of what others have said...

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Well, as definitions go, this is the closest you are going to get to categorizing all furries into one category:

The furry fandom refers to the fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics.

To be a furry is a very broad definition in itself. It contains many subcategories, so it can never be fully established with one definition. In essence, it truly depends on the individual. For some, it is the costumes; for some, it is the stories. Some people just love the art. To be a furry is truly an individualistic and unique experience for every person in the fandom.

- Asher
    To simplify the definition above:

To be a furry means that you act as if you are an animal with human personalities, characteristics, and behaviors.

Sort of. Like KaylaRoo said...

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaRoo View Post

~~~~~~~~~~

To, to put it simply, it's a bit impossible to define concretely.

I've always put it this way:

If you asked six furries what it meant to be a furry, you would get seven answers.

what does anthropomorphic mean?

sorry. i'm just clueless.
    It means (to some extent) "with humanoid traits and sometimes human-like body parts / body structure."

so anthropomorphic animals r like perzonified animals i take it? like they can talk and stuff?

Anthropomorphic. Ever see sonic the hedgehog? That's sorta like it.

Mesmerale

so anthropomorphic animals are like personified animals i take it? like they can talk and stuff?
    That is a great way to put it. Yes.