Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High School Shootings.

Default High School Shootings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5kMiYrWsXY

'I don't like mondays' was the phrase some 30 years ago a girl named Brenda Ann Spencer said when she was asked why she went on a killing spree, killing 2 people and injuring 9.

'Are you a christian?' Erric Harris asked a girl with a gun pointed at her. When she answered yes, he promtly shot her.

'But I'll be famous'' was a message Asa Coon left before he shot himself.

As you figured, I'm talking about High School shootings.

What scares me is the fact that there are more and more angry, depressed and slightly unstable students willing to take a gun and start killing people. Guns today are much easier to attain aswell today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

The link above shows it. We haven't quite got over 2007, and theres already 3 Shootings in 2008.

What are your opinions about this homicidal phenomena? Is it as some people say 'The music kids listen to?'. Is it just our modern society that promotes people to go off the edge?. Is it the idea of 'fame' that glistens the eyes of saddened youth?

Free discussion.

For more brainfood on School shootings, Watch Bowling for Coloumbine, and the black comedy Natural Born Killers

No... guns are easier to obtain in America... other places have realistic gun laws...

What scares me, is it seems like these people are graduating and going to college, and continuing their shooting sprees there.

I mean recently there's Virginia Tech, North Illinois, and some guy who murdered someone at NC State and they think it was a random act...

As for why the shootings.. I wish I knew. It seems like we've got a lot of deeply disturbed individuals who are coming upon guns (obviously nothing good can come of this).

As for gun laws, it doesn't make a difference for high school shootings. I don't know of any state that allows people who are under 18 to buy firearms. In many places, you need to be 21 to get a handgun. Obviously these kids aren't procuring the guns through legal channels.

I don't think it's because of the music we listen to that it happens, it's like saying that it's influenced by violent video games, which isn't true at all. I play No More Heroes and I'm perfectly sane. I think it's just because these people hate society for some reason, be it because of past events, mental disorders or other factors. They are most likely suicidal and want the world to remember them as the defenders of whatever cause, such as a religion, race, ideology, sex... It varies a lot between those people, and I can't help but think of it as "minor terrorism". It happened last year near my school. Kimveer Gill killed one girl in College Dawson and injured some students before shooting himself. That makes me realize that it can happen to about anyone, people just don't really care about it until it's too late.

I think maybe the fame thing is a big issue. Ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up and they often say "a footballer", "a model", "a rockstar"... or some just answer "I want to be famous"!
    We do live in a society where celebrities are seen as being really important, and it seems like we should be aiming at becoming famous, and by doing that we'll be happy. It's pretty disgusting.

But that's a different issue really. One big problem is the fact that these kids can actually get hold of a gun! Do you know how hard it would be for me to get a gun? (A: very) Getting hold of a gun should be a difficult thing to do, and you should have to prove yourself as being safe and not a threat (and that includes the threat of you allowing the gun to be accessed by someone else!).

But then the gun thing is a different issue really. I think there's a lot of things that's wrong with how schools are (I can't really talk for elsewhere in the world but I'm sure that the problems are often universal) and some days you can't help but daydream about shooting everyone down and turning the gun on yourself!
    People who need help should get it; all schools should have well-trained therapists in them.

I know shootings can happen reguardless... But the poor gun control America has doesn't help keep them from emotionally unstable peoples...

Okay I defintely think that increased gun control is not going to solve anything. Like it was said before, high, middle, and elementary school shooters obviously arn't buying themfrom stores so what is increased gun control going to do for them?
    Now I think the main reason that people go on shooting sprees is because of society pushing them over the edge. Right now in my life I am in a similar place, I am pretty pissed at society as a whole as of right now, and have been for the past 2 years. Why? Because I am sick and tired of majority of guys being Aholes and treating girls like crap, which therefore gives all guys a bad rep, including the good ones. I am a guy who has nver hit a girl, and never even called a girl a bad name duragatory or not (well not to their face anyways). Yet every girl looks at me as an Ahole just because I am a guy. So most of the time I am not even given a chance. Then when I am given a chance I turn out to be too nice and turn out to be the brother they never had or their best friend. Well let me tell you I AM F***ING SICK AND TIRED OF THIS BS!!! It is not fair to me and all the other good guys there are, even though yes there is not many good guys. So because of the way society is in the aspect, sometimes I do day dream about shooting up all the girls and all the Ahole guys for ruining my relationships in life.

That is a perfect example of how society just pushes people over the edge. The people around them, friends and family, need to recognize when a person is feeling against society so they can get them some help before they do anything bad. Now for myself, I do not need an therapy because that is not going to change how I feel about society, because how I feel about society is how it really is. All I can do is just try to keep myself sane and focus on other joys of life even if I am lonely constantly... :cry:

If you need a damn good reason to own a gun, I don't see students getting there hands on one unless they stole it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mysika View Post
    If you need a damn good reason to own a gun, I don't see students getting there hands on one unless they stole it...
    Of course they steal it, where else do you think they get it from? 90% of the time they steal it or "borrow" it from their parents, or someone in their family. If not then they buy it off the street, so regulating the purchase of guns in stores won't do crap for any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I think maybe the fame thing is a big issue. Ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up and they often say "a footballer", "a model", "a rockstar"... or some just answer "I want to be famous"!
    We do live in a society where celebrities are seen as being really important, and it seems like we should be aiming at becoming famous, and by doing that we'll be happy. It's pretty disgusting.
    That is so true. Really, it is. I think my headteacher said ages ago that 90% or so primary school kids felt that to be happy they had to be famous.

These shootings are made from mentally ill people. It was unfortunate that they weren't taking care of soon enough. Because of there illnesses, things like their imagination, games and films have a much greater influence on their behaviour.