Thread: I enjoy it ... but I don't want to go

Default I enjoy it ... but I don't want to go

OK, I was wondering if anyone else feels like this. As some of you may know I have fencing lessons. I go to these lessons every Tuesday, and once I get there I always love it. It really hypes me up and I am buzzing for ages afterwards. It's a great feeling to have and in the week it is one of the few things I consistently enjoy.

However, based on how much I look forward to going you wouldn't think that. Before I go, sometimes right from the start of the day, just the thought of going really gets me down. I just feel like I really don't want to go, even though I know I will enjoy it when I get there. It's a crazy feeling. I will just be sitting there, getting ready to go and my mind will be going "Noooo!" but as soon as I am there and I get going I get really hyper and I feel great, even if I get tired out.

I was wondering if anyone else feels like this about something, or if they have a possible explanation as to why someone could feel like I do with fencing. Your help and ideas are much appreciated.

I kinda understand what you mean, I play football twice a week and sometimes I just really don't want to go, even though I love football more than most things in the world.

Also, I notice your name is spelt slightly wrong in your Rolemodel banner thing. *Suspects you of stealing somebody else's banner*

My guess is it has something to do with the adrenaline rush you get from fencing. Perhaps your body "senses" the adrenaline rush coming by your imagining the practice coming up and so experience a down feeling before you get your kick.

Just throwing out a guess...

Peachy

I think you're just human...humans are inherently lazy. They're too lazy to get up that hill even if they know that sliding down will be a lot of fun. THe same applies to your fencing: Getting there is just effort you have to go through to get to the fun, and sometimes you're just too lazy to deal with it.

That'S why everyone needs someone to kick them in the ass to get things going. I've wondered many times what people could achieve if they had received a kick in the butt more often!

Peachy

Usually when I get hyped for anything coming up, depending on how far away it is, I end up thinking about it not being as good as I originally thought it was.

An interesting topic. At first, I was having trouble connecting with the idea, but now I think I can sympathize to an extent.

There's something I know is good for me, something I want to do (a desire which lasts most of the day), something that should leave me feeling better, healthier, and will save me money--but for all that, I can't bring myself to do it. It doesn't make any sense. Reflecting on the absurdity of the situation makes it seem a bit easier, but only just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I think you're just human...humans are inherently lazy. They're too lazy to get up that hill even if they know that sliding down will be a lot of fun. THe same applies to your fencing: Getting there is just effort you have to go through to get to the fun, and sometimes you're just too lazy to deal with it.

That'S why everyone needs someone to kick them in the ass to get things going. I've wondered many times what people could achieve if they had received a kick in the butt more often!

Peachy
    Peachy pretty much nailed it on the head.

I think it's because doing something like fencing puts you in a completely different state of mind compared to what you do throughout the day. Once you get in that state of mind it's great....but when you're out of that state of mind, it seems like a chore. During the day you view the activity as work, and as a few people have mentioned, even changing your state of mind takes work.

But I think most people feel this way about these kinds of activities...I know I have. Sometimes my laziness gets so bad I even feel this way about reading or even playing video games...it's hard to motivate myself to do it sometimes because I just get so lazy.